Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best revolver for IDPA SSR

All, I am considering several revolvers for use in IDPA competition. All are used at a local shop. One is a S&W M10, there is a Colt police special and a S&W M28 highway patrolman. All are in good shape, the Colt has a very good, smooth trigger pull, the S&W's are good also, but the Colt impressed me. Are the S&W N frames good for this sort of competiton? I have heard that the N frames are a little slower in use. I used to have a M10 and liked it. What are the pros and cons of each?

I have always liked Dodge and Ford better than I liked Chevy. If I was building a racecar I would build a Chevy, hands down. There are more and cheaper parts, experts and accessories available for racing a Chevy. If you are going to race a revolver, race a Smith and Wesson.

The M10 would be ideal if it shoots POA/POI which might take a little load development...but that's half the fun. You could also look out for a S&W 686.

JMHO

Richard

PS: Just picked up one myself to start shooting revo again.

I have always liked Dodge and Ford better than I liked Chevy. If I was building a racecar I would build a Chevy, hands down. There are more and cheaper parts, experts and accessories available for racing a Chevy. If you are going to race a revolver, race a Smith and Wesson.

Great analogy and I would have Cupit & Johnson build it, if they were still around. Not that my 2¢ are worth much, but I would agree with the S&W sentiment. Availablity of parts (aftermarket & OEM), smiths, equipment and what other shooters are using pretty much gives a Smith a leading edge.

Great analogy and I would have Cupit & Johnson build it, if they were still around. Not that my 2¢ are worth much, but I would agree with the S&W sentiment. Availablity of parts (aftermarket & OEM), smiths, equipment and what other shooters are using pretty much gives a Smith a leading edge.

What about Keith Black or Fenn&Warwick, or even Ed Pink

I'd go with the M10 too. The fact that I have three of them has nothing to do with it. ;) Actually, if the Colt is an Official Police, it'd be a good choice as well, but be aware that a trigger job for the Colt costs 2-3 times what it does for a S&W, and parts aren't made for the Colt anymore, though there are still a good bit on the used market.

The M28 is a sweet gun - I've got one, plus a M27 - but the heavy cylinder makes it more difficult to shoot at speed. It's also really close to the SSR weight limit, and the only speedloaders available are the HKS, which are tough and reliable but relatively slow. Holsters are more difficult to find for N frames as well, though I've got a couple.

All, I am considering several revolvers for use in IDPA competition. All are used at a local shop. One is a S&W M10, there is a Colt police special and a S&W M28 highway patrolman. All are in good shape, the Colt has a very good, smooth trigger pull, the S&W's are good also, but the Colt impressed me. Are the S&W N frames good for this sort of competiton? I have heard that the N frames are a little slower in use. I used to have a M10 and liked it. What are the pros and cons of each?

The S&W DA triger can be tuned more easily than the Colt. The Colt's are great for SA shooting. Of the guns you mentioned the S&W Model 10 would be prefered but you might want to hold out for a S&W K-38 with 4 inch barrel or a Model 586 or 686 with 4 inch barrel. Personally I prfer the DA triggers on the K-frame S&W's.

I've tried to love the K frame but it's just too small for me. I've gotten good results with my 4" 686 (L frame) shooting SSR. I can reload it a lot faster.

+1 The k frame is not as easy to reload as the L frame. On the L frame the cylinder swings farther away from the gun so you can get the speedloader in straighter.

I like the 586/686.

Even though I'm a raving, even obnoxious Colt brand-fan, when the buzzer goes off at an IDPA match, I reach for a 586.

The best speedloaders, the best nose-heavy, recoil-eating, fast-shooting balance, and plenty of them around at decent prices, esy to tune up and maintain, on and on...

If the Colt you mention is a later-model, shrouded-barrel Police Positive Special, that's a good choice especially for smaller hands. It uses K-frame Comp III speedloaders and goes pretty fast all by itself, too.

I would hazard the Model 10 is fine, too, if slower on the double-tap than an X86 due to being so light in the nose. I'd also guess it's absolutely the cheapest way to go either IDPA, revolver, or both, shooting.

I would hazard the Model 10 is fine, too, if slower on the double-tap than an X86 due to being so light in the nose.

This is one of those "YMMV" things. I prefer a M10HB to an L frame (I've got a sweet 681-2) because, while the L frame is better for double taps, the K frame is better for transitions.

That said, I need to dig out the 681. It's been too long since I've shot it. :)

I would hazard the Model 10 is fine, too, if slower on the double-tap than an X86 due to being so light in the nose.

This is one of those "YMMV" things. I prefer a M10HB to an L frame (I've got a sweet 681-2) because, while the L frame is better for double taps, the K frame is better for transitions.

That said, I need to dig out the 681. It's been too long since I've shot it. :)

+1. L frames just haven't ever felt right to me, and K frames have always felt perfect.

Most of my shooting is SSP do shoot couple of revolvers for fun though. My M 28 with a Tyler T grip leather holster using HKS Speedloaders is pretty retro. But works just fine. It is too heavy for the class though, our club revolver matches we never worry about weight. If serious and plan big matches that will check equipment it's not the right outfit.

Boats

I don't know, Boats- the official weight of the Highway Patrolman is quoted in some places as being 41 ounces, legal for SSR.

Tell you the truth, not many IDPAers would even know the difference between a New Service and a Military & Police.

As for whether the Model 10 could be as fast as an X86- I actually tried it, with a timer and checking scoring, with two different types of otherwise equal guns: A Colt Police Positive Special versus a Diamondback, and a .357 Magnum model versus a Python, both non-lugged guns against full-underlug guns.

For fast work, especially the "cardboard" sports where double-taps are mandatory, the underlug guns win, by a lot.

Try it yourself- set up a Vice Prez and you'll see.

Agree the weight quotes for 28's are inconsistent. I weighed mine on an old postage scale which may or may not be accurate it's about 3 oz over. No problem as we shoot a Quasi-IDPA-ICORE revolver only match at our club and nobody cares.

I have a couple of K's too but weight is your friend double action and they are pretty light. It's a toss up fast re-loads or fast 2nd shots. Ideal is a 686 no doubt.

Boats

My Highway Patrolman was my second gun waaaay back in the old days and I still have a nice feeling for it, even though I've since gotten "better" guns. The N frame can't match the L for speed, but indeed, weight is your friend.

I'll decline to go to my Post Office to use their scale to weigh mine, though. Hoping you'll understand.

I sort of accidentally bought two of the obsolete Safariland Comp Is for the gun and still hoard them. I plan on shooting the big 28 someday in IDPA (two's just enough, with some of those skitzy HKSs in reserve) but haven't got around to it: like I said, when I get on the range with buzzers in the air, the 586 gives me the best scores of any sixgun I have.

One more note on the HKS speedloaders: I have had an awful time with them, finding many a round of fresh ammo laying in the grass or belt carrier when I really needed it in the chambers. But, there's a guy named John Blackwell running around in northern Indiana on the USPSA circuit who makes Master with a 686, shooting minor. He uses nothing but HKS speedloaders and I'll never, ever catch him. So, it's possible, if you practice hard for a few decades.

Funny how those full-length underlugs look less than graceful to the eye when they're on a Smith, but on a Python it hits everybody's happy bone.

Almost everybody's.

CRiver If I was serious about revolvers would probably look for another outfit but like the old Smiths. SSP class regular IDPA go state of the art and the club follows the rules to the letter. It's just we were not getting many revolver shooters so set up a rev only match with rules that are not so strict equipment wise. Always avoided the Colt revolvers, don't need any new addictions and get my Colt fix with a couple of Goverment models.

Am shooting a M 10-2 inch round butt in our club BUG match tomorrow. For grins soon will shoot a Victory model with a Tyler T grip lanyard ring and all. Asked a guy at our match last week about his High tec speedloaders. 25 bucks each !!! With me all set up HKS 4 or 5 of each for 10's J's 38 cal N's and 45 LC N's it's not in the cards. The HKS loaders rarely miss a beat it's just a slow one.

Boats

P/S agree on visiting the post office not a good idea. It's a old scale a sits in my shop. Real useful for figuring out how much of some loading component you have on hand.

Edited by Boats