Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning the secret of 2011 mags

RegRob

The secret is that you have to bend the follower up and to the side so that the rounds don't nose dive. The springs don't come that way. Bending it up, keeps it from nose diving. Bending to the side, keeps it from over extending into the pistol after all the rounds are gone (catches the lip better).

This is evidently tribal knowledge. When I complained about my mag performance at a match, an experienced shooter took my mags apart and ruined the nice neat look of the Grahms springs. Ta Da! No problems feeding. He was shown the trick by Bob from Brazos in the vendor tent at Nationals.

This is my first year shooting 2011s, so this is all new to me too.

I don't know how your follower and spring looked to begin with, but my follower kit is already shaped as you described as a fix, straight out of the bag. The design of my spring wears into a nose up position during the whole life of the spring, and the lean to the right of the follower keeps the follower from passing the feed lips when the last round has been fed out. Call me if you have any questions.

The secret is that you have to bend the follower up and to the side so that the rounds don't nose dive. The springs don't come that way. Bending it up, keeps it from nose diving. Bending to the side, keeps it from over extending into the pistol after all the rounds are gone (catches the lip better).

This is evidently tribal knowledge. When I complained about my mag performance at a match, an experienced shooter took my mags apart and ruined the nice neat look of the Grahms springs. Ta Da! No problems feeding. He was shown the trick by Bob from Brazos in the vendor tent at Nationals.

This is my first year shooting 2011s, so this is all new to me too.

I have been using Grams springs and followers reliably for years, with 40 S&W and 38 Super and Supercomp, 140mm and 170mm, STI and SV mag tubes without ever bending a spring. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have or have had at least 22 different high cap mags that used them without bending spring. This is with two open guns and two limited guns.

Me two---never had to bend one of Bevan's springs or his replacement springs.

Hello: Check the feed lips to make sure they are correct. I would not go bending the spring to make the follower do what you think it needs to do. The spring and follower are sold as a drop in kit and works just fine when the mags are correct. Lots of info on mags even some by our host and the STI websight. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Hello: Check the feed lips to make sure they are correct. I would not go bending the spring to make the follower do what you think it needs to do. The spring and follower are sold as a drop in kit and works just fine when the mags are correct. Lots of info on mags even some by our host and the STI websight. Thanks, Eric

Yes, I'm studying, and it doesn't seem so complicated to me, I made sure all the mag lips have the correct width, opens up slightly towards the feed ramp, are polished, pointing straight, and just a thad rounded off at the edge.

What's funny is, for instance, that the Grams set works in the Rescomp tubes, and not at all in the SPS and STI tubes, while as the SPS spring and follower works nicely in the SPS tubes, and no place else. The STI tubes dont't work with any combination, not even the original spring and follower. They found their way to the trash can, so that I don't have to look at the darn things.

And I don't understand why. That's what really bugs me. After a LOT of experimenting, I now have 5 working magazines, which will do for now. But I still don't know what makes them work. How long will they work, and how do I replace them? Oh, well... I'll get there, I guess.

BTW: my rounds are 30,5 mm / 1.200 inches.

Edited by RegRob

I've put Gram's guts in almost all of my mags. Wether they are STI, SV or Rescomp.

They always worked fine from day one. My STI mags were 17 rounders, reloadable, my SV mags are 18s with SV pads and the Rescomp are 19s with 9 1/2 coils grams springs with Schuwiduu pads (now they are sold by Saul Kirsch at DAA).

Now, with the Bolen kits, SV mag body and SV +2 pads, I have 19s in a Tri topped .40sw SV sight tracker and fit the box (tight, but it fit ! ).

The only combination I know which would give you more than 17 rounds in a STI IPSC legal mag is : STI mag body, Gram's 9 1/2 coils and Schuwiduu pad.

Then you have the famous "brazilian mags" which are 19 rounds and reloadable.

I've put Gram's guts in almost all of my mags. Wether they are STI, SV or Rescomp.

They always worked fine from day one. My STI mags were 17 rounders, reloadable, my SV mags are 18s with SV pads and the Rescomp are 19s with 9 1/2 coils grams springs with Schuwiduu pads (now they are sold by Saul Kirsch at DAA).

Now, with the Bolen kits, SV mag body and SV +2 pads, I have 19s in a Tri topped .40sw SV sight tracker and fit the box (tight, but it fit ! ).

The only combination I know which would give you more than 17 rounds in a STI IPSC legal mag is : STI mag body, Gram's 9 1/2 coils and Schuwiduu pad.

Then you have the famous "brazilian mags" which are 19 rounds and reloadable.

Julien,

How does the capacity of the Schuwiduu/DAA Pads compare to Dawson Wedge or Rescomp Pads? Are they easily box legal with standard STI/SVI guns, or are they sometimes not legal and require tweaking to fit the box? Are you satisfied with the overall quality and durability?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Raudi

If my memory is good, The Rescomp body and Dawson pad only gives 18s. I have no experience with the Rescomp pads.

About compatibility with different guns, I know for sure that it will fit the box in a tri topped pistol, maybe a flat topped also.

I'm not sure about round top such as Edge or Executive, but Greg Midgley, who is a member of STI Euro Team and top shooter uses en Edge, and he's the one who introduced me to this combination. So, it should work.

About durability, I'm very satisfied with them, as they are match only magazines, they suffer less than my training mags. But I have a schuwiduu pad on one of my traing mags and it held pretty well considering how abused these mags are.

I think the new DAA version of these pads was redesigned to enhance durability.

• 1 month later...

Julien, do you have some pics, how to (and where) reshape Bolen kit, resp spring ? Standard kit is FTF for me....

Edited by ViktorCistic

RegRob,

I use SPS high capacity mags for standard division, and it's 20 rounds.

BTW : the tubes for SPS = 120mm while STI = 126mm.

*Had a buddy with the same issues - eventually, the problem was with feed ramp. I'm not suggesting it's the same problem, but just giving you some food for thought(it might not be the mags).

• 3 months later...
Has anyone purchased / used one of the Dawson mag tuning kits, and can you give any feedback?

I bought one. It's OK. Learned a few things from the DVD. Tools are decent quality. However, I was not able to get my mags to run 100%. I finally decided I could spend my time learning how to tune mags or I could pay someone else to do it and I could spend my time shooting. So my mags are are with Freedom Gunworks to get the treatment.