Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any disadvantage to 7+1+1

GIO

Your obviously only going to be able to reload 7 rounds after you start shooting. Shotgun is all about loading and not missing your targets. Most of the time its shoot 8, reload 8 and you always have one in the chamber.

Depending on the course, it may or may not be a big deal, but you may find yourself shooting the gun empty all the time which will add time to your score.

I would think ghost loading on the carrier while on the clock would require more time and a greater chance of a screw up than stuffing one in the magazine tube while on the move...no problem, of course, at LMR.

Curtis

If I only had the 18.5 in. barrel, I'd get a longer tube to fit the 8 + 1 ...course, with all that tube out ahead of you, if might look like an open gun. IIRC, it would be six inches of tube in front of your muzzle to get 8 + 1.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I have the same set up you are talking about and I usually load on the stage 4 at a time so I have not seen a disadvantage. Keep in mind that if your shotgun will ghost load and if you put an 8 shot tube on it, that would give you a capacity of 10 which kicks you into open some matches and this happened to Taran Bulter at Ft Benning. I doubt you want to alter the gun so it will not ghost load.

In 3-gun, its all downside and no upside IMHO - ghost loading is cool, but that's about it. In fact, for outlaw matches, I prefer at least a 9+1 capacity (actually, I run 10+1 on an 11-87) as this gives a bit more flexibility on how many round you can load and fire between reloads. If I were you I would buy the longer tube and let it hang out the front - don't worry, you will not shoot it off :D .

last year , Area 1 3gun, shotgun only stage, final shooting box through doorway 9 easy shots, IF you didn't have to load 1 extra round while flat footed, after that stage I put a nordic 8+1 tube on my wifes and mine benellis, learned our lesson there

Butler was not bumped to OPEN because his gun could ghost load and hold 10 rds, it was because he had more than 9 in it at the start, and the TUBE would allow him to do so. Not the carrier.

in plain English he was competing with an OPEN shotgun in Tactical, it can be put in plainer English.

Trapr

I have the same gun.

I had a tube on the gun that held 7+1. It served me well.

I got geared up to shoot the USPSA Nat's and put the Nordic tube on the gun; I got it from Benny Hill. So in any case I would have the 8+1 that everyone else had in Tac Class.

(Side note)The follower that Nordic has the one with the three raised bumps on the follower front middle and back. Worth every penny!!!!

The only time you need the 8+1 is when the rules of the match you are shooting might put you at a disadvantage. That you don't want to deal with.

Jim M ammo

Okay, let,s put this one to bed for once and for all....I was the guy that noticed Taran had "over loaded" his shotgun. Now I will say that I didn't like the rule that was in place, but as an R.O. I had to enforce it. I had SEVERAL other shooters bump into open for the same thing...the "ghost load" wasn't what put Taran into open...It was the fact that Taran had 9 rounds in his tube AND was trying to "ghost load" the shotgun, giving him 11 rounds in the gun for a 9 round MAX in the gun rule. I wish we would do away with the 9 round max rule, and just go with 9 rounds at the start...but the rule was in place and I had to enforce it. Ghost Loading has NOTHING to do with this, AND it wasn't Taran"s gun...hey these things happen. KurtM

Okay, let,s put this one to bed for once and for all....I was the guy that noticed Taran had "over loaded" his shotgun. Now I will say that I didn't like the rule that was in place, but as an R.O. I had to enforce it. I had SEVERAL other shooters bump into open for the same thing...the "ghost load" wasn't what put Taran into open...It was the fact that Taran had 9 rounds in his tube AND was trying to "ghost load" the shotgun, giving him 11 rounds in the gun for a 9 round MAX in the gun rule. I wish we would do away with the 9 round max rule, and just go with 9 rounds at the start...but the rule was in place and I had to enforce it. Ghost Loading has NOTHING to do with this, AND it wasn't Taran"s gun...hey these things happen. KurtM

That is the way I heard the story. the first time,, as well,, It seems everyone didn't get the word.. we all have different Grapevines..

I like the Idea of starting a stage with a set amount of rounds,, and after the start buzzer,,, do what you,, need to do to solve the shooting problam.

At our club, we change it around, all the time, you might start empty, or with 3,4,5,8? It keeps you on your toes. and gives folks at different skills and different equipment a way to learn how to load under presser and get your equipment right for the widest range of problem solving.

one of the benifits of having a hometown local match have our own rules. The reason I went to 8+1 was that I was going to play by USPSA rules, and I felt I would have been at a disadvantage..

Jim M ammo