Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading "Glocked" brass in a Glock

Mark K

I am one that uses a Lee "U" die to eliminate the Glock bulge when loading my 40s and 9s, because I primarily shoot 2011 type guns. However, I am working with a new member of our shooting community that wants to start reloading. He shoots a G34 only.

Should he bother with a "U" die? Seem like it would not matter.

Mark

It depends on the pistol. I have seen some Glocks that don't like "Glocked" brass. The only way to be certain is to start reloading and use the barrel of his G34 to gauge the reloads.

IMO the EGW U die is a great tool but it also reduces the life of the brass because of "overworking" it. It can't hurt to use it, you just have to replace the brass a little bit more often.

Edited by Cy Soto

I shoot 9mm open and use the Lee U-die. I quit counting the # of times I could reload 1 piece of brass. I think I was at the 7th or 8th time. I know it is probably different with different headstamps, but is there a general rule? As of now I shoot them till they split or the primer pockets get loose. Basically i wouldn't worry about any "overworking" issues. I see that as negligible as far as $ goes. The U-die "benefits" far outweigh any negatives (if you could find any) that exist.

Yes. The safety margin alone is reason enough to run one. Set back is one of those failures we can't afford to experience. The U die really helps in that department.

Jim

+1. I run them for every caliber I load, as much for the case tension (especially, in .40) than anything else. Cheap insurance, IMO...

I like the Dillon dies for all my Glocks. 50,000+ rounds and maybe 25 out of spec rounds. The Glocks don't hammer the cases nearly as much as 9mm Major guns... When the headstamp has flattened to the point that I can barely read it, I don't bother reloading them.