Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Sticky Primer Shuttle.

I have a Super 1050 setup for super comp. I have at least 5k rounds through it and on and off I am getting a problem with the primer shuttle getting sticky. it snaps back pretty quickly. I have taken the press apart and cleaned it up. Even polished the shuttle a little to make sure it didnt have any rough spots. My guess is that powder and getting around it and its making it bind up a little. anyone else have a problem like this?

Leo

It's probably some powder or dust that's gumming it up. As long as you're not lubing it with anything, it should be OK.

I would also pull the inner primer tube and check if the little plastic 'nozzle' for lack of a better descriptor isn't damaged/dragging on the slide.

Mine did that a few times also and I finally called Dillon. The arm that activates it needs to be almost perfectly in line with the primer tube and not tilted to one side. Once I got mine lined up, it has been smooth every since.

Look at it from the top and you can see if it is lined up good or not.

PM me if you have problems with it.

Dale

Also, be sure the primer punch and bushing are clean. If the slide snaps back, this can indicate that the punch is not being retracted fast enough by the spring. To check this, remove the shellplate, primer feed and primer slide. use the screwdriver with a notch in the center to unscrew the bushing from around the primer seating punch, and lift out these parts.

The track that the primer slide thingy slides in should be super clean. Same with the bar itself. I then squirt a little powdered graphite under the bar. Also, I have a RL 1050 so I apologize if it's not there, but there's a rubber gasket thing that helps to slow the bar as it rides in the track. In order to make mine run super smooth, I ground this down a smidge as it was dragging so much it was not letting the arm index the bar correctly.

And...the whole mouse trap (the arm that indexes the bar) needs to be timed just right. Not a big deal once you get it. Make a witness mark on the primer sleeve housing so you know where it goes the next time ('cause it will have to be removed again) you take the area aprt (for cleaning, maintenance, etc.).

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

but there's a rubber gasket thing that helps to slow the bar as it rides in the track.

Yup. Forgot about this. Sometimes the rubber will start to compress where it is in contact with the arm that actuates it. It can elongate causing it to rub against the side of the slot.

Also, if you had a jam lately, check the primer tip(blue) on the inner primer tube to make sure it didnt get boogered up. Then pull the primer slide out and check the rubber hose on the nipple (yes, I said nipple) on the primer slide. If that got oil on it and swelled or is just worn out it will stick out and rub, causing the same problem when it catches. Get some auto vaccum tubing, cut it to size, and superglue it on the nipple and you should be good to go.....

Good luck,

DougC......just worked on a buddy's two RL1050s last night which had these maladys.......they are up and running now....

+1 on the blue primer tip.

I had mine dragging the other night. I dressed it up a bit and it smoothed right out.

The hose that I used to replace the rubber was automobile windshield washer tubing. It was perfect ID and OD. My local AutoZone gave me a couple feet of scrap for free.