Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ed Brown rear sight - any experience with 'em?

Bill Schwab

I picked up a used slide that came with an Ed Brown Bo-Mar lookin' rear sight, which kinda surprised me because I didn't even know EB made these. Anyways, does anyone have any mileage on one of these? I don't want to build the Lim gun and regret the rear sight afterwards.

I have Bo-Mar and Wilson (Bo-Mar style) rears on all the other 1911's; and the only thing I've ever broken was a Wilson.

I have been running an EB for over a year now. It seems every bit as good as my original Bomar. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference. And, if I recall, it's made in the U.S. and not made of cheap import crap. It is not a cheap knock off. In my opinion, the EB is a quality product.

I've read that its still made by Kengs, but I called Ed Brown about it a month or two back and they swore the sight is american made.

I installed one a few months ago and found it to be much better quality than the Kengs (STI, etc..).

S>

• 1 year later...

Since my post almost two years ago, I have had two totally freeze up on me and one totally fall apart while I was shooting. I do not abuse my guns, just happened. In all fairness to them, I sent them back, and they rebuilt them quickly for free. They are good sight for the price.

I have gone to a new Tripp Research, and considerable more cost.

Mark K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Bill,

I'll pop the Tripp off my 5" if you want it. Its a brand new, latest generation. Only has sight in rounds on it. I can hand it to you at the open or ship to you tomorrow.

s.

Edited by Seth

Bill,

I'll pop the Tripp off my 5" if you want it. Its a brand new, latest generation. Only has sight in rounds on it. I can hand it to you at the open or ship to you tomorrow.

s.

I really appreciate the offer Seth, but my backup gun just got back from a tune-up, so she's ready to rock-n-roll. I'm gonna shoot the primary gun a time or two before I head south and then make the decision which one I'll end up shooting.

Bill,

s.

I really appreciate the offer Seth, but my backup gun just got back from a tune-up, so she's ready to rock-n-roll. I'm gonna shoot the primary gun a time or two before I head south and then make the decision which one I'll end up shooting.

ok. Brett and I both have 5" backups if something goes T.U.

:surprise:

Ive been using Ed Brown sights since they came out, Ive found that a lot of times the rear bo-mar cut is too tight a fit,

You should be able to warm your slide with a hair dryer and the sight should slip in with your thumb,if you have to

drive/drift your bo-mar type sigtht in place you may have problems with the pin coming out.When you drive the sight

in place it puts it in a bind, I also put a dimple in the slide to let the set screw of the sight go down into the slide a little

use freash blue lock tight and you should be good to go :D

Jim/Pa

Sailors's

• 8 months later...

I'll have to check the logbook, but I believe I'm at about 20k rounds and the elevation screw broke in half. This is the first Ed Brown part I have ever broken. Can I drift the rear sight out with the lower half of the elevation screw in place? Or do I have to somehow remove the whole elevation screw first?