Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Clays

goneracin

I have been educating myself on reloading, and with the help of a friend locally, I am getting up and running. My question is I read a lot of posts about Clays powder. Trouble is, there are 3 of them, and Im unsure which people are referring to. I am getting together an order to get a good group of powders to experiment with in my sig p226 9mm. I have

AA#2

im looking at getting

Win 231/hp-38 hodgdon

solo 1000

WST or WSF

Clays

anything else I should be looking at? Benefits or cons of these for 115g fmj. I just need power enough to knock down steels, we dont have any pf stuff that Im aware of.

thanks in advance

Bob

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the forums! What manuals you are you using? The new Speer and Sierra editions are outstanding. No question the best $$ you can spend early on. Clays and Universal Clays from Hodgdon are the two used regularly for pistol calibers. Clays is a faster powder than Universal.

Jim

I've always thought the whole "Clays/Universal Clays" thing was confusing. Hodgdon definitely could have done a better job with the naming in this instance. Shooters typically refer to Universal Clays simply as "Universal" to avoid confusion. Thus when you hear, or read, them mentioning "Clays", it's simply....Clays. :lol:

thanks for the info. BTW, I am refering to the abc's of reloading for general information, and the powder manufacturers info when i look for load data. I will pick up the speer or sierra manual with the powder order, thanks. Right now, I am only shooting the 9mm. I was assuming it was the "normal" clays but wanted to make sure.

Are there any other good recommendations for pet powders? I want it to be pretty consistent, and accurate. I understand Ill probably have to play around until I find what makes my gun happy.

Bob

Different people prefer different powders, for a variety of reasons. I'm partial to VihtaVuori N320 myself. It's very clean burning, gives consistent velocities, has smooth recoil characteristics, and meters superbly (i.e. throws very consistent powder charges). Drawbacks are cost and occasionally availability. I just stock up on it so I don't run out.

ok im trying

AA#2

hodgdon hp-38 (win 231)

Solo 1000

just as experiments. the solo may not make PF with a 115gr fmj, but I want to try it, and I dont think thats an issue for me anyway.

looking forward to this.

Titegroup is another popular powder for 9mm. Perhaps the most popular. Meters terrifically, available everywhere, very cheap, and nearly as soft as Clays. It's what I'm currently loading, and I just bought some Clays to compare.

ok im trying

AA#2

hodgdon hp-38 (win 231)

Solo 1000

just as experiments. the solo may not make PF with a 115gr fmj, but I want to try it, and I dont think thats an issue for me anyway.

looking forward to this.

I don't know why you would want to shoot 115's for a PF load. Besides that Solo works fine with 115's and lower power loads.

ok im trying

AA#2

hodgdon hp-38 (win 231)

Solo 1000

looking forward to this.

I don't know why you would want to shoot 115's for a PF load. Besides that Solo works fine with 115's and lower power loads.

im using the 115's because its what i have a few thousand of. I am going to try some 124 and some 147 too, just to see what makes everything happy. BTW it has no problem making what I need it to with 4.8 gr AA#2 and the 115's <_<

when the rest of my stuff gets here (powder, primers etc) ill get to experiment with the hp, and the solo.

thanks again for the help everyone.