Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

48 hours on my back - AARRRGGGHHH!

Fullauto_Shooter

Had another epidural spinal steriod injection yesterday (2 x ruptured discs) and now have to stay flat on my back for 48 hours. Since I'm normally very active, lying on my back is like torture. Made the mistake of spending too much time standing or sitting upright and have developed a bad headache (just like the doc said I would).

Good news is that I'll be back on my feet tomorrow afternoon :cheers:

Guess I'll continue to surf the net today and maybe watch a movie or two. Any other suggestions on how to kill another 36 hours flat on your back??

Doug

I could suggest something, but that would probably hurt, too... :lol:

Damn, that sucks, Doug :( Spending one day w/ my eyes closed was sucky - two on my back would drive me nuts, too...

Is there hope that the discs will heal, or are you eventually headed to surgery?

Thanks for the well-wishes guys.

According to my Doc, the discs will never really "heal", but the hope is that with these shots and physical therapy - the pain will be minimized.

Asked him what caused this and he said "23 years in the Army" - apparently this a very common injury among us "old Soldiers" - LOL.

Too many years of daily 5 mile runs, coupled with years of humping heavy loads. My Doc said half of us "Old Army Guys" will experience one or more ruptured discs. For me, I'm pretty lucky - that pain comes and goes and I'm blessed with a lot of good days. Hopefully, this treatment will give me even more good days. Funny, never thought this would happen to me.

Thanks for the well-wishes guys.

According to my Doc, the discs will never really "heal", but the hope is that with these shots and physical therapy - the pain will be minimized.

Asked him what caused this and he said "23 years in the Army" - apparently this a very common injury among us "old Soldiers" - LOL.

Too many years of daily 5 mile runs, coupled with years of humping heavy loads. My Doc said half of us "Old Army Guys" will experience one or more ruptured discs. For me, I'm pretty lucky - that pain comes and goes and I'm blessed with a lot of good days. Hopefully, this treatment will give me even more good days. Funny, never thought this would happen to me.

Yep... mine said the same thing... I asked him what caused it (3 blown... 1 surgery later - at age 29), he said (and I quote verbatim)

"Well, lets see... high school football, 4 years of carrying a tuba in marching band and drum corps, 11 years in the Marines and Army jumping out of planes, 80 pound packs, 10 mile fun runs... take your pick."

My doc is an old Navy Doc. He spent 4 years in the fleet as a corpsman before going to medical school That's probably why I trust him so much.

On of his nurses told me that he only lets Marines call him Doc. Everyone else has to call him Doctor... :rolleyes:

Never get between a Marine and his Corpsman. :cheers:

Good luck on the recovery... bad backs are a bitch.

Frank

DUDE! He needs to document the above in his findings, NOW! Then file the findings at the VA. This is absolutely what Title 38 VA benefits are for.

Had another epidural spinal steriod injection yesterday (2 x ruptured discs) and now have to stay flat on my back for 48 hours. Since I'm normally very active, lying on my back is like torture. Made the mistake of spending too much time standing or sitting upright and have developed a bad headache (just like the doc said I would).

Guess I'll continue to surf the net today and maybe watch a movie or two. Any other suggestions on how to kill another 36 hours flat on your back??

Doug

Doug,

I feel for ya man. I had my injection Friday for the exact same thing (was diagnosed couple weeks ago with 2x ruptured disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1). Was down hard all weekend and it sucks. I passed the time watching tv, reading, and playing computer games. In my case, the injection really helped reduce the pain and seems worthwhile at this point.

Doug

Doug,

I feel for ya man. I had my injection Friday for the exact same thing (was diagnosed couple weeks ago with 2x ruptured disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1). Was down hard all weekend and it sucks. I passed the time watching tv, reading, and playing computer games. In my case, the injection really helped reduce the pain and seems worthwhile at this point.

Big Kahuna,

Yep - got the same discs screwed up as you. It's been less than 24 hours and I'm already feeling a difference. Might break out the DVD player for a marathon session of "Band of Brothers". Can't wait for this weekend - High Plains Shotgun match in OKC. Just hope I'm back in fighting form by then.

Thanks,

Doug

Man, that sucks. Laying on my back too long (e.g. just enough / too much sleep) is what makes my back hurt in the AM. Hang in there, Doug. I hope this treatment works some magic for you.

Sorry to hear that your ailing Doug. Do you think your going to be able to make your 3 gun match this weekend?

Paul,

I'll make the Shotgun match if I have to hobble all over OKC to do it. Seriously, think I'll be OK - back is feeling better already (aside from the normal stiffness associated with laying around).

Nice match at Cove this past week, by the way. :cheers:

Guess you're gonna stick with open a while this time? It seems to be working for you.

Sorry to hear that your ailing Doug. Do you think your going to be able to make your 3 gun match this weekend?

Paul,

I'll make the Shotgun match if I have to hobble all over OKC to do it. Seriously, think I'll be OK - back is feeling better already (aside from the normal stiffness associated with laying around).

Nice match at Cove this past week, by the way. :cheers:

Guess you're gonna stick with open a while this time? It seems to be working for you.

Thanks. Me and this new pistol seem to be getting along pretty well.

Now I remember you saying it was a shotgun match not a 3 gun. Best wishes with your back and the match. Let us know how it goes.

Then there is the LaRue Tactical match the weekend after the shotgun match.

My wife swears by chiropractic therapy. She has a degenerative disk and the docs wanted to fuse the vertebra and she said no. However, the chiro care is ongoing and she has a pay-one-price kind of thing going. So it ain't cheap but that and exercises are less invasive, and they are working. My guess is there is not an Army chiropractic doc but you never know.

Lee

I've had 2 sets of 3 Epidurals and I was never told to lay down. They did each one about a week apart. They really never helped me much. I was on some very strong pain meds. I just recently had Facet Nerve Blocks. They worked pretty well. GOOD LUCK!!!

I was having all kinds of problems with both my lower back and neck. Due to the repetitive heavy lifting I do at work.

But since I started seeing a Chiropractor two years ago, I have never had any problems since.

Depending on the Insurance you have, there are some Insurance companies and policies that will cover Chiropractor visits.

Edited by Heavy Barrel

Doug & Big Kahuna,

I was in the exact same boat as you guys, and I assure you I am sending prayers your way.

I scheduled an appointment to meet a surgeon after almost 1 year off and on, and 6 months SOLID back pain. Or, let me say excruciating back pain. I was completely debilitated, then by some stroke of luck, or the hand of the big guy in the sky. One day I woke up and was just slightly sore. The next day I was completely healed! I kept my appt. just to see if this happened, and he told me, "yes".

there is hope,

kyle.

Thanks again for all the thoughts of recovery and well-wishes. I'm up on my feet again - even went to the range for a bit this afternoon. Back is sitll a little sore, but not too bad. Going to shoot the High Plains Shotgun Match this weekend so guess that'll be the real test - along with the drive up there with AlamoShooter.

Looking forward to the match and won't let a little back problem slow me down too much (I hope).

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear of your disc herniations and pain, speedy recovery wishes from me to you...

As an aside, I have nearly 3 decades of experience treating patients with lumbar disc herniations and if it's any encouragement to you, many patients experience a reduction in the size of their disc herniations over time due to the body's tendency to resorb the herniated nucleus pulposus. By no means all of course, but I have a teaching file of my own patients with numerous before/after MRI scans that show partial and even full resolution of the herniation which has occurred over time. So there is hope, my friend.

ESI (epidural steroid injections) can be very helpful to some, in fact dramatically so...in others, for whatever reason they experience little to no relief. The reasons for this disparity in response are unclear and multifactorial, but hopefully you will be one of those that respond well.

I hope things work out well for you.

DISCLAIMER TO SATISFY THE TRIAL LAWYERS AMONG US: THIS IS NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, AND IN NO WAY SHOULD THIS INFORMATION BE CONSIDERED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ADVICE, TREATMENT AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF YOUR PHYSICIAN. CURBSIDE CONSULTS ARE NOT GOOD MEDICINE, AND SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. NEVER MAKE MEDICAL DECISIONS BASED UPON ADVICE GIVEN BY A PHYSICIAN THAT HAS NOT PERSONALLY EVALUATED YOU.