Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo-1000 data...

D. Manley

I ran some loads over the chrono last week and was able to get to a 126 power factor with 3.6g solo@ 1.120 w/ 124g bayou, 3.8g solo @ 1.120 w/ 124g bayou got 129PF and 3.8 solo @ 1.120 w/ 125g BBI got 131 PF.

Was 56 degrees and raining that day.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran some loads over the chrono last week and was able to get to a 126 power factor with 3.6g solo@ 1.120 w/ 124g bayou, 3.8g solo @ 1.120 w/ 124g bayou got 129PF and 3.8 solo @ 1.120 w/ 125g BBI got 131 PF.

Was 56 degrees and raining that day.

Did you also test how well that load groups? Even though I got some great results with Solo 1000 and 147gr bullets, I was never able to get good groups with 124gr projectiles.

Don't have the lot numbers for 3 different 8 lb keg of Solo 1000. But I've used from 3.7 to 4.1 grains depending on lot to obtain 132 - 134 PF. 135 gr Bayou bullet, 1.135". I chrono for each new opened bottle and adjust the charge weight accordingly. Vit may cost more but IMO way more consistant from lot to lot.

On my newest 8lb jug, I tested 3.9gr with a 130gr MG bullet @ 1.130 it was sub 120 PF out of my CZ75 SP-01 and M&P 9 Pro. The previous jug that same load and guns was a 131 PF

Do they still make this powder? Can't find any... =/

Yes, right now demand has exceeded supply. Got a 8 lb jug from PV in May 2013 that I ordered in February 2013 along with some other componets.

You guys realize this data is useless without the exact bullet and oal in addition to the powder charge, right?

Uhhm, yeah, sure, OK. Don't forget barrel length, type of barrel, ambient temperature, chronograph type and distance, number of rds fired, std deviation, extreme spread and atmospheric pressure...

And it still is no guarantee.

You guys realize this data is useless without the exact bullet and oal in addition to the powder charge, right?

Uhhm, yeah, sure, OK. Don't forget barrel length, type of barrel, ambient temperature, chronograph type and distance, number of rds fired, std deviation, extreme spread and atmospheric pressure...

And it still is no guarantee.

No. That data would be helpful, but it's not critical. Any powder charge without oal and bullet are useless. What you posted is nice to have, but not "need to have."

so my stuff, 3.8-3.9 fits in standard mags. so its.... I was shooting 3.5 with the old lot and the new lot went to 3.8-9. Humidity is 34.4, specific gravity of 5, acidity of 4.7, negative 15 protons and all 89% brass. Elevation is 1245, MSL. Sunny with 15% waxing moon. My M&P was made on a monday so adjust for monday offset vs. thursday by 12%.

so my stuff, 3.8-3.9 fits in standard mags. so its.... I was shooting 3.5 with the old lot and the new lot went to 3.8-9. Humidity is 34.4, specific gravity of 5, acidity of 4.7, negative 15 protons and all 89% brass. Elevation is 1245, MSL. Sunny with 15% waxing moon. My M&P was made on a monday so adjust for monday offset vs. thursday by 12%.

Yeah, but are you lefty or righty?

True about that but what we really need is;

1) The color of your house?

2) Did you watch American Idol the night before ?

3) Was it after midnight in Zimbabwe ?

4) How many fingers am I holding up ?

5 And perhaps the most important even more so than OAL is what was the linear homogeneous equation with a constant coefficient ??? If more than 6 you must not pass go ,do not collect $200

Just poking fun :)

Edited by Scootertheshooter

• 6 months later...

I must have a REALLY slow lot of Solo 1000. Been running it in 45, 230 gr Bear Creek.

4.4 gets me a 172 PF and super soft.

Decided to try it with 9mm. Montana Gold 147 FMJ, 1.135 OAL. I'm at 4.0 and JUST

getting 125 PF. Guess I'll go to 4.2 and see what I get. I generally load to a 132 PF.

4.0 seems to be way over what anybody else is running with a 147----

I must have a REALLY slow lot of Solo 1000. Been running it in 45, 230 gr Bear Creek.

4.4 gets me a 172 PF and super soft.

Decided to try it with 9mm. Montana Gold 147 FMJ, 1.135 OAL. I'm at 4.0 and JUST

getting 125 PF. Guess I'll go to 4.2 and see what I get. I generally load to a 132 PF.

4.0 seems to be way over what anybody else is running with a 147----

I just checked my log book. I had a batch that I had to go up to 3.9 gr at 1.140" OAL.to get avg PF 130, with moly Bear Creek. My usual dose is 3.4 to 3.6 for lead/moly/plated.

I think I went to 3.8 gr S1000 with some 147 gr Hornady FMJ to get ~132 PF..

That MG stuff has HARD jackets and it takes more juice to force them down the tube at a reasonable speed. I'm not surprised, if you have a slow batch.

Just to add some perspective....look at the max loads that Ram Shot gives for Competition. Their max load with a 147 grain bullet won't cycle my slide using a 13 LBS recoil spring. I would say some of their loading data is a little on the "Safe" side.

Open17,

Depending on the temperature when you chronoed, I would say you are in the ball park, just believe what you are seeing across the chrono. At the Wisconsin section this year I had the following:

XDm 5.25 9mm

147 gr zero fmj

4.43 gr Solo 1000 "Lot number 2227" (Average of 100 throws after the initial 20 after filling the powder hopper)

1.148 loaded overall length (average of 10 random measurements)

Federal standard small pistol primer (same results with CCI and Winchester for what it's worth)

temp 60 degrees or so

138 PF

The temp swings that people are reporting I am simply not seeing. I have chroned this load from 25 to 100 degrees and I have not seen a swing of more than 8 PF either direction. And in case you did not notice, I like to get a REAL GOOD average. Not the piddly 3 or 5 average. That is just me.

Just my .02.

Good luck,

Molson