Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accepting Charlie and Deltas

boz1911

While at dinner after shooting last Tuesday night I was talking to GrandMaster 00Bullit about some movement techniques when Todd made a comment that really hit home. He said my speed was fine, it's my points that are holding my scores back. Since I've heard this before, I really have been thinking about this a lot.

When I'm running a course, I do call my shots, the problem is I see and I know I'm accepting C and the occasional D hits. I will say it's usually the second shot that's the problem. Possible solutions I've come with: grip issue, recoil spring issue, or possibly just a brain problem.

Any thoughts or possibly someone has been through this phase and can shed some insight.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While at dinner after shooting last Tuesday night I was talking to GrandMaster 00Bullit about some movement techniques when Todd made a comment that really hit home. He said my speed was fine, it's my points that are holding my scores back. Since I've heard this before, I really have been thinking about this a lot.

When I'm running a course, I do call my shots, the problem is I see and I know I'm accepting C and the occasional D hits. I will say it's usually the second shot that's the problem. Possible solutions I've come with: grip issue, recoil spring issue, or possibly just a brain problem.

Any thoughts or possibly someone has been through this phase and can shed some insight.

Don't know ya so this is just my guess.

I'm guessing it's discipline - or mental fortitude - or visual patience - whatever you want to call it.

I suspect you're basically allowing yourself to accept something that is not acceptable.

I get C's, C's happen. I hate them, but I get them. But a D is, IMO, a lucky miss. I've always looked at it that way. I've been thankful for a D or two, but only thankful I was lucky enough to avoid the penalty I knew I deserved. D's are misses, you simply know where the bullet went.

How to fix it can come about several ways. Maybe one way would be to commit that for three practice sessions in a row you won't shoot anything but A's. If you shoot even one C in a practice session then you start over. And see if you can get to that fourth practice session with the streak going. That's hard to do though, at least for me. I'd try a head shot, miss the A zone by 1/8th of an inch and be like "that counts" - when in a match it doesn't.

So there are other methods. Maybe you jump into production for a bit. That places huge emphasis on making every shot count and you get penalized big time for points dropped. Same with IDPA. I don't shoot much IDPA anymore but I do distinctly remember that points down penalized in a big way.

At the end of the day if you're shooting C's and D's, you know it, and you're accepting it then I think you know the answer to your question. Accpetance is the challenge, and I suspect only you can fix that.

Just my $.02.

Jack

Edited by j1b

At the end of the day if you're shoot C's and D's, you know it, and you're accepting it then I think you know the answer to your question. Accpetance is the challenge, and I suspect only you can fix that.

Just my $.02.

Jack

This really is the "work" part of training for a lot of people. The "going fast" part is fun, we can practice that everyday. But being disciplined enough to control our shots is less fun, but equally as important.

Sounds like we need to start bringing the video camera back to the range. Video does not lie and when you see yourself shooting at one target while looking at the next target things start to make sense.

Usually after every match I calculate the percentage of match points I shot. I am not the fastest shooter on the block, but usually I am getting 85-90% of the points.

Movement and stage doping are my biggest problems.

Sounds like we need to start bringing the video camera back to the range. Video does not lie and when you see yourself shooting at one target while looking at the next target things start to make sense.

Any more splaining to that statement?? Me?? You??

Edited by boz1911

So there are other methods. Maybe you jump into production for a bit. That places huge emphasis on making every shot count and you get penalized big time for points dropped.

That's a great idea. To take that another step, I think Single Stack might be the ultimate test because it's essentially Virginia count (although you can still shoot Major). If you've got 9 in the gun for an 8-round array, slowing down that tiny bit is easy when you're doing it to avoid a slide lock reload and not leaving yourself anything for a makeup from that point forward. R,

I have an older sony that works fine, and I will be happy to bring it out. SingleStack has a smaller, nicer, newer one that is very handy. I can bring mine or get him to bring his. Video is a great training tool.

Are you working this Saturday? What about Sunday are you thinking about going to EAGC? I'll film you if you film me, deal?

So there are other methods. Maybe you jump into production for a bit. That places huge emphasis on making every shot count and you get penalized big time for points dropped.

That's a great idea. To take that another step, I think Single Stack might be the ultimate test because it's essentially Virginia count (although you can still shoot Major). If you've got 9 in the gun for an 8-round array, slowing down that tiny bit is easy when you're doing it to avoid a slide lock reload and not leaving yourself anything for a makeup from that point forward. R,

I agree. I believe shooting production has helped me in many ways. I pulled out my limited gun the other night for some dry fire and mag change practice. The Ice magwell was like a black hole. It was so big, it felt like the magazine were being sucked into it.

Forget the C's and D's...lets be done talking about them.

Now...DECIDE...to shoot Alphas. In fact, DECIDE to define your target SPOT as a small area within the A-zone.

Aim small, HIT small.

It's been a while, but I like to run the Alpha-bet with a buddy. What is the Alpha-bet you ask??? The Alpha bet is between you and a buddy to see who shoots the most Alphas in the match. The winner gets dinner, beer...whatever.

I used to run my Alpha-bet against Steve Anderson and his Open gun. Steve knows a thing or two about shooting Alphas! I'd be shooting my Glock. Equipment doesn't matter. As long as you know how to shoot an Alpha, all you have to do is repeat the process for each shot.

I can tell you that shooting Production and Limited minor have helped me focus on "A's". I aim for all "A's" and accept that a few "C's" will happen. My definition of a "clean" match is no misses, procedurals or "D's". If the second shot is a "C" or a "D", I would consider focusing more on the sight picture than the split time.

I am one of those guys that has .30 second splits but makes up for it with points. My mantra is "shoot as fast as you can shoot "A's"

I have an older sony that works fine, and I will be happy to bring it out. SingleStack has a smaller, nicer, newer one that is very handy. I can bring mine or get him to bring his. Video is a great training tool.

Are you working this Saturday? What about Sunday are you thinking about going to EAGC? I'll film you if you film me, deal?

I plan to shoot EAGC Sunday. Video is always good, I learned a lot from the Ga state match video. The problem I see is "if" I'm already starting to look for the next target while I'm simultaneously finishing the shot we are only talking milliseconds and video may not show that.

I "see" the dot on the C/D zone when I shoot, it's just that I accept it in my mind.

I hope to make it to EAGC too. If I do, do you want to try video or how about Flex's 'Alpha-Bet', or both? Sounds fun and I look forward to seeing you shoot some alphas this weekend.

Don't laugh, but in reviewing my performances last season, i came to the conclusion that I wasn't getting enough C's in my short range stages. Far too often, I was getting perfect A's in the close targets. It suggested to me that I was being too cautious and need to risk a bit more to gain speed.

I bet it would only cost you a small amount of time to slow down and make sure you get the second alpha. Within a few months you will probably be back to your original time, but with the sight picture to get 2 A's.

I hope to make it to EAGC too. If I do, do you want to try video or how about Flex's 'Alpha-Bet', or both? Sounds fun and I look forward to seeing you shoot some alphas this weekend.

I've already lost that bet once this week, but I'm game.........it's on!!

Revamping technique could be a good tool. Not necessarily because your technique is bad, but it will force you to pay attention and execute the fundamentals.

Very well said, I was working on that this morning when I was dryfiring. I'm afraid accepting non-alpha hits during dryfire is continuing on during matches.........seem to remember something about perfect practice

I've noticed that when I transition to a target... I look at the whole target. As soon as the sights are on my visual focus point (the whole target) I break the shot. This is OK for me as the scoring system of the games I play doesn't really reward A hits.

If I practice for USPSA comstock I will make it a point to use the A zone as my focus/transition point.

I am finding that, while dry fire is very good, airsoft can be even better.

I, too, can get sloppy, especially if there isn't a bullet hitting the target to keep me honest, but the airsoft forces me to acknowlege where the shot broke. It actually helps that it doesn't group that tightly - I really have to center up the sight picture.

At the local match at C-ville, we tend to run target setups that make the shooter work for the A-zone. High...low...near...far...up-side-down... We mix it up.

An up-side-down target will generally mess with a shooter. They will miss the A-zone (because the A-zone in not in the center of mass, it favors the head side of the target).

Bob Vogel shot our local match (usually a tough one for him to get to, but he was gearing up for the IDPA Winter Nats). We had a stage that had a number of up-side-down targets and other general goofiness that would make the shooter work. I was curious to see if he would pick up on it. He said a little something about them before he shot (and Bob doesn't talk too awful much). After he was done...and he really maxed out the points...I asked him about it. He said that he really tuned into picking his spot to shoot. He recognized that, if he wanted those Alphas, he had to decide to get them...and that is what he did.

This is what I have done. I am shooting SS until I can get to where I want to be before I pick up a Lim or open gun.

I had a really nice Edge sold it to a forum member here because I could not get over the spray and pray pattern I was in.

So now for one year I am shooting SS and it is starting to pay off. I just got my highest classifier score since 2006 when I started. A 74.0185. I have been dry firing using the Steve Anderson's book and drills. I have not been live firing any more than I had before - 200 - 250 rounds a week. But I am spending 1 - 1-1/2 dry firing. My percentages have steadily gone up from the 50% to upper 50% when I bomb one and I still do I will determine what caused the mental break and correct it before the next match. It has been frustrating but it has been very rewarding at the same time.

My .02

Don't laugh, but in reviewing my performances last season, i came to the conclusion that I wasn't getting enough C's in my short range stages. Far too often, I was getting perfect A's in the close targets. It suggested to me that I was being too cautious and need to risk a bit more to gain speed.

This fits in with how I grade my performance in a match. I've recently started losing a little weight. (That darn video camera was lying! That really wasn't me.) So far down 32 pounds since mid-January and I find I can move a little faster that I used to.

To make it all relative, I watch each stage closely to see I've garnered at least 85% of the points. Much more than 85% and I've not pushed myself on the speed. Much less than that and I need to slow down. No matter where I place, as long as I feel I've moved as fast as possible and I'm around 85% on all stages, I feel I've done well. In time, I hope the speed will improve and the % of points will increase.

Others may have less tolerance and need at least 95% of points and some speed demons out there may be fast enough to make due with 75%.

Bill

Half this stuff is 90% mental. :ph34r:

Huh? I always heard that 90% of this stuff was mental. The rest was just in your head.

Shoot A's.

It is that simple. We don't think it's that simple. We don't want it to be that simple. But it is. Shoot A's.

Did some livefire practice this afternoon. I set up two targets at 7 yards then drew and put two shots on each as fast as I could. It only took a few runs to realize I indeed have been losing focus on the second shot. By adding focus I started to put snake eyes on the targets at very high speed. This seems to concur with what Jake said about getting back to fundamentals. This will be part of my practice from now on.