Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softest Shooting Powder for 147 Minor Loads

JeffWard

I finally had to get away from using these light loads with the bullets I use-147 LFP. I was experiencing intermittent tumbling. One experienced reloader thought that it might be the powder charge wasn't propelling the bullets fast enough. I recently changed powders ( from N320 to 3N37/N340) and upped the charges to midrange-no more tumbling.

Hmmm, lets see what have I tried with 147gr rounds.

Titegroup

Solo 1000

Ramshot Comp

Universal Clays

IMR 7625

WST

N320

Well, that's the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Titegroup is the softest.

BTW, Solo 1000 is horrible, and I do not recommend it at all. So, all you stop buying it up, damn it. I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it's hiding with the zero bullets and primers <_< .

Have you tested the Solo under JHPs?

I saw the chrono data. What changes would you make shooting jacketed stuff?

Haven't tried a JHP.

I shoot 147 Precision Delta FMJs a LOT, because I shoot a lot of indoor, though. Glock 34:

3.2 = 128PF with a blackbullet

3.45 = 128PF with a 147 FMJ

Bothing using same rangefloor brass, loaded to 1.130", and a Wolf primer.

Titegroup

Solo 1000

Ramshot Comp

Universal Clays

IMR 7625

WST

N320

Titegroup is the softest.

You really think so? IMO, Solo wins that battle... Or were you trying to talk these clowns out of buying it all up with this line, too? ;)

Have you tested the Solo under JHPs?

I saw the chrono data. What changes would you make shooting jacketed stuff?

Haven't tried a JHP.

I shoot 147 Precision Delta FMJs a LOT, because I shoot a lot of indoor, though. Glock 34:

3.2 = 128PF with a blackbullet

3.45 = 128PF with a 147 FMJ

Bothing using same rangefloor brass, loaded to 1.130", and a Wolf primer.

Titegroup

Solo 1000

Ramshot Comp

Universal Clays

IMR 7625

WST

N320

Titegroup is the softest.

You really think so? IMO, Solo wins that battle... Or were you trying to talk these clowns out of buying it all up with this line, too? ;)

No, not trying to misdirect in this one B) . Solo is really soft, but I had TG with 147gr Zeros shooting so fricken soft at 130pf I had to clip three coils off the 13 lb recoil spring to get the gun to cycle. They are both very soft, but TG gets the #1 slot from me for softness with a jacketed bullet.

That being said, Solo 1000 is a better overall powder IMO because it will work with both jacketed and lead and moly, and is still really soft shooting in any 9mm bullet weight.

TG gets the nod for consistancy of loading because it throws so much better and easier. For a beginner reloader, TG is easier to meter and get consistant loads. solo, you really have to work it to get to throw a consistant charge.

Can't really go wrong with either.

Personally I load a very soft/smooth 9mm minor for my STI Edge.

my load : VV340 5 grain , 123gr FMJ bullets (Fiocchi atm), Federal Primers and I load long (1.1811"/3cm). Makes factor.

I met a German shooter not to long ago who has got a load that was almost as soft as mine with 147gr bullets.

His load : Hogdon HP38 : 3.6 grain , 147gr FMJ Speer bullets , Rifle primers (don't ask) and he loads them up to ( 1.133856" / 2.88 cm )

Hope this helps

Anything that is pushing it pressure wise...is it really worth it?

We are talking about mousefart loads in the first place. Is there a real need to chase the softest mousefart?

(as I knock on wood, since I switched bullets this morning and didn't adjust my OAL out as far as I like)

I've been real happy with 3.8 grs of N340 under a 147 gr Zero FMJ at 1.130 OAL. In my CZ SP-01 Custom and CZ75B SA it gives a 130 PF and seems just as soft as N320. N340 is usually easier to get too.

Edited by tohlmann