Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Data base for stage designs

Hello B.E. community,

I pose the question, why doesn't this site have a data base for stage designs? Free to use by all or just members? I don't know all the technical details that would in tail, I am just curious. It would be a powerful resource for local match directors and a creative outlet for stage designers. I know that they exist on the internet other places. Just wondering.

My thought was to give short, medium, and field courses of fire. Also different types of range like indoor, berm only, small bay, large bay, possibly 360 shoot house, or all that apply. Classifiers, drills, or league shooting. Beginning to experienced or D to grand master challenge levels. ways for people to search and find what they are looking for considering their match, facilities, and shooters. Possibly a way to search by props used so you could look to use the underutilized drop turner, table, or Texas star. A link to this form to read critiques and suggestions, if offered, before downloading would also be helpful.

A tools section for people with props and outlines to share and others to download and use would also be useful.

-p2000lefty

Edited by p2000lefty

There are forums here dedicated to stage design, and they get very little traffic. Adding more forums that won't get used does not make sense.

If you have stages you would like to post, there is nothing stopping you.

I think it would do well here.... I have been shooting a while now and this thread is the first time I have ever seen the forum Josey linked... I am sure this site gets MUCH more traffic by "our kind" of shooters than any other site - anywhere....

:)

I think it would do well here.... I have been shooting a while now and this thread is the first time I have ever seen the forum Josey linked... I am sure this site gets MUCH more traffic by "our kind" of shooters than any other site - anywhere....

:)

Merlin,

You missed this resource??? I have been using some of the templates and graphics for years. I did a search to see how far back it goes and it was 2002! ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=40276 ) Funny thing that stageexchange is the only surviving link in the original thread!

Later,

Chuck

Thank you for your replies.

Is StageExchange the way to go? Why reinvent the wheel theory. I think that I have some new ideas in my first posting here that may make this a better site for stage creation and sharing. I have nothing against StageExchange. I was mostly unaware of them. This is the site that I visit most often and the community that I support most. They do not have a forum and I thought that that connection was the most powerful tool this community could offer. We could also search by designer or some other key word.

Thank you again and keep the debate alive, share your opinion.

-p2000lefty

I honestly don't think most people care about stage design. The only people that do are the people put into a position to either find a stage or design a stage for a match. Some people just don't care to design stages. I was one of them until this year. I was "elected" to a local club board, and I now have to come up with stage designs. Gives me a whole new perspective of the sport.

• 3 weeks later...

Zerwas,

I think that you are right about people not caring until they have to do it for a match. It is a lot tougher than it looks. I would encourage every shooter with a years experience to try to design a stage and let this forum dissect and critique it. Then present it to your next match director and see if you have the area and materials to create it for a match.

Though, I have not heard anything from the forum administrators, I still think this is a good idea.

See you at the Minnesota sectional and at Holmen if you venture over to Wisconsin.

-p2000lefty

Our club rotates the duty of stage design monthly between 6 or so of the more experienced shooters. I was elected for the month of Feb. to design my first stages. I've only been shooting for 2-3 yrs.

I have a whole new appreciation for the guys that do this on a regular basis. For two weeks after work, I had no home life. I had to read and re-read the rule book on stage design. My goals were to;

Keep it safe

Keep it simple...as possible

Keep it fun

Keep it interesting

Test the shooters ability, not agility

Try new stuff

I came up with 4 stages and showed them to one of the more experienced guys to critique. He offered a few suggestions and I made a few changes and we used them at our match. I think I did just ok for my first time. Most everyone liked them (or just being nice), one didn't like them and it was obvious but thats ok, I did my best.

Two things I learned as a new stage designer;

It's more rewarding to design your own stage as opposed to just pulling one off the internet.

Listen to the guys that do this all the time. They know what they're talking about.

So I figure with the rotation it will be about six months before I have to do that again. Maybe that's enough time to come up with some more stages.

Edited by DonT

Ben,

You did an awesome job designing for Holmen last year.

DonT,

I would like to see you post your designs and let the forum help you. There is more experience here than any other place I have found. If you need tools for stage design PM me and I can send some to you.

-p2000lefty

Our club rotates the duty of stage design monthly between 6 or so of the more experienced shooters. I was elected for the month of Feb. to design my first stages. I've only been shooting for 2-3 yrs.

I have a whole new appreciation for the guys that do this on a regular basis. For two weeks after work, I had no home life. I had to read and re-read the rule book on stage design. My goals were to;

Keep it safe

Keep it simple...as possible

Keep it fun

Keep it interesting

Test the shooters ability, not agility

Try new stuff

I came up with 4 stages and showed them to one of the more experienced guys to critique. He offered a few suggestions and I made a few changes and we used them at our match. I think I did just ok for my first time. Most everyone liked them (or just being nice), one didn't like them and it was obvious but thats ok, I did my best.

Two things I learned as a new stage designer;

It's more rewarding to design your own stage as opposed to just pulling one off the internet.

Listen to the guys that do this all the time. They know what they're talking about

So I figure with the rotation it will be about six months before I have to do that again. Maybe that's enough time to come up with some more stages.

As far as I'm concerned, you did a great job, Don. It's always good to see other people's ideas, cuz I tend to get stuck doing certain things the same way in my designs.

(And as a tip to make future designing easier...when you save the file, label it with how many targets and what kind they are...like 4IPSC, 5Steel, that way you don't have to rework the scoresheet side of the page every time. Just pull a stage that has the same numbers and plug in the new design.)

If I started to put designs here on the forum, I'd be doing nothing else. And I'd first have to transfer all the ones that got hand-drawn with the old USPSA template to Word files.

Be interesting to get feedback on how MD's/RO's/Shooters felt about them if they used them at their clubs.

Ben,

You did an awesome job designing for Holmen last year.

DonT,

I would like to see you post your designs and let the forum help you. There is more experience here than any other place I have found. If you need tools for stage design PM me and I can send some to you.

-p2000lefty

Ok, I didn't want to cut in on your thread but here are my first 4 stages :unsure: . Let me have it....I want to learn how to do this the right way.

Stages 3 and 4 we just added onto existing stages 1 and 2.

Stage_1.DOC

Stage_2.DOC

Stage_3.DOC

Stage_4.DOC

Wow DonT,

Those are excellent designs! This is why I wish we had a stage design database that we could share these. May I use your designs? You have also inspired me to try some different things.

-p2000lefty

Wow, thanks. Yes you may, I'm honored.

I'm with the original poster. There should be a forum of stage designs. It should have a place to put them like a big catalog, listing short, medium, long and any other pertinent info. Then it should have a place to gab and talk about what's in the catalog. I could pick a stage, set it up and shoot it and then go to the forum and say, " Hey guys, #326 Backwards Shuffle was a blast at the last local match. Anyone else shoot it."

I don't know diddly about how to go about it, or what it would entail, I do think that it would be an asset to an already great forum. As it is now, stages show up everywhere. Like the 4 good ones above, and a couple of months from now they're here,....but you'll have to know where to look. We could do away with that problem.

fourtrax,

Wouldn't it be nice! A organized and searchable database. Search by props, course of fire, name, author/designer, type of range facilities, round count, etc... First you could look at the comments and results from others who have used it or any other search you wanted. I have a computer friend who is looking into it and he thinks that it could be done quite easily.

Thank you for supporting this idea and keeping this thread alive.

-p2000lefty

fourtrax,

Wouldn't it be nice! A organized and searchable database. Search by props, course of fire, name, author/designer, type of range facilities, round count, etc... First you could look at the comments and results from others who have used it or any other search you wanted. I have a computer friend who is looking into it and he thinks that it could be done quite easily.

Thank you for supporting this idea and keeping this thread alive.

-p2000lefty

Put it on a CD, you might even be able to sell it in the Dealer's Forum.

Well I was thinking that if it isn't do-able here, you could compile it on a CD and sell it for cost if not profit. As far as a thread for stages, you've pretty much started one here...enough discussion about doing it, let's do it!

The one thing that I do with my designs is that I design around a 10 round mag limit, rather than the 8 shot from any one location rule. I'm trying to be better at following that particular rule but it does make it harder to set arrays so that shooters have a choice of "running dry" or doing an extra reload.

Here's a few of mine:

Skillz_I.DOC

Skillz_II.DOC

Around_and_Back.DOC

The_Smiley__s_Will_Get_You.DOC

The_Unit.doc

gino_aki,

With the chance of sounding redundant... I am inspired by your stages! Thank you for sharing them. I feel bad that they are so deep in this thread that people may miss them. You have a definite talent that should be shared. Consider posting them in a new thread?

DonT you should also consider posting your stages in a new thread. I'm sure that many people missed them here.

Thanks,

-p2000lefty