Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bushmaster ACR

L-10_shooter

I think Bushmaster screwed themselves. <a href="http://www.bushmaster.com/Press-release-11810.asp" target="_blank">MSRP for the basic ACR is $2,685 and $3,061 for the "enhanced" model</a>. The silly thing is, Magpul was pretty much telling everyone who would listen that the MSRP would be $1,400.

Yeah, there was numerous ACR's on display with the product sheets showing the prices above. No explanation on why the price has increased so dramatically. A darn shame, they would have sold without pause at the 1400-1600 price originally mentioned. Now, I imagine they wil sell, but who knows how many? You're really goig to have to want one at that price.

Availability timeframe is now predicted to be March.

Yeah, there was numerous ACR's on display with the product sheets showing the prices above. No explanation on why the price has increased so dramatically. A darn shame, they would have sold without pause at the 1400-1600 price originally mentioned. Now, I imagine they wil sell, but who knows how many? You're really goig to have to want one at that price.

When the ACR was in development, Magpul said several times that the use of polymers would keep the price down!

What does it (ACR) do, that a ar-15 cannot for less money?

Whatever that is, it isn't worth the extra $1500ish.

Maybe after the tactical-timmys who need it for the cool-factor are finished buying the initial run, and sales slow dramtically, prices will drop below $2000.

SCARs seem to be selling at a nice high price too. Is is better? A friend shot one at a 3 gun match last weekend. Let's just say I'm not going to trade in my AR anytime soon. Hey, if you have the extra cash and just want a new toy, why not. Not for me though

It has a lot of interesting and somewhat usefull features.

Gas piston system: Is arguably more reliable than the AR's gas impingment system. Though some argue it is not. I have a POF piston upper that is very reliable, but I have di guns that are, also. The big advantage of a piston is the ease of cleaning, and the reduced need thereof.

Quick change barrel system: Can be changed from 5.56/223 to 6.8 to 7.62x39 within seconds. This might have certain advantages for operators in the sandbox, but would be of limited value for a competitor. With several barrel lengths/weights you could, though, tailor the gun for your next match.

Other features like charging handle on left side, folding stock (no buffer tube/receiver extension), and just the modularity of the whole system is pretty appealing.

What Bushmaster did was take a design with great potential, made a number of changes (some good, but some like increasing the weight and going to the 1:9 twist are less than good in some circles), and doubled the price. Bushmaster has increased their prices across the board since they were acquired by Cerberus, and this might just be the last straw for a lot of people. I know for me, although some of my favorite guns are Bushies, there are no plans for any more of their products in my future. Nor will there be until they make some changes. :angry2:

Edited by jobob

MagPul's original $1500 MSRP was far too optimistic and realistically a bridge too far. The current ACR price is about right, given what you're buying. Though the fanboy wailing and gnashing of teeth elsewhere on the interweb is humorous.

All the gas piston AR's on the market now spread from $1400ish to $1900ish before you even consider the ability to quickly swap barrels without tools (which is an engineering feat if you think about it for a moment).

Most consumers haven't the slightest clue how low the profit margins are in the firearms industry, nor does the average consumer have any clue about how costly regulatory related overhead and product liability insurance really are. At the end of the day, the Feds collect a better profit off the excises tax on firearms than any other party involved.

Edited by Middle Man

I think the price is BS, sorry Middle Man. We had quick change barrels that didn't require tools 100 years or so ago, this isn't new. Also, as cool as it is, it is rather pointless, unless you plan to use it a SAW and have sustained rate of fire that melts barrels. Otherwise you are likely to have some tools around whenever you change barrels. Gas piston AKs cost $50 or so in sub saharan Africa, and also not new, its is just "new" to this segment of the market.

Having recently taken a closer look at Magpul gear, I've come to the conclusion that they know what they are doing and know how to keep prices down so you get some value when you purchase their stuff. When was is last that someone look at a Bushmaster anything and said "Thats a good deal!"? To me it seems like Bushmaster/Cerberus looked at this gun and thought they will be able to extort whatever price they want and people will pay it because of the 3 year build up and the brand. You know what, they are probably right, sadly.

Speaking of profits .. why do we have the distributor middle man (hehe) anymore?

Edited by Vlad

Speaking of profits .. why do we have the distributor middle man (hehe) anymore?

My point regarding the tempest in a teapot over the ACR's price is that all the interweb posters spouting their ill informed opinions don't generally know the whole story or even most of the facts related to designing, building, and delivering a product (any product) to market. Magpul's $1500 forecasted price in 2007 was obviously way off. Take a look as the MSAR AUG clones, for a contrasting example of pricing a product too high. The first MSAR guns sold ok, then the 2009 election happened and everyone sold out (great!)...now the market isn't willing to pay for that rifle. Even in the new E4 configuration, that accepts AR magazines, all the players in the distribution channel is choking on excess product. Para's gas piston AR is an overpriced sales bomb, even the first units to ship are selling poorly. Para missed the market. Ruger's AR hit it just about right, continuing to sell at a reasonable pace. The new HK416 commercial market rifles (due in the third quarter 2010) will be overall poor sales performers too, the first 500 to 1000 units due in the country then will sell briskly, yet the next 1000 units will languish on retail and wholesale shelves.

Ultimately, the middle man still takes the entire credit risk in any multiple step distribution model. If you're asking that question, why not ask "why do we have retailers anymore"?

Edited by Middle Man

Ultimately, the middle man still takes the entire credit risk in any multiple step distribution model. If you're asking that question, why not ask "why do we have retailers anymore"?

Actually in the gun business we are required by law to not bypass the retailer. And as far as I can tell the distributors are taking very little risk at this point. Try ordering something unusual, and where you might think the local dealer would contact multiple distributors to find it, what really happens is that he calls his one and only distributor who only seems to stock sure sales and orders the "special" item from the factory. We aren't talking about custom things here, but catalog items that don't sell in high volume. As far as I can tell there is no risk for the distributor stocking glocks and 9mm mags and ammo.

Other industries may be different (the beer distributor who may get stuck with a perishable product), but I'm not sure why we have see them in the gun industry.

As for the ACR, I didn't really want one before, and I don't want one know, so I'm certainly not upset about its price, I'm more puzzled and annoyed at the process then anything else. I don't buy that the gun is worth that price, but even if it has some awesome features that explained the cost, it is still a silly combination of options at a silly price.

Edited by Vlad

A lot of these guns-the AUG, the P90, the ACR are great in their full-auto, short barrel versions, with silencers. They look stupid and are not really useful in the civilian version with longer barrels. Well, not useful in the way that a plain AR-15 can be. Especially for competition. I don't think we are the market for them.