Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon CLAYS for IPSC PF

philproulx

4.7 gr clays, 180 FMJ, 1.209 OAL in a 6" schueman ultimatch barrel

Are you getting any pressure signs with your load? I'm loading 4.4 grains of Clays with a Hornady 180 gr. JHP to 1.185 OAL out of a 6" Storm Lake barrel in my Edge. I am getting some slight cratering of the Winchester primers. I am averaging 945 fps which gives me a 170 PF average.

Chris

Are you getting any pressure signs with your load? I'm loading 4.4 grains of Clays with a Hornady 180 gr. JHP to 1.185 OAL out of a 6" Storm Lake barrel in my Edge. I am getting some slight cratering of the Winchester primers. I am averaging 945 fps which gives me a 170 PF average.

Chris

Load longer. With clays 1.20 or longer.( 40 S&W )

Chris

No signs that I can see, and I'm just barely making major.

Case – Standard Mixed .40 Brass Gizmo Resized to .415

Bullet – Montana Gold 180gr FMJ

Primer – Winchester Small Pistol

Powder – Hogdon Clays

Powder Drop – 4.8gr (Start with 4.5gr and work up from there to be safe)

OAL – 1.225

Average Velocity – 950fps

Average Power Factor – 171 PF

Fired Through - EAA Witness Limited .40

Case – Standard Mixed .40 Brass Gizmo Resized to .415

Bullet – Montana Gold 180gr FMJ

Primer – Winchester Small Pistol

Powder – Hogdon Clays

Powder Drop – 4.8gr (Start with 4.5gr and work up from there to be safe)

OAL – 1.225

Average Velocity – 950fps

Average Power Factor – 171 PF

Fired Through - EAA Witness Limited .40

What kind of group did it shoot?

Darrell> You mean accuracy? Or sample size chronoed? From an accuracy standpoint I have not done much testing. I know I can get a 5 round group within two inches at 15 Yards shooting free style and not trying too hard at it. I have not shot them off a sand bag or anything like that. They are plenty accurate for USPSA shooting.

As for a chrono stand point I always use a 20 round test set when validating the fps on a load. When I tally the average velocity I will toss out the single highest and lowest fps round and average the rest. This to me is the best way to get a good understanding of how a specific load setup is going to perform.

I meant accuracy thanks. My 9mm Limited shoots 3/4" groups all day, my .40 shoots 1" with 180 zero's and 5.0 of N320 at 1.200 oal. I'm looking to reduce my powder inventory bought eight pounds of clays but didn't get the accuracy I wanted in none of the guns I tried. Will stick with Power Pistol for 9mm, Wst for my .45, and T. G. for my .40's. I thought I could get a good accuracy minor load with clays, but Tightgroup did better.

Several of us have had KBs with this powder in the 40S&W. I for one had one in a Browning High Power as did a friend of mine. My load came from the Lyman #47 and was .5gr above Hodgdon's suggested maximum load.

These loads posted above must not be being shot in firearms with unsupported barrels. If your firearm has that unique characteristic you may want to "rethink" using the loads posted here. Make sure you work up your loads in your own firearms.

Several of us have had KBs with this powder in the 40S&W. I for one had one in a Browning High Power as did a friend of mine. My load came from the Lyman #47 and was .5gr above Hodgdon's suggested maximum load.

These loads posted above must not be being shot in firearms with unsupported barrels. If your firearm has that unique characteristic you may want to "rethink" using the loads posted here. Make sure you work up your loads in your own firearms.

If you were using the ammo in a HP, you probably weren't loading to an OAL of 1.2 or greater.

If you were using the ammo in a HP, you probably weren't loading to an OAL of 1.2 or greater.

True enough BUT I was loading to the recipe that was in the manual. Here is a picture of what I used. The bullet was near the exact same. My OAL was as listed in this recipe. Now, it may have worked with the longer OAL but I didn't see a need when the data said this would work. No doubt it would have in some firearms, just not one with an unsupported chamber.

Food for thought.

post-18401-1237212517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sackettwannabe

Wow, 4.0 grains at 1.1" OAL with a 175 gr bullet sounds bad even in a supported barrel.

FWIW, the STI's, SVI's and Tanfoglio's have supported barrels. I don't know what if anything currently made in 40 S&W that still has an unsupported barrel. Maybe Glock?

Chris

Hope this is not stating the obvious: If you load long (enough) so as to have the bullet seat tight against the lands (ie, not enough leade in the barrel) then the pressure can get extremely high awfully fast with possible detonation.

A-G

Wow, 4.0 grains at 1.1" OAL with a 175 gr bullet sounds bad even in a supported barrel.

FWIW, the STI's, SVI's and Tanfoglio's have supported barrels. I don't know what if anything currently made in 40 S&W that still has an unsupported barrel. Maybe Glock?

Chris

BHP's are still in production as are Glocks, both of which have unsupported barrels. For most folks, that is what they are going to be shooting any re-loads in. A lot of folks can only afford to have one handgun. One in the $450 range rather than one of the race guns @ $1800 to $3000.

Even the BHP is a bit pricey for some @ $800! (speaking from experience! ;) )

What's the max length you can load to in the Glock and Hipower? I don't know for sure but I don't think they will take 1.20" OAL even if someone were to put an aftermarket fully supported barrel in the gun.

These Clays loads aren't okay for shorter OAL. Even at 1.85" I was getting too much pressure. The length I'm at now with 1.205" is the shortest I would load these. And definitely only for a fully supported barrel.

That being said, anybody else have any major clays loads? :ph34r:

Chris

• 1 month later...

These are all through a 5" STI barrel, mixed brass, WSP primer. Note that all are loaded LONG, and all are ABOVE BOOK MAX.

180gr Montana Gold JHP, 1.220" OAL, 4.55gr clays, 945 fps/170pf.

185gr (187gr, actually) Precision molycoat, 1.223", 4.2 clays, 916/171.

180gr Black Bullet International molycoat, 1.220", 4.3 clays, 940/169.

185gr Colorado Cast lead, 1.220", 4.0 Clays, 925/171.

Soft, accurate - fantastic loads.

As others have said, Clays MUST be loaded long. I wouldn't go under 1.200", and run a fairly strong crimp.

Edited by Morgan