Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning media

Baer45

Pistol, pet store corn cob with used dryer sheets and Simoniz "New 500 Series Car Wax". Cheap, can be bought for $1.50 to $1.70 for 16oz. it is already thin just add. IMHO very close to Nu Finish on ammo have not tried it on a car yet. :lol:

Rifle, pet store walnut lizard litter and drier sheets then after loaded to clean, polish and get remaining lube off into the corn cob mix.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been tumbling 9mm brass for the past several weeks. I had about 8 years worth of saved up brass (knew I'd start reloading one day). I tried walmart corn cob first and wasn't super impressed with it. Next, I got some of the fine walnut media from harbor freight and that stuff did a much better job. It's what I've used on most of the brass. Yesterday, I decided to try a mix of my old walnut (it's probably done at least 7k rounds) and the corn cob I'd used for a batch or two. I poured them both into the tumbler, added just a bit of turtle wax, and then dumped in about 500 9mm cases I'd picked up at a recent match. Then I did some reloading. I'd meant to give it 2 hours, but because I was busy loading, it ended up getting 4 hours. You almost need sun glasses for looking at this brass. I don't know if it's the mix, or the fact that it's "newer" brass and hasn't sat dirty for years, but my tumbling has never before resulted in such new looking brass.

I'm almost tempted to retumble a batch of my walnut tumbled cases in the mix to see if they come out looking like this last batch.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.

1) the bigger and harder the media the coarser

2) polish is the key to cleaning. I add polish everytime

3) When adding polish let tumbler run till all polish is mixed in, no clumps.

4) Don't leave the top off when mixing the polish, drys out the polish, talk about dust.

Almost all corncob media comes from the same mill in Mt Pulaski IL. www.mtpulski.com

I've been getting mine from them for years and when I first started getting it I told them I want the same

stuff MidwayUSA gets. (14/20) I pickup bags (50lbs) for $16 (include tx)

1) the bigger and harder the media the coarser

2) polish is the key to cleaning. I add polish everytime

4) Don't leave the top off when mixing the polish, drys out the polish, talk about dust.

Almost all corncob media comes from the same mill in Mt Pulaski IL. www.mtpulski.com

I've been getting mine from them for years and when I first started getting it I told them I want the same

stuff MidwayUSA gets. (14/20) I pickup bags (50lbs) for $16 (include tx)

Will they ship their product or do you need to pick up at their facility?

Correction to website: www.mtpulaksi.com

http://www.mtpulaski.com/Maizorb.html #2 (14/20)

1) ...

2) ...

I had a real funny squib recently from putting the polish in after the cases. It seems a blob of polish got in the bottom of a case. It decaped and loaded just fine, but when I fired it the bullet went poof and then reddish smoke came out of the receiver (burning polish). My gun looked like a smoke bomb for about 10 seconds.

So are you guys paste wax for a polishing agent or liquid wax? Mine get pretty bright and shiny using the walnut media, I don't know if it could get any cleaner, but I'd like to try it.

I use the lyman tuff nut. It is treated walnut. That stuff polishes to a mirror shine. No dust either, its kinda moist all the time. I recharge it once a year. O and I am very picky so about 5 hours in the tumbler.

I use cob, same size as corn meal, comes treated and untreated, add a little flitz tumbler additive to restore,

when done tumbling, pour in a plastic lettuce drainer in a plastic tub and shake. Never clogs fireing pin holes

and cleans good.

One of my buds told me he uses ground pecan shells- says they're a bit softer than walnut so, with a little polish thrown in, produce a nice result. I can't ask him about it right now, since he won't be back in the U.S. for another 5-6 weeks. Is it worth looking into, or should I just buy walnut from Petco? Or, maybe no one's heard of it!

Chuck

on the same subject....but not really

What's the difference between "treated" and "untreated" corn cobb media?

For the record: I use a combo of walnut husk and corn cobb media, with a couple cap fulls of polishing cream...usually last me....2000 rounds or so (.45acp) before needing replacement. I run my tumbler all night, turn it on when going to bed, and turn it off when I get up...(usually 6-8 hrs). Should the house burn down during the process........that's what I have home owners insurance for!

THG :cheers: