Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magtech Primers

TerryO

I like so many others am having trouble locating reloading components. Usually use Federal primes but can not find the small pistol primers anywhere. I have found a source with Magtech by the 5000 case. Anyone have feedback on them?

I use the Russian ones. They have a GREAT reputation in Benchrest shooting circles. Besides their military, the Russian plants made primers for their olympic teams - so its no surprise they are that good. I have found them to be the best (and among the cheapest.

Besides, I hear the Magtechs are from brazil and I'd prefer not to take chances with 3rd world production tolerances.

Over a year ago I decided to try some of the Magtech primers. I picked up 10K each of the LP and SP. I have used the SP in various autos (STI's, glocks, HK, Tanfoglio, Hi Power) and revolvers (PC 627, Bill Davis PPC gun) and the LP's in both autos (STI's, Oly .45 ACP carbine) and revolvers (25, 625's, 629, redhawk).

I have had zero problems with them and whish I had bought more.

Neal in AZ

Over a year ago I decided to try some of the Magtech primers. I picked up 10K each of the LP and SP. I have used the SP in various autos (STI's, glocks, HK, Tanfoglio, Hi Power) and revolvers (PC 627, Bill Davis PPC gun) and the LP's in both autos (STI's, Oly .45 ACP carbine) and revolvers (25, 625's, 629, redhawk).

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal. I feel a bit safer now.

Carlos, I have been using Wolf's primers and agree with you on the quality and price. But word musta got out, cause I can't find them in stock anywhere! But isn't Russia considered a third world country? :unsure:

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal. I feel a bit safer now.

Carlos, I have been using Wolf's primers and agree with you on the quality and price. But word musta got out, cause I can't find them in stock anywhere! But isn't Russia considered a third world country? :unsure:

Yeah, I really like the Wolf primers. They're cheap, consistent, nice hard cup doesn't crush in my press when they are slightly off center.

Magtechs are kind of like Federal's, except cheaper. They have a relatively soft cup, any little grain will mar the primer. And between my brother and I have gone through a few sleeves that I am almost out of and have not had any issues, except that they crease really easily when loading them. I like them better than Federals, but now that they are just as expensive, I'd rather by the tried and true.

I have loaded about 4K in the large pistol in .45acp. Works great in 1911s and not so good in my lightened 625s.....I crush them in just like my Federals and they dont go bang every time like the Federals.....so they are not as sensitive.

I have more on the shelf to load and think they are just fine when they are cheaper than the others......FWIW....\

DougC

Don't know what will happen by the time you read this, but at 1:30 P.M. eastern time today (2-19), Graf & Sons had Fed. small pistol primers in stock.

Alan~^~

By the time I read this 4:27 Central time all they had were boxes of 1000. WOW!

I have loaded about 4K in the large pistol in .45acp. Works great in 1911s and not so good in my lightened 625s.....I crush them in just like my Federals and they dont go bang every time like the Federals.....so they are not as sensitive.

I have more on the shelf to load and think they are just fine when they are cheaper than the others......FWIW....\

DougC

Just to clarify about the LP's in my Revos. My two 625's have had action jobs but certainly not as nice and light as the Randy Lee gun I tried. As long as my actions are smooth I can deal with the weight and since they are not really for competition I don't do the Fed primer thing and need them to set off whatever primers I use.

After Carmoney posted I realized I may have been misleading listing the 625's having no problems with the MT's.

Neal in AZ

Thanks Flex, I was going to suggest a search as I have posted to one of the other threads.

I will say it again, the Magtech small rifle primers caused me nothing but headaches out of my Dawson built STI. Out of a single mag I could count on at least five failures to fire. The primers showed a good clean hit but no bang. I would run the rounds through again and bang every time on the second go round. Needless to say I returned them and after talking with the stores head reloading guy (a shooting buddy of mine) he agreed the primers were poorly designed for what I had told the sales person I needed them for. Thankfully I had only loaded 100 of the buggers. Needless to say that was some of the crappiest practice ammo ever. lol Lesson learned.

Joe W.

Can't say nothing about primers, but in our region a lot of people are using Magtech rounds in various calibers. Feedbacks are very positive, no problems caused by the ammo. I perrsonnaly have shoot about 30000 rounds in 9X19 and can say it is very quality ammo, so I think primers are good. By the way, I saw that Jerry Miculec is using their products.