Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180s in 9x19 anyone got the recipe?

mikeone

There are several 180 gr 38/357 molds. Just size them down to .356-.357. Powder? I would start with 2.2 gr of Solo 1000.

You will need to load the bullets fairly long. 1.150 or more to keep from bulging the case.

I hope you have a chrono. Remember all of this is just a WAG. :surprise:

I load 2.7 gr of Solo with a 160 gr bullet. That gets me about 805 fps.

Pick a round that has a fairly blunt nose as you want to keep the bullet as short as possible.

You may run into tumbling issues. I tried Clays with the 160 gr bullet - half the bullets tumbled.

BTW don't call me if you blow your gun up.

The heaviest bullet loaded in a 9mm Para was a 150gr LSWC published in an old issue of American Handgunner magazine, written by John Taffin - Nov/Dec 1989.

The load was 6.5gr/WW540 for a velocity of 1054fps. Remember that WW540 is the same as/similar to HS6.

He also used 4.5gr/Herco.

The bullet was cast from an RCBS #38-150KT mould and sized to .356"

Edited by RePete

There are several 180 gr 38/357 molds. Just size them down to .356-.357. Powder? I would start with 2.2 gr of Solo 1000.

You will need to load the bullets fairly long. 1.150 or more to keep from bulging the case.

I hope you have a chrono. Remember all of this is just a WAG. :surprise:

I load 2.7 gr of Solo with a 160 gr bullet. That gets me about 805 fps.

Pick a round that has a fairly blunt nose as you want to keep the bullet as short as possible.

You may run into tumbling issues. I tried Clays with the 160 gr bullet - half the bullets tumbled.

BTW don't call me if you blow your gun up.

I was thinking something similar. 160s may be a smarter idea. But I just wanna do 180s

Ill get some solo, I wonder if 3n38 or n350 would work?

And thanks Ill be careful :cheers: , this is just one of those things I gotta know.

Mike

I have no use for the expensive VV powders. There are other powders that perform just as well for about half of what the VV powders cost. I wonder if VV would sell as much powder if it was called Bob's Powder. Probably not sexy enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 180 gr. Copper plated flat point bullet loaded to close to 180 PF in my 38 Super. I have used 158 gr. LRN in 9x19 and they had quite a bulge in the case. If you load 180 gr. In 9x19 I would suggest you load them to 38 Super length (if your gun and barrel allows that length)

Thanks guys! It seems clear Im gonna have to go long. I gotta get a 9mm throater now and go to work.

I think the end result would end up looking like a 9mm MAJOR chamber but shooting heavy pills.

This should be fun, I just wanna see how far and worth wild for other shooters this can be.

Thanks Mike

I use a 180 gr. Copper plated flat point bullet loaded to close to 180 PF in my 38 Super. I have used 158 gr. LRN in 9x19 and they had quite a bulge in the case. If you load 180 gr. In 9x19 I would suggest you load them to 38 Super length (if your gun and barrel allows that length)

Is that bullet US made? Im thinking probably not seeing from where your from.

Im interested none the less. Thanks Mike

Thanks guys! It seems clear Im gonna have to go long. I gotta get a 9mm throater now and go to work.

I think the end result would end up looking like a 9mm MAJOR chamber but shooting heavy pills.

This should be fun, I just wanna see how far and worth wild for other shooters this can be.

Thanks Mike

Mike:

I've gotta ask.

Why do you want to load a 180gr'er in a 9mm Para?

If you are looking for a 180 grain to use in a 9mm, see if you can get this bullet, the front band is smaller in diameter than the base and middle band. Front band rides on the lands so bullet can be seated to a longer oal without reaming barrel. Saeco also has a 158 grain version which I have been using for about 15 years.

For anyone shooting 38 or 357, this bullet will almost cut holes like a wadcutter but will be reload more like a round nose since there is no "shoulder" to catch on the chamber edge.

Saeco__396.doc

Mike:

I've gotta ask.

I just wanna see if it can be done with some regularity for an ABSOLUTE MOUSEFART 9mm minor load.

I have heard stories of how soft these shoot in 9, I think it may have a place for new guys like my self.

Plus I love weird stuff like this.

Mike

Mike:

I've gotta ask.

I just wanna see if it can be done with some regularity for an ABSOLUTE MOUSEFART 9mm minor load.

I have heard stories of how soft these shoot in 9, I think it may have a place for new guys like my self.

Plus I love weird stuff like this.

Mike

That big of a bullet and that little bit of powder is going to have some serious drop at even the ranges we shoot at. Depending on the gun you use it might be hard to down spring it enough to eject and then have enough spring to go back into battery. Also take into consideration, some powders behave very badly if to little is used.