Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mag troubles

Darianis

I just got my gun back from the smith and I am having trouble with my mags. If I put more that 10-12 rounds then the shells nose dive into the feed ramp and won't feed. I have tried replacing the springs with some spares that I have laying around, but no joy :angry2:

It looks to me like the springs are not putting enough pressure on the shells to get hold them in the correct position. But replacing the springs didn't fix the problem.

I have Para P18 mags with dawson pads and ismi 140mm mag springs.

Any ideas?

What did the Smith do for you? I had a barrel replaced and the ramp was not cut properly. I had no end of trouble til I recut the ramp. Went through different heads, lengths, springs, the whole works. Recut the ramp and problems essentially cleared up

Jim

What followers? Did the mags go to the smith with the gun or stay home? If they went the smith may have "tuned" them for you. :(

Actually He built the top end and fitted it to my frame. the barrel is a Clark barrel and the ramp looks good. the mags are untouched. I have tried the para followers and also some of the grams followers I have both have exactly the same problem. the mags won't feed if more than 10-12 rounds are loaded.

What caliber? What bullet? Did he replace the whole top end or just the barrel? Accurailed? If you're changing from say .38 Super to 9mm you're going to have to tune the mags, maybe load longer depending on what bullet you're using. You may have to add spacers to the back of the mag.

Edited by gino_aki

So do/did these mags work in a normal Para P18 or are these new, untuned mags? Is the feed ramp polished or still rough? Yeah, I've seen ramps that still had mill marks on them work but those shined to a mirror finish work SO much better.

Did you add +1 or larger base pads to these mags and not put in the longer springs?

Are you sure the mag catch is holding the mags in the right place to start with? If it is worn or someone has played games with it the whole mag could be sitting too low.

Maybe give us some history on the frame, mags, etc.

Para mags, and 9mm will not work very well, get some SVI tubes, in my open Para I was able to run SV tubes with no modifications to the tubes or pistol.

What caliber? ... If you're changing from say .38 Super to 9mm you're going to have to tune the mags, maybe load longer depending on what bullet you're using. You may have to add spacers to the back of the mag.

Ok gun in 9MM and the whole topend was built and fitted. no accurails. The mags are new untuned mags with dawson basepads. I have tried the springs that came in the mags and a set of ismi 140mm springs. The mags seem to be sitting in the right place as the feed just fine with less than 12 rounds. I'm using 125 Zero JHP loaded to 1.140.

Ok gun in 9MM and the whole topend was built and fitted. no accurails. The mags are new untuned mags with dawson basepads. I have tried the springs that came in the mags and a set of ismi 140mm springs. The mags seem to be sitting in the right place as the feed just fine with less than 12 rounds. I'm using 125 Zero JHP loaded to 1.140.

The problem may be too much spring pressure...also the 9mm is a tapered case so as you load more rounds the whole "stack" of rounds tends to want to compress at the bullet end, this is why hi cap rifle mags are curved. The Para mag has a lot of internal volume due to the sharp bevel at the top (where the mag tapers to the single round width) which compounds the problem. I'm not sure if Para has adjusted the feed lips to compensate for 9mm, they originally marketed P-18's in 38 Super only. I know that Para also marketed their original 40 caliber mags as 10mm mags which points to them knowing that their mags would work better with near .45ACP length cartridges.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll have to try a bunch of different things to see what works. First thing would be to disassemble/reassemble the gun without the recoil spring, and a SHORTENED firing pin (one that has at least a half inch cut off the front end, basically to hold the firing pin stop in place). This is because you're going to hand cycle the gun to find out where the round is releasing from the magazine both at <10-12 rounds and >10-12 rounds. Even if you do this with dummy rounds identical to your live stuff, I'd use the short firing pin. This will tell you if the feed lips need to be adjusted. You may find you need spacers at the back of the mag to hold the rounds forward...after loading 12 plus rounds in the mags try rapping front end of the mag on a counter top or other hard surface to seat the cartridges at the front of the mag rather than the rear...then hand-cycle again to see if that improves feeding. Of course the standard practice of checking for burrs or sharp edges along the feed lips of the mags and polishing them out applies, especially since they're new mags. Try turning the spring around front to back and end for end if it will still fit the follower and hand cycle again.

If this is starting to sound like tedious work...see if the 'smith who installed the top end will tune your mags and gun for you.

If the barrel is throated enough you might also try loading them to a longer oal. To see if this helps you. In my caspian 9mm open gun I run the oal at just a hair less than 1.20. I use the montana gold 124 jhp (which is a fairly long bullet). Mine works much better when long loaded.

Oh and if the feed ramp isn't polished you might look at that as well. Just make sure that when you do it, you are polishing it in the direction the round feed.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Edited by caspian guy

Are you using the current production factory mags with the dull chrome finish?

Those are the only Para mags I have had function. Actually they have been flawless.

I use those in my p-18 9mm and they feed any length from factory to 1.15 oal.

The mag will fit a longer OAL but my chamber is just 1.165.

Those blued mags just dont work.

Edited by Alwaystryin

Para mags, and 9mm will not work very well, get some SVI tubes, in my open Para I was able to run SV tubes with no modifications to the tubes or pistol.
What caliber? ... If you're changing from say .38 Super to 9mm you're going to have to tune the mags, maybe load longer depending on what bullet you're using. You may have to add spacers to the back of the mag.

When I had my Para I used STI mags in .40. If I had a 9mm Para I would run SVI tubes. Like others have said it looks like your ammo is stacking and nosing forward. I'm not sure but if Para mags don't have spacers I don't see how its going to work very well.