Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best book for Revo shooting?

Model19

I'm thinking about adding to my library of shooting books and want something more wheelgun technique specific. Any suggestions? Most of the published works are strictly bottom-feeder oriented and reading whole chapters on reload with retention, etc, does not help me much.

If you want to go retro and can wade through the old fashioned writing here are some

Ed McGiverns Fast and Fancy revolver shooing is pretty interesting. He did amazing things with S&W's There could be something to be learned from his methods. Bill Jordan's "No 2nd place" is worth a read but short. Elmer Keith's books are also worth reading but not particularly relevant to match shooting with revolvers.

Modern ? Brian's book has a bit on Revolvers, that's all I know of. Any others would like to know myself

Boats

I have been looking for good books for revolver shooting focused on competition. I heve yet to find any that really suit what I am looking for. I understand that auto shooters are more numerous, but someone could at least have a section of their book or segment of their video focused on revolvers. :(

I have even had trouble finding many sources on revolver use for defensive purposes. Thunder Ranch has some videos that cover revolver use, but that is about all I have come across.

Come out and shoot matches, do the thing. Figure it out. A book isn't going to tell you much other than that some types of things are possible.

The best reference for wheelgun technique is this Revolver Forum. Go back and read it from the beginning if you have a mind to read. But if the intent is to become capable of doing something the only way is to do it, and do it a lot, preferably with wheelgunners who are further down the road than you are.

People don't write books anymore I guess.

Boats

My guess is that there would have to be a perceived market that makes economic sense for someone to set out and write a book. The revolver world, especially the revolver competition world is not overly large. And do get Jerry's video - a tremendous visual resource.

Boats

My guess is that there would have to be a perceived market that makes economic sense for someone to set out and write a book. The revolver world, especially the revolver competition world is not overly large. And do get Jerry's video - a tremendous visual resource.

For sure, although modern methods make publishing a book much cheaper than before the Internet is still how we get obscure information these days. Shame I like books. Sometimes I think back about how I used to research oddball topics and how long it took. Today you can get instant answers to almost any question. May not be correct but they are fast.

Boats

Boats

For sure, although modern methods make publishing a book much cheaper than before the Internet is still how we get obscure information these days. Shame I like books. Sometimes I think back about how I used to research oddball topics and how long it took. Today you can get instant answers to almost any question. May not be correct but they are fast.

Boats

I'm a book fan too. Some people have a hard time learning from just reading, but that has never been a problem for me. Range time, or hands on in any subject that deals with an actual physical activity, is the final training ground of course. But you can still learn and possibly skip some dead ends or bad habits you might have developed yourself by reading what other knowledgeable people have to say. I find if I read something and review it enough, appropriate sentences can appear in my brain as I do the activity, giving me guidance. I know, what an egghead. But it works for me.

And the winter is long and cold up here with 3 feet of snow covering the range. So at least reading can keep my head in the game.

Mike, I had thoughts more in the line of "Hillbilly IPSC" For Gregg's Picture in the Front Site. I am toying with the idea now and have started writing. I wanted to cover stuff like the reload, draw, rigs, and tactics plus a couple more items. I've only got to 5000 words so far so it may just turn into a primer, like the ones we had in first grade. "See Bubber. See Bubber run. Run Bubber run. Someone get Cliff a beer. " :roflol: later rdd

Carmoney that's not a bad idea. Video's are good but they don't go into the depth a book can. Look at Brians book, have owned it 10 plus years and go back time and time again to refer or refresh on some point.

What with computers and easy printing a small run of books is not hard to do. All you need is an outline and somebody who can spell wright to Goost it up. I would say there is a pretty big gap on Revolver shooting.

Boats

Carmoney that's not a bad idea. Video's are good but they don't go into the depth a book can. Look at Brians book, have owned it 10 plus years and go back time and time again to refer or refresh on some point.

What with computers and easy printing a small run of books is not hard to do. All you need is an outline and somebody who can spell wright to Goost it up. I would say there is a pretty big gap on Revolver shooting.

Boats

Too true. Give it a shot. You can always publish it electronically. I don't know how that exactly works, but if our most famous citizen here, an obscure author named Stephen King, has done it, I bet you can!

Most of you guys won't remember this, but I was actually a bona fide gunwriter, back in the early '90s. I even had a masthead editorial title in one of the gun rags for awhile! I published a number of articles in American Handgunner, American Rifleman, Gun World, Police Marksman, Women & Guns, and even several chapters in some of those big paperback DBI Books.

It was fun for a little while, then it really started to feel like work. Plus at that time period in my life I really wanted to focus my efforts on improving my competitive shooting game, and didn't want to be distracted by having to write articles on the matches I was attending.

I'll tell you who could write a really good book on revolver shooting from a highly knowledgeable perspective--Patrick Sweeney. If he did a wheelgun version of the books he's done on the 1911, Glock, and AR15, it would be a great read and a valuable resource!

Mike, I had thoughts more in the line of "Hillbilly IPSC" For Gregg's Picture in the Front Site. I am toying with the idea now and have started writing. I wanted to cover stuff like the reload, draw, rigs, and tactics plus a couple more items. I've only got to 5000 words so far so it may just turn into a primer, like the ones we had in first grade. "See Bubber. See Bubber run. Run Bubber run. Someone get Cliff a beer. " :roflol: later rdd

I'll wait for Bubber's book. He's promised me a part in the movie