Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

646 Owners

ANGRYREB

Time to pick your brains,

1) Everyone talks about the discomfort of shooting these revolvers at Major PF. What makes for the discomfort- the Ti cylinders, 4 inch barrel or just the smaller L-frame? Other opinions?

2) How does the 646 reload compared to a 610?

Looking forward to all answers. Thank you for your time.

Angryreb

1) Everyone talks about the discomfort of shooting these revolvers at Major PF. What makes for the discomfort- the Ti cylinders, 4 inch barrel or just the smaller L-frame? Other opinions?

646 weight 975 grams, a 4" 625 1125 grams, that is 15% more; its barrel is actually 3 and 7/8. Recoil is sharper!

The smaller frame ( barrel is lower) helps in muzzle jump.

2) How does the 646 reload compared to a 610?

Better! Holes are closer!

Better than a 625? No.

I currently own 2 of the 900 made in 2003; I use it in IPSC revo division loaded Major PF (204RN bullets) since 2004; I like L frame over the N ones.

Still I believe a 5" 646 would be PERFECT!

I have a couple of these in the plain jane 900 run configuration.

I have one set to race, I have miculeck grips on it as well as all my other "shooters" Its' recoil is sharp and after about 20-30 rounds in a row (long field course) I'm ready to not be shooting it. I feel that is because of the light weight vs the N frame guns. Physics say that and I'll agree. BUt man I really like the little gun.................I'd rather have a 6 inch than a 5 if it was me.

compared to a 610 on reloads?

It's like comparing a 625 to a 610 if you ask me.......I think it(646) actually reloads better for me (compared to a 625), but I have small fingers and can handle the L frame better than the N.

Hopalong

Thanks to everyone who has responded!!

The reason behind the the questions is I am looking to convert a 6 inch 686 to .40 SW. Got someone who can take stock barrel and bore & rifle it to .40 cal.

Same thing with the cylinder. Just wanting to make sure I am not beating my head against the wall.

Hop, that was the answers I was hoping to hear. Thanks!! B)

Snertly, I know my CDL states none! :roflol:

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

Angryreb

Sounds like fun to me!Please let us know how it works out for you.I might be interested in having your guy rebuild a wreck of a 586 the same way.My concern would be as to why Spit & Missin' chose to use Ti for the 646 cylinder.Was it for weight or strength due to the thinner walls?My guess is weight,due to the fact they make the 7 banger .357s.Anyways good luck with it,i hope it turns out.-Mike

Sounds like fun to me!Please let us know how it works out for you.I might be interested in having your guy rebuild a wreck of a 586 the same way.My concern would be as to why Spit & Missin' chose to use Ti for the 646 cylinder.Was it for weight or strength due to the thinner walls?My guess is weight,due to the fact they make the 7 banger .357s.Anyways good luck with it,i hope it turns out.-Mike

I don't know. I don't have my 646 in front of me, and I don't feel like opening up my safe again tonight, but I was thinking the walls were really thin between the cylinder stop notches and the chambers. Gotta remember, full-house .40 S&W loads run at relatively high pressures, I have to think the reason they would put the more more expensive Ti cylinder in a steel frame gun is because it's needed for strength. The L-frame cylinder was never intended to house six rounds of .40 ammo. I don't think I would advise converting a 686 to .40 caliber for safety reasons--how would you ever proof it?

Also, I can't imagine it would be cost-effective with all the machine involved. If the goal is to have a longer-barreled 646, wouldn't it be less expensive to to locate a 646 (I realize they're not cheap anymore) and make a custom barrel from a Shilen or Douglas blank??

I have a PC-646. It is a very well built revolver with a nice action. I have only shot full power loads in mine. Once, I ignorantly installed Miculek grips on it then went to shoot. After about 250 rounds down range, I noticed rust on the backstrap. Well it wasn't rust. The web of my hand had busted and was bleeding all over the thing.

I believe it would be a great competition revolver using lower PF rounds but I must state that I've never shot my PC-646 in any competition. I still own it, shoot it and won't be selling it.

I only shoot my S&W 646 at minor power factor. After a long match my wrist still feels it. I really enjoy shooting the gun and it handles like a dream but I would not use it with factory loads except in a personnal defense situation.

• 1 month later...
Does any one know if you can ream the chambers to accept longer .40 loads. I've got an original 646. i don't shoot it much as i have to change my loading setup.

I owned one when they first came out. Unfortunately I had to sell it around my divorce. :angry2:

Anyway, I remember someone on Glocktalk had one reamed out to accept 10mm. The biggest problem was finding a gunsmith willing to work with the TI. Some talk of galling if not done right.

I used it as a daily carry piece and loved it.

I was just thinking of reaming the throat so could load longer ammo in it. The way it is now, it just won't take anything around 1.125 or longer.

I might just sell it. Its got an action job, miculek grips and about 40 tk moonclips.

I had one of the original PC 646s for a while. I was the third owner....the first 2 couldn't stand the recoil shock of factory 180 gr. TCs. Carmoney and I learned to load them minor and had fun in IDPA until Billy changed the rules. Now I don't shoot IDPA anymore.....brilliant on Wilson's part. :rolleyes:

I finally sold mine last year to a guy who wanted it for his collection.....made a major profit on it :P ; thanks Billy. There is a PC version listed on GunsAmerica now.

Bob.

A16841