Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Reloading Bench

abysmal

You're planning to bolt that to the wall still, right?

I know you're pretty much certain it isn't necessary. So was I - mine was even heavier than yours. I waited a long time to bolt it to the wall.

Bolt it to the wall.

No, honestly I had not even considered it.

The table is probably close to 300 lbs.

And when I add 10,000rds of .308 to the lower shelf, I am guessing 700-800lbs.

Is there REALLY any reason to bolt it at that point?

Unless you're on a concrete slab, YES. If you're on a slab and the bench is perfectly flat on the floor, no wobble whatsoever, then you can forego bolting it to the wall.....

Unless you're on a concrete slab, YES. If you're on a slab and the bench is perfectly flat on the floor, no wobble whatsoever, then you can forego bolting it to the wall.....

It IS on the poured slab, and there IS a tiny wabble right now.

BUT.

The legs have no feet on them as yet.

And i plan on installing pads of some sort under the wood 4x4s both to level and to absorb impact.

I have to agree with the comments above. Once you find a great location for the bench, it needs to be bolted to the wall. Even only one bolt would be good. You'd be surprised how much force you'll be using when reloading, and having it secured to the wall will be a great benefit.

Ryan

I have to agree with the comments above. Once you find a great location for the bench, it needs to be bolted to the wall. Even only one bolt would be good. You'd be surprised how much force you'll be using when reloading, and having it secured to the wall will be a great benefit.

Ryan

I agree.

Nice work! :surprise:

It IS on the poured slab, and there IS a tiny wabble right now.

BUT.

The legs have no feet on them as yet.

And i plan on installing pads of some sort under the wood 4x4s both to level and to absorb impact.

McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1348/=y457q

I'm using style 8

nice bench! I too am working up plans to build a new one. I have a full solid core oak door blank that I want to use for the surface, but don't really know how to go about building the whole thing. I know what I want, i.e. drawers, a small shelf below, pegboard above as well as some shelving.

One question, why spend the money on oak ply when you were going to put melamine on it anyway? Wouldn't 3/4 A/C work just as well?

• 9 months later...

Just a followup.

I have now had the bench in use for some 15,000 rounds on my Dilon Super 1050.

This bench has been ROCK SOLID.

And I never did bolt it to anything.

It doesn't budge at all !!

And the ballast of 15,000 rounds of .308 on the lower shelf helped to settle it down all the more.

Could NOT be happier with this bench.

Should last me the rest of my life!!

• 4 months later...

Mebbe worth while explaining why bolting to the wall at the height of the bench top is good?

My understanding is that, no matter how much weight on top or under the bench top, anything on legs can rock or sway when pushed up or sideways, as might happen with a press. More variables, less consistency. Securing the bench against the wall it's up against eliminates that movement.

At least, it works for me that way. :cheers:

Nice bench. I spent about $30 building mine all I bought was the bolts, the lumber came from some old Emu pens I tore down. If you mount the press over a leg or on a corner it will be very solid, provided all the legs are on the floor at the same time. I have probably 10K bullets and 20-30k of brass on the shelf under the table and 3 presses on top, it don't move and its not bolted to the wall. It's no show piece like yours, those Emu stained it pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how so many have said "Bolt it to the wall" and he didn't. I wish I had found this thread before I mounted my press, it would have saved me some trouble. Seems to work for him though.

• 9 months later...