Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What about this sear/hammer jig?

kgunz11

I have the Brownells / Marvel Jig, the Marvel single roller sear jig and a Power Mk1 ...... I generally use the Brownell/Marvel jig for hammer prep work and sear work on factory parts... the Marvel sear jig for polishing the engagement surface of the sear on aftermarket sears ... and sometimes for adjusting the sear engagement angle....but use the Power for getting engagement angles where the pin holes are off a bit and the sear has to be cut unevenly.

I like the look of the new Marvel two roller jig.... but heck... how many jigs is too many ?

The Brownell/Marvel jig has copped a fair bit of bad feedback.... but it still works OK in my book so long as the pinholes in the gun are parallel.

i learned the old fashion way many years ago when my gunsmith got tired of me asking for a better trigger. used the old ed brown jig for the sear, and did the hammer hooks without one. a few years ago i got a power custom and it is the sh%$hole!

Anyone have any experience with this jig? Recommendations?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...%20HAMMER%20JIG

I dont like this jig. Due to the following reasons:

When you tight the sear you risk to broken it if you overtight the screw.... but if you dont tight the screw hard when you work on the sear with the stone it will move and lose the right angle. More when you mate the hammer and the sear you cant obtain the same distance of the frame hole... its fix not adjustable.

Similar trouble you'll get when you'll work on the hammer because the stone run on a fix part of the jig...

IMO i prefere the simple Marvel sear jig to work the sear (simple to use and fast) but also this is a very good jig Power Stone

Is there a good book available that illustrates how to correctly cut the components?

The one I have is Hallock's .45 Book. It's probably out of print now. The thing is, it's mostly by trial and error and feel. It took a long time to get the feel. A trigger job can take 20 minutes.....or 3 hours.

Is there a good book available that illustrates how to correctly cut the components?

I've used the brownells/marvel jig with good results.

I have the Kuhnhausen 1911 manuals I & II and the AGI 1911 gunsmithing videos.

All of my guns have pretty nice triggers in them now, several thanks to Extreme Engineering drop in kits. I have a Kimber that I could work on a little, and an Eagle that it wouldn't hurt to touch up some.

• 1 month later...

Yup, I tried it before. Don't like it. Difficult to use and there are no rollers for the stone to glide on. The hammer fixture is not that useful.

The Marvel Custom ($50) so far works for me.

Jerry Kuhnhasen's book is a good reference to start with.

Yup, I tried it before. Don't like it. Difficult to use and there are no rollers for the stone to glide on. The hammer fixture is not that useful.

The Marvel Custom ($50) so far works for me.

Jerry Kuhnhasen's book is a good reference to start with.

I got this entire kit from Brownell's and I really like it:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...p;%20SEAR%20KIT

(looks like the marvel kit with a bunch of other goodies)