Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The State Of Auto Racing

outerlimits

The Dakar Rally didn't even go to Dakar this year.

I can understand why. It was canceled in 2008 due to supposed Al-Qaeda threats against the race itself.

The rally raid hasn't been from Paris to Dakar in years. IMHO, it is not the start and end point that makes the race, but the challenge it presents.

Stock car racing went to hell when the cars stopped having vin numbers.

I miss the days of David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, King Richard Petty, Bobby and Donnie Allison. Those were the days! :cheers:

Wood_71Merc.jpg

David Pearson / Wood Brothers crica 1971

1977D500Action-AC.jpg

Cale, Richard and David circa 1977. You can actually tell the cars are different makes.

ba-036.gif

Bobby Allison giving a young Dale Earnhardt a hard time!

Edited by BlackSabbath

260mph on the Mulsanne? What car/s did that? OMG!

almost two, actually. in 1988 roger douchy in a peugeot went 258. jean-lois schlesser in the mercedes-sauber C9 went 252.

then, this started happening...next thing you know, chicanes came in.

post-2786-1234052013_thumb.jpg

Edited by outerlimits

What ever happened to the GT2 class in American LeMans? Now all you see is the GT class which is ruled by the Porsches. Wasn't GT2 where the Corvette, the Mustang, and all fought it out?

And SCCA Showroom Stock racing? Where did it go? You know you have something crazy going on when a Volvo wagon is ruling a racing class!

Here we have the car I absolutely lusted for in my youth, middle age and probably till the day I die. Porsche 917 with Derek Bell at the wheel. They ran close to 250 back in the early 70s. I can't remember who the driver was but someone spun out going down Mulsanne at over 200. By some miracle he didn't hit a single thing. He drove the car back to the pits, got out and never raced again. Another great story was when Phil Hill was asked what was the scariest thing about Leman. He said it was running down the Mulsanne at 200+ mph and coming up on a MG doing maybe 100.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=13...48734&q=917

Here we have the car I absolutely lusted for in my youth, middle age and probably till the day I die. Porsche 917 with Derek Bell at the wheel. They ran close to 250 back in the early 70s. I can't remember who the driver was but someone spun out going down Mulsanne at over 200. By some miracle he didn't hit a single thing. He drove the car back to the pits, got out and never raced again. Another great story was when Phil Hill was asked what was the scariest thing about Leman. He said it was running down the Mulsanne at 200+ mph and coming up on a MG doing maybe 100.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=13...48734&q=917

Those were the days. You know why LeMans went to a rolling start versus the old start where the drivers ran across the road got in the car and started them and drove off. The Porsche 917 drivers were hopping in the car starting and not putting the safety belts on until the Mulsanne straight, they were drivving down the staright at 240+ and driving with their knees while hooking the belts on. :surprise: Thats when real men drove cars with passion and guts.

almost two, actually. in 1988 roger douchy in a peugeot went 258. jean-lois schlesser in the mercedes-sauber C9 went 252.

Good shot.

I thought the CLK-GTR and Porsche were LMP1 cars... They started flipping due to their body shape and the effect a slight hill had on them. If the front end got to be about an inch higher than the back - BAM insti-wing.

I thought the CLK-GTR and Porsche were LMP1 cars... They started flipping due to their body shape and the effect a slight hill had on them. If the front end got to be about an inch higher than the back - BAM insti-wing.

IIRC, the picture is of the MB CLK that flew during practice. Another CLK flew in the race (and landed in the woods, somehow right-side-up on its wheels). MB then withdrew all their cars and haven't been back.

yer absolutely right-that pic was from 1999, long after the chicanes. here's the video of the other clk during the race-frightening.

Unfortunately due to costs, P1 and GT 1 in the ALMS series are pretty much 1 horse shows. Audi (P1) and Corvette (GT1) have dominated for so long and spent so much money, there are no cars in their class. Some teams have put up valient efforts, but unless Audi and Corvette pack up and leave, they will remain a lapping session for those teams. The P2 and GT2 classes are where the action is. In fact it has gotten to the point where Corvette is only running GT1 for the first half of the year to qualify for LeMans, then they are supposed to run in GT2 as they will actually have cars to compete against.

I worked on cars at LeMans in '94'96 and 2000. They had some strange aero rules in 1999 which may have been part on the problem.Everyone was complaining about following the Toyota's ... both Mercedes crashes were behind Toyota's.

There is also a monument to the Wright brothers not to far from the cafe on the Mulsanne straight.

Tom