Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vhitavouri Powder is it worth the $$$?

Sixgun

Hi All.

I am wondering if it is worth going to the trouble of locating a source for VV N350. There isn't a VV dealer here in SouthEastern MI (that I could find anyway!)

This will be used to load .357 Mag and .40 S&W.

I am currently using AA #5 to load the .357. I don't have the .40 dies yet to load for the new open gun!

Should I stick to what is available locally ( #5,7, &9, Blue Dot, HS7 etc...). or look into buying VV in bulk over the internet?

Thanks,

Ray C.

Having used a wide variety of smokeless pistol powders from nearly all of the manufacturers, I now use VV smokeless powders exclusively in all of my loads.  VV powder burns exceptionaly clean in all of guns - there is no unburnt powder and next to no residue leftover in the barrel.  What I like best about VV powder is that it meters very consistantly (+/- .1gr) in my Dillon powder measure.

I am not sure how much of a hurry you are in, as I would recommend picking some up at a gun show.  The hazmat charge along with the shipping cost makes it too expensive to order online.  AtoZ Reloading out of Indy sells all of the VV powders and they usually make quite a few gun shows outside of Indy.  

Good luck.

Keary

Never used VV powder, but here's my 2 cents:  I wouldn't use the high zoot powders unless I was forced to for some compelling reason.  i.e. cleanliness, accuracy, need the pressure to drive a comp.  Lot's of folks (like me) are using bargain basement Titegroup and having fine results.   However, our gracious host uses VV and surely does so for a reason.  I think Rob L. is sponsored by VV also.  

Being a mere mortal, I don't think it will help *me* much.  Your mileage may vary.

E

I order all my VV powders through Shooters Connection - some locals are selling it for $6/lb more than I can get from him, but when I sat down and thought about it, I decided the hazmat fees and shipping were a small price to pay to support someone that supports us so much.

The Vit powders really are worth the extra cost.  I never have to clean my comp :)

I've been playing with the V V line for a couple of months now. Here is what I have learned:

Purpose comparisons:

N310 vs Clays and 125 PF 40 S&W 155 FMJ-FP.

Both meter good (+/-.2), both are very clean, V V has slightly less flash, Clays average better SD's.

Clays is as clean, meters just as well, displays a bit more flash, displays slightly better ballistics and is significantly cheaper when compared with N310.

(FOR ME)......Clays also doubles as THE powder for 12 gauge target loads.

N320 vs WST vs Titegroup and 125 PF 9x19mm 115 FMJ,

165 PF 40 S&W 180 and 165 PF 200 45 ACP.

WST has significantly softer recoil of the bunch. WST and Titegroup meter Excellant (+/- .1) while N320 is good (+/.2), Titegroup is highly energetic with 37% nitro content and is not sensitive to casefill (but easy to double charge). Also  means it's "snappy" and has a really robust report but with very mild flash (same as N320 for flash) WST has mild flash except in revolvers where it is moderate. TG's increased recoil makes it less desirable than WST for competition but it's really cool for moderate blasting. Titegroup has phenomenally uniform ballistics with SD's always around the 6.0 - 10.0 range in 9mm, 40 and 45. N320 is cleanest followed by Titegroup (especially when pressured up) and WST. TG most likely the cheapest pistol powder available.

N350 vs Powerpistol for Hi-Performance 9mm/40 S&W.

Both have nearly identical ballistics in 40 S&W. Power pistol is THE flash king, brilliant in all calibers, meters excellent. Powerpistol has the edge in velocity in 9mm and is used for NATO 124 FMJ production.

Pro's: V V exhibits nearly ZERO flash. N350 would be THE choice for a factory duplication, defense low light practice load.

Con's: Cost is significantly higher at between $6.00 to $8.00 per lb difference in addition to suffering from more limited availability. Clays, WST, Titegroup have as good or better characteristics and are readily available.  

Load safe and as always your mileage may vary...

TR

(Edited by Tree Rat at 7:23 am on Sep. 4, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

Tree Rat: Excellent post. My findings agree w/ yours as to TG being clean in high pressure loadings(like 9mm and .40) but less clean in low pressure loadings like the .45ACP. Good point.

Also agree w/ comparison (in MINOR .40 S&W, not major) loaded w/ straight Clays vs. VV N310. For MINOR .40, Clays may be the ideal low cost powder.

BTW, I am still using straight Clays in MAJOR .45 while recognizing that it may not be the best powder for making major PF in the .40 S&W.

Another note concerning Clays and Minor 40..........

I load 155 FMJ-FP's to 1.140 for my single stack. At that length, you can't get any lower than 136 PF even at start charge of 3.6. The cases fall at my feet for the lightest recoil you can imagine......using a 10# spring.

TR

• 2 weeks later...

Guys!

I am shocked!

Here in Germany the prices for propellants are much higher than in the US!!!

For 500 grams of VV N340 we have to pay around 40 EURO´s (=40 Dollars!!!). In the US: 20 Dollars.

For 500 grams of the french Vectan Nobel Sp2Pracitcal we have to pay 28 EUROs (=Dollars)!!! In the US: 10 Dollars!

Isn´t it crazy?

The stuff

is produced in the European Union, then shipped more than 3000 miles towards America and then much cheaper than here in the land where it has been produced!?

(Edited by Peter K at 7:49 pm on Oct. 10, 2002)

[scratchy Old Grandpa's Voice ON]

Gather 'round the fire laddies and let me regale you with stories of yesteryear....

When *I* was a boy, we used to still buy our reloading stuff at the old hardware store - the one that had the 75 year old cash register and pictures of sturgeon pinned up behind the counter that made Shamu look like guppy.  I would ride my bike three or four miles to the store and park it in the hall between the inner and outer door.  Waaaaayy back in a dusty corner were some big kegs of powder and a scale.  I'd tell the owner how much powder I wanted and he'd scoop it out, weigh it, then send me home with a lunch sack full of gunpowder.  I think I was all of thirteen, maybe fourteen years old.  Nobody have a devil's damn about how old I was.  They knew my Dad and that was all the authorization I needed.

Price: about $7 a pound for Red Dot, and I thought that was a King's ransom to pay.  That was a full week's worth of lawn mowing.  

Ohhhh....those were the days....

E