Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead SWC in Plastic Gun?

sam sanfilippo

I use .45 Cal. lead SWC bullets in my 1911 because they are accurate and inexpensive. I would like to use the same bullets in a plastic, striker-fired gun, (possibly an XD or M&P) but I don't know if they will feed. Has anyone ever tried it? I realize that I can not use lead bullets in a gun with polygonal rifling. I haven't bought the gun yet, so I am not committed to any particular make and model.

I use lead in my M&P 9mm. Like you use lead SWC's in my 1911's. I can't see any reason a M&P 45 won't feed lead bullets. Might want to start with some RN first. Lots of them for sale intended for Cowboy action shooting. Although correctly seated H&G # 68 SWC's are good feeders.

Did find in my M&P had to switch out the guide rod for a no-captured rod and tweak the mainspring some. Try Speed Shooters for the rod and springs.

Boats

No need to switch or change anything. It's a bullet. See if the bullet shape feeds in your gun. Shoot gun. Clean gun occasionally, just like usual.

Also, there are lots of different hardnesses with lead bullets. Stay aware of leading in the barrel. If shooting lead with Glock go and use the "Search" function to get lots of opinions.

My Springfield XD 45 will NOT feed 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters. I have tried different overall lengths, and they will not feed consistently.

I have talked to others that have had the same problem - love the gun, but that's frustrating. I can't tell you that I have exhausted all the length possibilities, or that there might not be another problem, but that is my experience.

Most pepole in your position swap barrels. Put in something that will shoot lead.

Kendall

+1 -lone wolf, KKM or Jarvis is good.

No need to change barrels in the two guns mentioned by the poster (XD or M&P). The XD does not like the SWC at all. The M&P seems to run them just fine. Both are good guns and shoot lead just fine.

Hope that helps.

I have shot 200 grain SWCs through my xd in competition with no ftf.

Most pepole in your position swap barrels. Put in something that will shoot lead.

Kendall

+1 -lone wolf, KKM or Jarvis is good.

No need to change barrels in the two guns mentioned by the poster (XD or M&P). The XD does not like the SWC at all. The M&P seems to run them just fine. Both are good guns and shoot lead just fine.

Hope that helps.