Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Barrels

SteveHarris

I have a Glock 34 that shoots ok but I'd like to improve the accuracy and I’m thinking about a new barrel like a fitted Bar-Sto. That will cost with barrel, tax, shipping, and gunsmithing about $300 :wacko: I’d like to know how much ‘bang-for-the-buck’ I should expect.

Before and after stories are welcome :)

... but I'd like to improve the accuracy...

Can you define that please? What is the accuracy requirement?

I seriously doubt that you need a new barrel. :)

Better sights..better ammo...better trigger...maybe.

The stock barrel will outshoot all but the bullseye crowd...if the shooter does their part.

The stock barrel will outshoot all but the bullseye crowd...if the shooter does their part.

I agree. I'm still amazed by the accuracy of my G17. (Mind you I'm a pretty good bullseye shooter even if I say so myself). Glocks and other "defensive/police"-style pistols may have a name to be not so accurate as e.g. a SIG 210 or even a Tanfoglio, but they are in fact pretty accurate. I'm capable of shooting 2" groups of five shots at 25 meters with my standard G17, from standing position. For me as an IPSC shooter that's accurate enough. I have more problems with my vision (I'm wearing glasses) at those distances than with the accuracy of the gun :-)

Some friends of mine use KKM barrels in their G34. AFAIK they use them mainly to avoid denting of the brass upon ejecting.

It is my understanding (from teammates) that the only reason why anybody would want to replace a Glock's barrel is to have a conventional rifling instead of the "rounded-edged-lands" one actually factory installed: this is done to help lead bullets to properly and fully engage the rifling.

Would you consider, instead of replacing the barrel, to replace the whole gun with something more "irony"?

:P:P:P

I bought a drop in Bar Sto barrel for my Glock 22C. I'm not sure if I notice much in accuracy (although that could be me). It is somewhat hotter (higher velociy). Trouble is, it doesn't reliably feed my really light loads and it's not 100% reliable with any of my extended (+5 pads) magazines. Works flawless with standard ammo and standard mags though.

Reason I bought it was to have a NON comped Glock. I'll probably just get a factory G22 barrel.

I have replaced the barrels in both my 34's with bar-sto's and noticed both an accuracy increase and a velocity increase in both cases. But was it worth the money, I'd probably say no. It really depends on your game. If you are shooting IDPA or production class, you will be able to do just fine with the stock barrel for 95% of the stages. Where you will get the advantage is on a 20 or 25 yard standard or a high disaster factor stage with no-shoots or hardcover over large portions of the targets. On the other hand if you are shooting NRA action or Bulleye with a Glock, I would question your choice of weapon, but I would say you would see an advantage from a better barrel.

Personally, I'm an accuracy freak, which is why I have a match barrel in almost everything I shoot.

Steve,

I have a fitted Bar-sto in a G35. It is probably a little more accurate than my stock barrelled G35, but not enough for me to spend $300 dollars just for accuracy.

HTRedneck-maybe that's why I get a few funny looks at the NRA-AP matches (Glock with a Bar-sto). :D Would you help a newbie out here by explaining why my plastic fantastic doesn't measure up for this game?

Thanks, Tom Bergman

I agree with most of the replays, Twix said it right

" have a fitted Bar-sto in a G35. It is probably a little more accurate than my stock barrelled G35, but not enough for me to spend $300 dollars just for accuracy."

I also have a fitted Barsto in one of my G35's i could buy the barrel very cheap and it looks nice.

My backup G35 and my G34 still have the stockbarrel.

Adrie

Are you thinking about the bar-sto only? I put a kkm in my 17l that had thousands of rounds through the factory barrel and found only a small inprovement but a nice look! Bomar sights with a fiber optic drilled into the front would be cheaper and should give you much more improvement in hitting the point of aim fast. That's what I found anyway. old john

Did I only imagine posting again on this thread or was I deleted?

I did some benching Tuesday with a G35 and a custom fitted Bar-sto vs. a stock G35.

If you are still interested Steve Harris, post . Hint: The Bar-sto was signifigantly more accurate.

Thanks to everyone for your input. My glock is a 34 (9mm) and the replies for 35s (40 S&W) may be 'a different ball game' because the Glock 35 dosen't fully support the case whereas the Glock 34 does. I shot with an IDPA SSP Master who had just replaced his Glock 17 (9mm) with a fited Bar-Sto and he said he really couldn't tell a difference in accuracy. Shooting lead bullets could justify the new barrel but I'd still shoot jacket bullets. I guess I'll work on the shooter and see is the stock Glock barrel gets more accurate ;)