Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm accuracy

1911vm

Shot with some guys that used a 9mm SBRs at the Ky state match and they where getting their hits at 100 yards. You would here a bang.......................smack lol.

Can anyone corroborate the claim that any barrel length beyond say six inches will slow your typical 9mm bullet?

Being that the 9mm was intended as a pistol cartidge after all.

BB

What kind of accuracy should I expect out of a 9mm AR?

I have a Rock River and I can get about 2" at 50 yards. Rock River says on their website that it will shoot 1.5" at 50, so I guess they are probably right. They are a lot of fun to shoot and they are cheaper to shoot also. I usually try to shoot mine in matches that are less than 100 yards.

Edited by DeweyH

Can anyone corroborate the claim that any barrel length beyond say six inches will slow your typical 9mm bullet?

Being that the 9mm was intended as a pistol cartidge after all.

Your exact results will vary depending on ammo and barrel, but these guys did a lot of testing. None of the tests showed slowing after 6", most accelerated out past 14" or so. However, I expect a barely-minor load for competition will be slowing a lot before it gets to 16".

Lee

I can get about 1.75 to 2" groups at 50 yds with my colt 6450. I have only chronoed 1 round, it was a magsafe indoor defense round. I think they are like 80 grains or something like that, with birdshot in the hollow point. If I remember correctly, it ran something like 2000 fps out of the AR. I was pretty impressed. When I used to run my 6450 in 3 gun competitions, i had no problem with the 8" plates at 50-75 yds, but like was mentioned earlier, there is a distinct pause before you hear the impact on the steel.

Honestly I am kind of disappointed I have been looking for a pistol caliber rifle and my friends basic camp 9 does almost identical accuracy. So why spend almost triple the price on 9mm AR. Is it just the cool factor? Or am I missing something?

Vlad

I guess you have to ask yourself what would you rather have? A marlin, or a colt, a AR, or a canoe paddle. Just kidding. I think the reason I bought one, was because I was pretty familiar with the AR system, and there are tons of accesories for these types of rifles. What kind of magazine capacity does the marlin have? If i remember correctly, it is only about 16rnds or so, the AR will acccept standard 20, 32, and 100 rnd beta mags. So i think it all boils down to what you want, and what you want to do with it. I love my colt, and it has ran perfectly since I have owned it. Sorry for the highjack OP.

I guess you have to ask yourself what would you rather have? A marlin, or a colt, a AR, or a canoe paddle. Just kidding. I think the reason I bought one, was because I was pretty familiar with the AR system, and there are tons of accesories for these types of rifles. What kind of magazine capacity does the marlin have? If i remember correctly, it is only about 16rnds or so, the AR will acccept standard 20, 32, and 100 rnd beta mags. So i think it all boils down to what you want, and what you want to do with it. I love my colt, and it has ran perfectly since I have owned it. Sorry for the highjack OP.

No highjack it all cool. 32rd S&W 5906 I think work well. and check out this stuff I just foundcheers:

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mv...ccessories/MZ-9

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Magazines/marlin/marlin.asp

Honestly I am kind of disappointed I have been looking for a pistol caliber rifle and my friends basic camp 9 does almost identical accuracy. So why spend almost triple the price on 9mm AR. Is it just the cool factor? Or am I missing something?

Vlad

It is not just the cool factor for me. It does have a nice cool factor though. My rational was that it is the same platform as my other rifles, only cheaper to shoot. I also like the fact that there are plenty of accessories for AR-15 type rifles. I can outfit it just like the .223 guns that I use in matches.

From the bench, with inexpensive ammo, with iron sights, my Oly 9mm will easily hold an IPSC B zone - practically within the head A zone. Runs flawlessly. Love that gun.

Go with the 9mm AR. I started with a marlin camp carbine 9mm and will never regret switching to the AR platform.

the AR is easyier to clean and you can get reliable 40 & 32 rd UZI mags for $30.

if you already have a .223 AR then just get the conversion from rock river.

Here's some actual chrono velocitys with the same 124 gr 9mm ammo.

1095 FPS avg. / 5" pistol

1214 FPS avg. / 16" AR

Thats 119 FPS gain in 11" of barrel length !

The most recent test groups at 50 yds have been 3 shot clover leafs.

• 1 month later...

The one I had would do about 2.5 inches at 75 yards using Cor-Bon 115 gr. ammo.

In my Glock 17 this ammo does 1340+ and out of the AR it did 1680 depending on the lot number.At this velocity the stuff was explosive on armadillos!!

9mm ARs are great fun and easy to set up just like a match .223 for cheaqper practice. I have had very good experience with accuracy at 50 yds, One downside - if shooting prone, many will jam if you rest the carbine on the mag. You can't jam the mag in the dirt like you can with a .223.

I have an OLY arms 9mm that is about 5ys old. It uses Sten mags ($5.00/ea) rather than Colt/Uzi mags. I have shot several groups of less than 2" @ 100yds with it using 115gr Win. hollowpoints and VV N350 powder. It makes minor rifle easily and I have no problem making 100yd Azone hits. Lately, I've been practicing close in shots (50yds or less) with 140gr cast bullets and WST powder. Accracy, again, is Azone. It is cheap to shoot, reliable, and it's all you need to compete at ranges where the longest shot is 100 yds or less. Oh, and did I say, it's a freaking blast to shoot!!!

Dave

I think you can definitely get at least 5 MOA at 100 yds out of a 16 inch barrel AR with cheap Walmart optics. I had a Colt AR and was doing such back in the 90's. Moreover, I am not a very good shooter, you should be able to do much better.