Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single or double stack

bugsbear

i am a relatively new shooter. my skills are d class; some days worse, other days a little better. a fair goal would be lower time c class.

i shoot uspsa and idpa. my newest purchase was a sti trojan in 9 mm for idpa esp. it is a great gun, but handicaps me in uspsa single stack.

i have been looking at the sti uspsa, the edge and eagle in 40 s&w. while i like the idea of going to a double stack, i don't like the cost of mags.

this is a mental issue more than economic.

my thought of shooting anything "faster" than limited 10 is not likely. is there any benefit in purchasing a double stack unless i shoot limited?

thanks.

nels

i am a relatively new shooter. my skills are d class; some days worse, other days a little better. a fair goal would be lower time c class.

i shoot uspsa and idpa. my newest purchase was a sti trojan in 9 mm for idpa esp. it is a great gun, but handicaps me in uspsa single stack.

i have been looking at the sti uspsa, the edge and eagle in 40 s&w. while i like the idea of going to a double stack, i don't like the cost of mags.

this is a mental issue more than economic.

my thought of shooting anything "faster" than limited 10 is not likely. is there any benefit in purchasing a double stack unless i shoot limited?

thanks.

nels

You could always check out the CZ TS in 40. Mags with extensions hold 20 and the price of a new gun from Angus is about $1100. Plus, no plastic!

Why do you feel the Trojan limits you?

With Metalform or Tripp/Cobra mags you have 10+1 in Singlestack minor. As long as you make your shots, you should be in good shape. Are you reloading? If you go to a 40S&W gun, you will either have to reload or buy ammo. With the 9mm in minor, bulk ammo works just fine.

A better way to look at it, at least in my opinion, is what Division do you want to shoot in? Once you have made that decision; look at, talk to, ask if you can shoot, etc the guns of the local guys in that Division and make up our mind on what works for you. Otherwise you will end up like a lot of us, buying and selling guns that were not the right choice for you.

Quality singlestack mags run $25 or $30 (or more sometimes)..... fully assembled STI mags from Brownells cost about $60 each..... 9or less if you have discount codes, etc) and you need fewer of them to shoot USPSA (4 to start out?) versus needing maybe 6 or 7 singlestack mags..... so the cost really isn't that bad.

Now, if you add aftermarket base pads, spring kits, and get them tuned, yes, STI mags get very expensive.... but you don't NEED that stuff, it just gets you from 18 rounds to 20 rounds, and most guns run fine with untuned mags.

I'd say keep your Trojan, practice your reloads til they are seamless, and you won't be D class very long. If at some point you just want to try Limited out, then by all means get a Limited gun and have fun.

9mm is a great way to go. Sure you can get a double stack--$1600 for the gun, $300 for the mags, add a new holster and cost of ammo. If you got the money go for it.

However, I have seen a lot more transitioning from .40 to 9 in both Limited, L10, and SS. Learning to shoot minor places more focus on accuracy. If you are patient, over time your accuracy will greatly improve. This will help you start to do better. Additionally, your splits will be faster and your recoil management improves.

So save your money, buy new mags to shoot L10, buy more ammo. Buy a couple of books-Enos, Bassham, Anderson. Buy Burkett's DVDs. Learn to do things right, you might not be a fast in the beginning but when you make B your move to A faster. I know a great number of shooters who lament that they wish they took formal training early in their shooting career. They had to correct many many training scars/mistakes because they did not spend enough time learning the fundamentals correctly.

oh, get some Wilson ETM or Metalform 10 round 9mm mags (I prefer the Wilsons) and even though you are shooting minor, the extra couple rounds is nice to have..... focus on accuracy for IDPA and USPSA, and your Classification/progress will take care of itself.

oh, get some Wilson ETM or Metalform 10 round 9mm mags (I prefer the Wilsons) and even though you are shooting minor, the extra couple rounds is nice to have..... focus on accuracy for IDPA and USPSA, and your Classification/progress will take care of itself.

Yup. Do this for a while and you'll be able to answer this question yourself in short order.

Take a look at the STI Eagle 5.0 in .40.

You could shoot ESP with it (non bull barrel) and then load hotter and shoot Limited/L10 with it. The benefit is proficiency with a single gun for both discipline.

If you really want a jack of all trades, buy a Glock 21. You could shoot, SSP, ESP, CDP, Production, Limited, Limited 10 and even Open if your frisky. lol

Edited by Aristotle

I have both and I shoot both Limited and SS plus ESP and CDP. If you have the dough I would get a Bushing Barrel eagle in .40 and use it for both games. I've been shooting my .40 SS in SS division and ESP lately and been loving that.

my newest purchase was a sti trojan in 9 mm for idpa esp. it is a great gun, but handicaps me in uspsa single stack.

nels

Bugsbear, when you say your 9mm Trojan limits you for USPSA SS, do you mean the caliber? Yeah, shooting SS Minor is a consideration, and you're dropping a lot of points w/ C and D hits -but you probably knew that. On the other hand, your splits are probably quicker than when shooting a .45 acp.

There's a guy I shoot w/ a lot and he's shooting a SS in 9mm, whereas I'm shooting a SS in .45 acp in Major. Try as I might, I can't catch him. But then again, maybe that's why I am a C-class shooter and he's a B! Sometimes I think my .45 is my handicap, but I staying with it.

That said, there's always a .40 S&W Trojan.

If the concern is trying to hit that skinny hole w/ a SS mag... practice, practice, practice! Technique can go a long way in overcoming inherent handicaps in the hardware. Have you considered a magwell?

Cheers

Edited by 2MoreChains

If the concern is trying to hit that skinny hole w/ a SS mag... practice, practice, practice! Technique can go a long way in overcoming inherent handicaps in the hardware. Magwells can help too!

If its the small hole that bothers you think of it like this. SS mags are smaller also ;)

Forgot to add, the 9mm SS shooter (referred to in my earlier post) and I were comparing advantages of Minor vs Major SS last weekend. He can plan the way he shoots his COF based on 10+1 rounds, where as I have to contend w/ 8+1. The way some COF's are laid out, those extra couple of rounds before a reload can make a 1 to 2 sec difference in time if he doesn't have to reload, or can put it off until he has to move to another shooting box.

On the other hand, I don't usually have to worry about calibration of pepper poppers, and that really big hole of a LSWC has saved me from a no-shoot or hardcover. Pluses and minuses, glass is half-full. Shoot with what you got. That 9mm Trojan is a nice gun.

Edited by 2MoreChains

i appreciate all of the good commments. they definitely give me food for thought.

the trojan is a great gun. i added a s&a magwell. the small hole is not so bad now! i also purchased tripp 10 round mags that work well. (my 10 round wilson's hit the ejector, so they are in the safe).

the motivation for a new gun is that my stable of guns only has one 40 s&w, a da/sa sig 229. the sa is so light, you sneeze and it goes off. not a good gun for me.

i "need" a 40 s&w to round out my supply. since i am not very accurate, ie a lot of c and ds, shooting minor hurts my scores. the 40 s&w should help.

the best advice is shoot a lot of ammo, use one gun and perfect the shooting. as i tell my girlfriend, it is not a matter of needing, but satisfying the wanting! :cheers:

thanks again for the great advce.

nels

Edited by bugsbear