Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone here using a suppressor?

kgunz11

I recently got a Pandora brake from Liberty Suppressors and had my SRT Shadow can retrofitted for the brake until my Form IV clears with the BATFE. I did a little write up on the brake and included some videos for those interested in sound suppression devices. Here's a link to the article. More to come...

Pandora brake on a .308

kgunz...I'm glad you like your pandora's box. I just saw one this weekend at Knob Creek machine guns shoot. This was David's first year at KCR shoot so that was pretty cool.

He had a bolt gun in 300 whisper at his table that was AWESOME...the integrated barrel looked like a 40mm grenade tube made from Ti. All you'd hear when he shot it was "click" - no kidding - of course there was the thump when the round struck the berm...as it was a clients rifle he wouldn't let me have it... ;) Here's a video of that one...he calls it Thor's hammer....this thing is freaky...imho

David is a great guy. I have one of his cans on my MP5...you can see it somewhere on his site.

Full disclosure...David is a good personal friend and my 3Gun "Sponsor"...OK so I get a bunch of tshirts...oh and he's going to update my can with an update...we've been camping down there Knob Creek since he was a mere GE machinist...so maybe I'm a bit biased. Maybe I should update my avatar... B)

But if you ever talk to him you'll know in short order that he's a real "straight shooter"...and maybe a bit of a slow talker :P I guess its a Georgia-thang...

:cheers:

Always glad to hear people enjoying his products.

Yeah, David IS a great dude, there are few like him, and none better. I shot "Thor's Hammer" the other day at his shop, it is quite impressive. It's a .300 Whisper built on a Remington 700 S/A with a Hart 1/8 twist bbl 15" long with a permanently mounted can attachment point. The can is an additional 10" long, but is a reflex design that goes all the way back to the recoil lug so it looks like it is integrally suppressed, even though it's not. That's why the barrel looks like it is 1.5" in diameter. The can is Ti so everything about it is light weight and very handy. He says it's the quietest gun in the world, and I have to believe that, I've never heard anything quieter. It makes less noise than a Daisy Red Rider bb gun!!!

David says he is going to start making them to sell. I don't think he will be able to build them fast enough!

I have a YHM Phantom QD, mainly for my .300 Whispers (9" AR and a 16" Rem700). The AR is pretty quiet and the Rem is stupid quiet. A littel heavy though as it is a steel can. I had my gunsmith remove the flash hider portion of the QD from the adapter on the Rem700, and I'm thinking of having him do the same thing on my .308 Rem700 5R.

I do enjoy shooting with a supressor, very pleasant.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a can on my AR and love it because of not having to wear ear protection in the heat. Have cans for 45 Glock and also for 1911. Have not been able to get the noise down on the 1911 like the Glock so some homework is in order...even though it is legal to shoot where I live, at least 500 homes can hear....another fun toy...

• 4 weeks later...

I just started using a AAC M4-2000 on my AR. My main take-away is: this is too cool. I wish our national-level 3-gun rules encouraged the use of suppressors! It makes shooting .223 seem like .22LR.

I haven't done a side-by-side with any others but I will say I like the quick detach feature quite a bit. Zero seems to be very consistent any time I put the can on. If I had to do it over, I probably would have looked at the SureFire cans as their quick detach is on top of their brake/comp vs. just a flash hider. That seems ideal for my purposes.

But, a few learnings for this noob can shooter. Lube, lube, lube -- with all that extra crap coming back to the carrier, things get bone dry in a hurry. I'm also running a lightened (currently the JP LMOS) carrier and will probably swap in a slightly heavy (not quite milspec) carrier as some full mag round strips are falling short. Granted, I'm running a light buffer spring, light buffer, etc.

I have a TBAC 30P coming for my AI AW .308 so I'm definitely becoming a can snob.

Edited by Ken Kwiat

On my Rem700 (.308) I use an AAC Cyclone. I'll be using for deer hunting this year on my 6.8SPC upper as well.

700.jpg

68upper.jpg

For 3gun I don't use one. I may add a Noveske switchblock and then use one on a AAC 51 tooth muzzle brake which kinda looks like a Bennie Cooley brake.

I use an AAC M4-2000 Mod 07 on my 10" SBR.

4sell011.jpg

4sell007.jpg

Edited by gotm4

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I run one on my .260 that is made by Shark Suppressors. Very quiet, very light.

I also have a Shark can. I cant believe I waited so long to start buying suppressors. Think of all the money I save on ear plugs.

• 1 month later...

I run one on my .260 that is made by Shark Suppressors. Very quiet, very light.

I also have a Shark can. I cant believe I waited so long to start buying suppressors. Think of all the money I save on ear plugs.

I have a YHM SS Phantom on my 10.5" AR. I tried running it in a carbine match but the shot timer would not pick it up. SO I opted to run a 16" gun unsuppressed instead.

Here are a few of the one’s that I have built. The first one is a 9mm integral on an AR, I made it integral so it was 16.125” OAL and I only needed one stamp.

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

Because that one didn’t come off I built another for a MAC 10 that was similar in construction but larger in diameter. I added a heat shield after the first test run as it gets hot but the aluminum K’s have held up to the FA fire.

DSC01884.jpg

maccan.jpg

The last one I built was for a 458 socom. I wanted more volume than I had in the 9mm cans but didn’t want the rifle to be 5’ long so I machined a sort of flash hider to accept .025” 4130 tube that would slip back over the barrel and form an expansion chamber. The rest was built upon the same concept as the other two with one exception. I welded the 458 can together and the 9mm’s can be taken apart.

weld1.jpg

sxsxs.jpg

excmon.jpg

weld.jpg

parts.jpg

458socom.jpg

jmorris, thanks for sharing photos - I really look forward to seeing pics of your fabrication work! quick question re: baffle design - looks like you went with individual k baffles for the 9mm, any particular reason for this vs. a monolithic stack? or maybe I am just misreading the baffle photo from your 9mm ar... thanks for any info you can share!

-jaredr

I have both mono core and K baffle .22 suppressors and the K is quieter, so I went with K’s on the others I built. They have to be done individually because no machine exists that could cut them out of a section of bar stock in a complete stack.

I have both mono core and K baffle .22 suppressors and the K is quieter, so I went with K's on the others I built.

ahh bummer, the mono core appeared easier to fabricate. ah well, no free lunch there... thanks for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...
The end cap is replaceable, I have 1/2-28, 5/8-24, 3/4-28

You might want to give the NFA branch a call on that one 304-616-4500. When I contacted them to see if that was OK or not they told me any silencer part was considered a silencer. No extra baffles, end caps or tubes. If they do say its OK get a clarification letter.

Edited by jmorris

• 4 weeks later...