Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom XDM WOW may be now for limited?

1911vm

I played with one that Rich brought up for a few minutes at the WIIT a couple weeks ago. VERY nice, it surprised me. For me and my small hands, I would have him move the magwell up higher on the grip to lock my hand in the way the ICE does on my 2011 but that was the only thing I saw that I would change. His trigger work is REALLY good on these, better than the regular XD if you can believe that. Very cool gun.

Huh! That looks neat.

Would just adding a mag well and the mag base pads make it the "poor man's Limited gun"?

I'd add a trigger job to the mix too. I've got an XDM 40 that I plan on doing just that in the near future. From what little I've played with it, the trigger pull itself is OK, but the reset is realllllllll long. A bit lighter pull, and shorter reset and I think you've got a real contender there. ;)

• 1 month later...

Not really a "poor" man's Limited gun, but it's certainly a "middle class" man's Limited gun. I bet XDM mags with Rich's bases area helluva lot cheaper than S_I mags too, especially with tuning, different springs and followers, etc.

Not really a "poor" man's Limited gun, but it's certainly a "middle class" man's Limited gun. I bet XDM mags with Rich's bases area helluva lot cheaper than S_I mags too, especially with tuning, different springs and followers, etc.

Can you explain about this S_I mag tuning that is mentioned here and there on this site....

Do you change out springs, or modify the mag lips?

A few more.

Hey, I have that gun! :)...

Rich did an awesome job and it shoots great. Just working up a load for it now. I've found that the OAL for max chamber size won't fit the magazine, so max magazine length OAL is 1.148. At that length, grouping is still good, it leave a little more than standard OAL and I'm working with N320 to find the major pf load... Still got to find a Chrono, but one thing for sure, 4.0gr at 1.125 was awesome! (probably not major tho :)).

Magazines are easily 21 reloadable (make sure you don't have any glocked cases), with 20 a very simple fall back. This make 21+1 absolutely no problem. Stock magazines with Rich's basepads and grams spring/follower (note, he's about to release an XDM specific version, for now you use the 9mm/11 turn grams version and make one little modification)

Now I need to get motivated to send my other XDM to Rich and get him to work his magic on it for production! :)

Alan

Any idea where I can get the parts to do this?

Ya notice a couple of things from that picture..... You can't get the parts to make that gun.

a) they don't make a tactical (5" barrel) in the XDm yet.

Alan

Looks like a slide from a regular XD with an XDM frame. If you look at the slide markings, it just says XD9 and Tactical, but it's been machined to an XDM slide profile.

Ya notice a couple of things from that picture..... You can't get the parts to make that gun.

Alan

Looks like a slide from a regular XD with an XDM frame. If you look at the slide markings, it just says XD9 and Tactical, but it's been machined to an XDM slide profile.

Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it looks like it has an M (superscripted) right above the XD... Course, you could correct... Anyone know if an XD slide will fit an XDM? I didn't think there were the same , but not 100% sure....

Alan

There is an M on that slide.

Alan

Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it looks like it has an M (superscripted) right above the XD... Course, you could correct... Anyone know if an XD slide will fit an XDM? I didn't think there were the same , but not 100% sure....

Alan

Nope no such thing as a XDM with "Tactical" on the slide.

The gun in question is the 9mm with the dot.

There is an M on that slide.

Yes, we know there is no such thing. This gun was at the Springfield Armory Custom shop booth at the Shot show this year.

It is not an XD tactical slide btw, I did some checking the XD tactical slide doesn't look anything like an XDM slide and it can't be modified to look that way either, the profile is *way* different.

So it looks like SA had/has some 5" XDM Tactical slides that they use inhouse. Also, I believe the safeties are different enough that an XD slide wouldn't work on an XDM frame.

However, that is an "M" on the slide, it's a 9mm Major for Open class, on a 5" (maybe 5.5") barrel (not counting comp). I don't know of any 170mm magazines tho, but in a 140, you'd have approx 24-25 reloadable (you can get 21 in a 40 mag with Rich's extension just fine, and so I'm guessing a bit on the 9mm as I have no knowledge.

Either way, a very cool gun for the XD nuts around (count me in).

Alan