Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed toward selling/keeping old press in unused contition.

Well, I said "yes" prior to knowing the specifics--

Today I purchased an older 550B. The advertisement stated it was a "new, unused" press. I was looking to get another press to accompany my new-model 550B. I told the fellow over the telephone that I would buy it from him. When I arrived to pick it up, it was not the newer version of the 550B that I had assumed it to be--(I hadn't known there was an older version that differed slightly from the present model.) Since I had agreed to purchase it, and did not want to trouble him, I paid for it.

It is a beautiful press. I have yet to set it up, so I may not have noted all of the differences between the two models.

A concern I have is the availability of replacement parts for it--does Dillon still have the older powder thrower springs, etc? Also, will I run into any surprises attempting to interchange the tool heads/dies between presses? Will I have to adjust dies for the individual press? Other problems?

I'm wondering if it would be best to offer it to someone who would like to trade with me: my unused older model for a present model 550B?

Is this older press an valuable item since it is still "new"? (Original instruction manual and accessories.)

I have the "older" model 1050, and they have all the spares parts I have ever needed.

An older Dillon press is still a Dillon press. The quality is there, and there have been no great reloading breakthroughs in the last decade that would make that press anything less than you would need.

Use it and enjoy it.....

I had the old 550B and newer 550B at the same time, and it sounds like what you have. I could not interchange toolheads, there was a 30-40 thousandths difference in the presses. At the time it didn't matter at all, I was shooting enough large primer stuff that I set one up for large and one for small. Everything was great that way, plus I had 100% of the parts that could ever break on hand to fix the machine I wanted to use. I never had to move anything from one press to the other but it was nice knowing that if I wanted to reload I could no matter what.

As far as parts go, if Dillon doesn't have the part you need (very unlikely) they will add what ever it takes to convert to the new style. I wouldn't worry about parts at all.

EDIT: It wasn't that the tool heads didn't fit both machines, they did just fine as did all of the conversions and so on. The difference was related to the height of the press, if I had a die set up for 1.15 OAL it would be 30-40 thou different if I just slapped that toolhead in the other machine and started loading. The dies had to be adjusted to go from one machine to the other.

Edited by HSMITH

"The difference was related to the height of the press, if I had a die set up for 1.15 OAL it would be 30-40 thou different if I just slapped that toolhead in the other machine and started loading. The dies had to be adjusted to go from one machine to the other."

That was what I was wondering about. Bad news for me. I'd rather have two presses that I could work freely between.

Guess I'll have to figure out how to sell/trade this one for the current model.

Thank you all for your responses.

My 550 is from the 80"s and Dillion has always sent me the new parts and they have fit. The powder measure with the springs will last many thousands of rounds (over a 100K) before it will give you trouble and they (Dillon) change it out with the newer style.

I have a 650 for my Limited gun's ammo, but use the 550 for the 9mm, 9x23, and .45. The 550 is every bit as good as the 650, just slower.

Set that old press up and get to loading, it is a good press.

Before you trade it off call Dillon and see how tight they hold shell plate surface to toolhead groove dimension. It isn't a critical dimension in the operation of the press and there are a LOT of stack ups that contribute to where it ends up. Two brand new presses made sequentially may or may not be identical in this regard and I would want to know that before I went through the hassle of trying to get another press.

Do what Howard suggested, use one for all small primer calibers and the other for large primer calibers. Or you can load your main caliber on one machine and everything else on the other. That way you are always set up for the caliber you shoot all the time. I don't think that even if you bought two new machines they would be exactly alike. You would still have to make small adjustments. Get the new style op rod for the powder dispenser as Dillon said that the newer one will work with both style measurers.

A concern I have is the availability of replacement parts for it--does Dillon still have the older powder thrower springs, etc?

In a short answer "YES" they just sent me a couple of powder measure springs for my "OLDER" 550B.

I bought a 1050 in the 80s. I think it was in the 700s of production. Dillon has totally refurbished it to new and the 1050, being a 'commercial' machine does not have the the No BS Guarantee. It cost me $0.00. Don't worry about it. Dillon will take care of you.

I bought a 550 (probably what you have) in 1989, I talked to Dillon about a replacement primer bar after the 550B came out and they said, OMG, you still have the 550, you need the Powder Bar return linkage and we will send it to you along with the replacement primer bar for no charge.

Call em' and I am sure they will help you. Now that all my powder measures have the positive return linkage, I feel much better.

BTW, springs are not needed if you have the linkage AND it prevents squibs 7 ways from Sunday, LOL

In summary, Dillon customer service rocks the house!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The older press is now set up and working well in the reloading room!

I should have bought a strong mount for it, but had a wild idea that I would just build my own. After a day and a half, I have a mount that is an "artful" blend of plywood and angle-iron--turned out well, but I doubt Dillon will be asking me for the blueprints; their mount is a bit more advanced than mine. Rather like the new bobsleds compared to the cardboard box I piloted off a steep dirt mountain as a kid--both go fast down hill, hold the driver inside, but something is just a bit different in the breaking system.

I called Dillon about switching out the powder springs to the positive return mechanism. The fellow said there was no need to change the older one to the newer system. I'm concerned, what about those squib loads mentioned above by George?

Should I change the older mechanisms to the newer?

I have new and older version of the 550.

I have set one up for large primer and the other for small primer. That way all large or small primer required cartridges are always loaded on the same press. Less confusion for me.

I would update, as time and money allows, to the new double arm powder return system and then stick the old style springs on it in any event. I like that system, I think it works better. Try it and see what you think. Put the old springs onto new powder measure will have the effect that I desire with what you already own, it will clunk a little but you can live with it.

• 2 months later...

Chirpy,

I have an unconverted 450.

I started with a 300, if I remember the number correctly. I did not get that one early enough to get the brass colored arms, unfortunately, or I would still have it.

Fred

Edited by Pelallito

I have an old 550B and a newer one. I use one for large and one for small primers. My presses had the height differences

mentioned above too. I have 14 toolheads set up each with its own powder measure. All of them are the old kind with the

2 springs to return the powder bar. Every one has worked perfectly since I got them almost 15 years ago. I much prefer

this kind because to me, the vertical rod for the powder bar is in the way. I found the height difference in the presses was

due to the horizontal plate for the powder bar rod that was under the shellplate. I took that out and now they are both the

same height.

There are a lot of us who have no love for the newer powder measure( dont like the linkage and dont trust new fangled stuff) we like the springs.. Set that press up and load with it. Dillon will take care of it forever, just look at it like this, every time you break something on it(seldom) your press gets newer.-----------Larry

Glad you decided to keep it. The older presses actually work better in a couple respects. I also have two Dillon 550s. One I upgraded from a 450. It is my small primer machine. The other was purchased as a 550 and is set up for large primer cartridges. That is an excellent way to go, since changing the primer system involves more adjustment than just pulling a couple pins or unscrewing two screws.

As to the powder system, I prefer the older style system with a single black arm and spring return. I had some problems with the first newer type system (double brass-colored arms) I tried, and actually had the secondary arm lock back sometimes, resulting in no powder being dumped in that case, and a squib load. I cut the secondary (outer) arm off and have not had a problem since then. IMO, this is not a safety arm, but actually causes the problem it supposedly prevents. I am quite certain I am not the only person to have this problem. I have modified the two newer powder measures I have this same way, and traded a third for an old powder measure. I'm sure the person I traded it to thought I was nuts for wanting the used old powder measure, but I knew I got the better end of the bargain.

With the old powder system, make sure the wing nut on the rod is adjusted to create a bit of spring pressure as it completes the stroke, and have the long thin spring wrapped around the powder measure body and adjusting bolt tang as a safety. I'm not sure how people double charge with a 550, never having done it myself, but that seems to be the big risk remaining.