Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry/Hot conditions lube

D__

Looking at shooting the Back to back in Vegas.

I hear its going to be very hot and dry.

Conventional oils not going to make it? Slide glide all the way or is using a dry graphite required?

Would like some responses from some competitors who have shot in the area please.

D

It's not quite as hot here as in Vegas, but it's at least as dry and dusty. Slide Glide and a gun cover make for a good combo. I keep the gun cover on until the last minute when I step up to shoot. It goes on immediately after I'm done. You're definitely going to have to clean your mags every time they hit the ground and I'd plan on taking them apart and cleaning them every night as well. I won't walk around with my mags loaded in the pouches either....they'll get dusty. Leave them in the bag until you're in the hole/on deck or ready to do your last walkthrough.

I have gotten away from the high dollar lubes and oils. I just make my own. I use 10W Mobile 1 and add or subtract plain old STP to make it thicker or thinner. It really sticks to the rails on my stainless Kimbers. What I like is it does not dribble out the back of the slide like FP-10.

A quart of Mobile 1 and pint of STP will last forever.

Joe,

Might sound like a dumb question but, never having used STP before, Does it make the Mobil One thicker or thinner ? I would like to thicken it up some.

Boats

Edited by Boats

It's not quite as hot here as in Vegas, but it's at least as dry and dusty. Slide Glide and a gun cover make for a good combo. I keep the gun cover on until the last minute when I step up to shoot. It goes on immediately after I'm done. You're definitely going to have to clean your mags every time they hit the ground and I'd plan on taking them apart and cleaning them every night as well. I won't walk around with my mags loaded in the pouches either....they'll get dusty. Leave them in the bag until you're in the hole/on deck or ready to do your last walkthrough.

This is good advice ^^^^.

After 3 years of shooting Area2 in Mesa AZ, in those conditions which are very similar to las vegas, I learned to just use a good synthetic oil. I like friction defense oil from Brownells. At a long match I clean my gun nightly and clean whichever mags hit the ground right away. I haven't found anything else is neccessary.

Yup, good quality synthetic oil is good in ALL conditions.

Edited by larry cazes

The STP makes it thicker. I run a 50/50 mix during the summer and back off to 75/25 when the weather turns cold. I was letting a friend shoot one of my Kimbers last summer and he wanted to know how I got the slide movement so smooth. STP is really slick stuff.

Sounds like good advice, it doesn't align with my normal routine, so perhaps I'll try this a couple matches before heading out that way. Thanks G-Man

I guess it depends on your gun. Down here in southern New Mexico I run a slide glide lite/slide glide mix in my STI Edge in the summer (Feb-Oct) never had a problem(Knock on wood); but I have never seen the temperature over 105F. If I ran open I would seriously think about a gun cover.