Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i don't know the divisions with glock

yuthh

A stock glock is SSP, If you put a magwell on it you go into ESP

There's all sorts of stuff that you can do that will bump the gun to ESP, magwell funnels among them. A stock Glock 34 can be used in SSP or ESP.

The short answer is:

You may shoot a stock Glock 34 in either SSP or ESP.

Certain modifications (you will find the specific list in the rule book) force it into ESP and remove it from SSP.

Clear?

Craig

SSP is for stock guns with minor mods like internal trigger work. ESP is for more in depth mods like magwells and steel guide rods. SSP Glocks can also be used in ESP.

Unless of course you own an XD and then even bone stock its in the ESP because of the SA trigger :) GRRRRRRR

Not true.

A Glock is at about half cock when at rest, the trigger draws the striker back the rest of the way and drops it.

An XD is at full cock when loaded, pulling the trigger just tips the sear out of striker engagement.

Of course a S&W Plastic M&P is, too, but they managed their publicity to get it considered as equivalent to a double action by IDPA and a lot of government agency procurment offices.

Thanks Jim. After posting I did some research. Sure enough, the XD apparently is "almost" fully cocked unlike the Glocks. As you mentioned, S&W cleverly used different wording on the promotional materials to have the M&P's considered DA. I shoot IDPA and USPSA just for fun so I don't worry what class I'm shooting. Seems silly that a Glock with a 2lb trigger can shoot SSP when a XD with a stock 5-6lb trigger can't.

• 2 weeks later...

Vanek is advertising his "Classic" trigger to be IDPA SSP. How so with this in the rule book?

IDPA Official Rule Book

page 20:

Permitted Modifications (SSP, inclusive):

"4. Internal Action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained."

page 22:

Permitted Modifications (ESP, inclusive):

"12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop)."

IDPA Member and Safety Officer, #A27341

Vanek is advertising his "Classic" trigger to be IDPA SSP. How so with this in the rule book?

IDPA Official Rule Book

page 20:

Permitted Modifications (SSP, inclusive):

"4. Internal Action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained."

page 22:

Permitted Modifications (ESP, inclusive):

"12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop)."

IDPA Member and Safety Officer, #A27341

Anybody?

His triggers maintain all safeties. Not sure what the concern is. He uses Glock parts and modifies them so you don't have to send the entire gun to him.

Edited by lugnut

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting distinction Jeff. I can't say how many times I've read the rulebook and never caught the difference in verbiage between SSP's "work" and ESP's "parts".

Hence the distinction. SSP = stock gun stock parts. They can be enhanced "worked" on but they can't be aftermarket non-stotck. Vanek uses stock parts. A non stock ghost connector or other wouldn't qualify for SSP but a stock 3.5 Glock connector does. ESP can use anything stock or otherwise to enhance pull.