Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 accuracy in 9x23 chamber

mikeone

This is just a hypothetical question, If I rechambered my STI trojan ramped barrel

to 9x23 what type of accuracy can one expect from 9x19 being fired in said chamber.

would this pretty much be a .38 in a .357 chamber type scenario.

The only reason Im asking is I read you could use 9x19 9x21 9x23 and 38sc

all in the same chamber.

Thanks Mike

PS how about 9 major loads?

This is just a hypothetical question, If I rechambered my STI trojan ramped barrel

to 9x23 what type of accuracy can one expect from 9x19 being fired in said chamber.

all in the same chamber.

Thanks Mike

I've never tried it (I have a 9x21), but would guess that accuracy would suffer since you are headspacing off of the extractor. I know the 9x19 will fire, I've just not checked the accuracy.

Many years ago some 38 supers had long chambers cut with the intent of using the extractor for headspacing and accuracy in those cases was not acceptable. I don't remember who exactly did this test or why they did it (it was in the late 70's or early 80's), I just remember the results.

Bill

Many years ago some 38 supers had long chambers cut with the intent of using the extractor for headspacing and accuracy in those cases was not acceptable. I don't remember who exactly did this test or why they did it (it was in the late 70's or early 80's), I just remember the results.

Bill

Actually all of the early Colt .38 Supers were set up to headspace on the semi-rim and that's why they developed the reputation for being inaccurate. Colt kept making them that way until 1988. R,

all in the same chamber.

Thanks Mike

A friend of mine had a 9X23 open gun for sale a while back and I posed the same questions to him. He tried it with factory, 9mm loads and told me it wasn't very accurate, but, he didn't go in to details. Then, he re-barrelled it to 9mm luger and when I test fired it, and foung that I could get 1/2" groups out of it at 25 yards, I HAD to buy it. :roflol:

It should work, it will be kept against the breechface by the extractor. Accuracy at distances farther than 15yds will suffer. When I got free 9x19 I shot it in my 9SC steel guns, but I eventually switched over to 9x19 barrels later. I dont know about long term problems as I didnt do it long term.

In a pinch it should work, just depends on the gun and how it is sprung.....

DougC

I have an older factory SV in 9x23 and the previous owner (bought it from the original owner) didn't want to mess with the 9x23. He shot some of his loads from a different 9mm open gun and found it functioned good. When I got it I tried it with some 9mm loads and found the accuracy was surprisingly good. I finally got the 3K+ rounds of Win 9x23 brass that came with the gun so now I am loading that.

I think this is one of those things where it is a individual thing where different loads and guns will react different. I have found .38 SPL loads that shoot better than most of the .357 Loads in my 627PC. Spent some time behind it in a Ransom rest and found some interesting results.

Neal in AZ

You know Im wondering now If loading long 9mm would easy the headspace and bullet jump issue.

It seems to me 9x19 in a 9x23 chamber just headspaces off the etractor and has a ton of freebore.

Edited by mikeone

You know Im wondering now If loading long 9mm would easy the headspace and bullet jump issue.

It seems to me 9x19 in a 9x23 chamber just headspaces off the etractor and has a ton of freebore.

It's probably close to 1/4" of extra freebore. The longest I've been able to load 9 Major is 1.195" using 124 gr MG JHP. You could go longer with a heavier bullet, but defeats the purpose of a comp on the end of the barrel. The longer overall bullet length should help with feeding.

Bill

I have three 9x23 pistols and have run 9 mm in two of them and really saw no difference in accuracy out to 15 yards. The guns ran flawless and I even shot a steel match with one.

I saw no reason to continue and have since loaded 9x23 brass to lower velocities when I want 9 mm power from a 9x23 pistol. I have a few 1911 9 mm pistols also, so I really don't have a need to continue shooting with 9 mm in a 9x23.

Buddy

It's probably close to 1/4" of extra freebore. The longest I've been able to load 9 Major is 1.195" using 124 gr MG JHP. You could go longer with a heavier bullet, but defeats the purpose of a comp on the end of the barrel. The longer overall bullet length should help with feeding.

Bill

Loading longer seems like a good idea. I just happened to pick up a Caspian, advertised as 9mm. Turns out, it's 9x21. I put an 8lb spring in it, tightened the extractor and shot about 80 rounds through it, without hiccup. It was accurate at 10 yards but I hadn't loaded any ammo so had to stop. A few of the rounds I borrowed were loaded for Major PF and worked fine. I had thought of reaming out to 9x23 and shooting SuperComp - despite the loose fit with the straight walled case but think I'll try 9mm, at 1.195. May I ask what your load is? I plan to use a 124g MG JHP, on top of about 7gr of Longshot, with CCI small rifle primers. That's close to my standard load for 38 Super (7.4g), which is very consistent and reliable.