Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sent our Florida packets in the last week of January and still have not heard a thing. They teased us by cashing our check a month ago! I looked online and it appears by law they have to process them within 90 days. So I guess this means we should have them by the end of April.

Anyone sent a florida packet in and received their permit yet? How long did yours take?

The indoor range, that holds CWP classes every other Sunday, mentioned that the class from end of December just received their permits and only 3 from the first January class had theirs. Florida has had to hire additional data input types to handled the overwhelming requests that began in November '08.

I've been reading about delays with new applications.

My renewal sent in February this year was back to me in two weeks.

My older son moved to DC and had to change his CCW to an out of state permit.

The process took him over 6 months with multiple problems, phone calls and delays. On the positive side they are clearly trying to work with CCWs and get them done. I know from his calls they were always co operative.

Even gun-friendly states ignore statutory delays with impunity.

The time limit to issuance in NH is 15 days, but it routinely takes them a month or two to process them now. Unless it's a big enough issue for a well funded court case, laws are merely guidelines to government agencies.

I wish I could find the source. I saw a number a while back about how many apps they had in waiting. I was guessing it was the non-res stuff getting pushed to the back burner because the res permits were required to go out in a certain amount of time.

Just speculating...

Shop in Bossier City (La) made a Fla call today to ask about the 140 applicants from his recent CWP classes and approximately 60 renewals. He was told the renewals are being worked ahead of new applications. This would included resident and non-resident renewals.

If you have applied for a concealed weapon or firearm license, you can check the status of your application by calling our Public Inquiry Section at (850) 245-5691.

Sent out of state app in November 14 08. I called three days after 90 days was up and after a long time on hold a very nice lady help me out. She appoligized for the delay and noticed it was past the 90 state statue limit. She said she will send it to a supervisor and hope it speeds up the process. Two weeks later it arrived.

From Florida's website:

Eligibility Requirements

You must be 21 years of age or older.

You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.

Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) AND be a US citizen or deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If you are serving overseas in the US Armed Forces, submit a copy of your deployment documentation with your application. If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien with proof you have resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.