Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hats for the sun?

badchad

Any recommendations for a good hat (better than a ball cap) for keeping the sun off your face and neck for long practice sessions? I’m getting tired of applying sunscreen before I leave for the range, tired of forgetting to, and I imagine I won’t like skin cancer none to much either.

Points if it doesn’t look stupid, but I usually practice alone, so I guess that doesn’t matter too much.

Any recommendations for a good hat (better than a ball cap) for keeping the sun off your face and neck for long practice sessions? I’m getting tired of applying sunscreen before I leave for the range, tired of forgetting to, and I imagine I won’t like skin cancer none to much either.

Points if it doesn’t look stupid, but I usually practice alone, so I guess that doesn’t matter too much.

Pay attention to farmers and cowboys. There's a reason the straw hat and the cowboy hat have been around for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you would be the fashion statement of Rio with one of these.....

2e68e1f7-71fb-45bb-9e94-338c6bcc1d7.jpg

I like your choice for having something in back. With the sun behind us out at the range all day If I don't flip my ballcap around backwards like I am a 20 year old BMW driver in Scottsdale I end up frying my neck. I may have to look into something like this.

Boonie hats are great until you are running through a stage at full tilt and the wind pastes the brim down over your eyes!

If you do this at Norco during the Phillipine Independence Day Shootfest, you will get laughs from the gallery. :rolleyes:

You don't need to ask how I know.

I've got very fair skin so I wear large brimmed hats as much as possible out in the sun. I've got a big floppy hat that I bought at a biker rally (of all places). The brim is wider than a boonie. It's machine washable, which is nice. Probably looks stupid, but I don't care. I've had enough skin cut out of me at the dermatologist. I switch to a ball cap when it's my turn to shoot. I also wear pants (5-11 tac-lite in the summer) and long sleeve shirts virtually year-round except on those 100+ degree days. I tried hats with the flap on the back and didn't care for them myself. Annoying having it rubbing back there and I felt hotter wearing one. My next hat will be a Tilley.

Lets see...

Cowboy hats, Boonies, Tilley (Widest brim) various fishing hats, French Foreign Legion, Bandanna under your hat.

Al of the above all have one common problem...

.... You have to remember to wear them ALL DAY!

I know, I leave home with hats, many, varied and sundry, I promise to apply suntan lotion, I buy it many times during the year, my next gets burned anyway because.... I FORGOT.

Note to self, send note to the Mrs. Norman, 'Please Sweetheart, please insist I apply SPF to my neck and ears, arms and legs before leaving home. Thank you'.

Jim

I switch to a ball cap when it's my turn to shoot. ... My next hat will be a Tilley.

Switching hats when shooting to something practical for earmuffs is a great idea.

What is so special about Tilley (and which one)?

I was thinking of getting a golfers hat, one with ventilation, but I would still end up wearing my bandanna on my neck. I burn easily and my back looks like hell from years of getting burns when I was a kid. My dermatologist has fun every year or so rummaging around all the spots on my back looking for bad stuff.

Hello: Tilley is a Canadian who started making hats that he could use for sailing. Some have a floating insert so the hat floats so he could recover it when it blew overboard. His products used to be all made in Canada. I don't know if that is still true or not. I had a pair of his shorts and I out grew them. They still look like new and my wife actually wears them now with a belt. They are 20 years old or so :surprise: I actually did some work for them way back when, when I lived in the "Great White North". Bass Pro Shops carry his hats if you want to try some on. One thing to remember about some materials is that they will actually let the sun rays come through. Look at the SPF rating on your hat you intend to buy. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have two Tilley Hats. The 'New' one is about 17 years old, the 'old' one is about 25 years. Why you ask about buying a Tilley, The original made in Canada Tilley hat lasts. It was designed for saltwater sailing. Read that as staying in the sun all day every day and generally being wet with rain or salt water or both a lot of the time. They don't shrink, they stay put on your head. Sort of a high end Boonie Hat.

My only regret is in not having bought the wide brim model when I bought mine. My first was the small brim, essentially ok to wear, doesn't catch the wind and doesn't provide much shad, next was the medium, better, but the wide model would have been best.

They are made of natural canvas, off-white in color, the reflect the sun off your head, the underside of the newer one I have is a shade of dark green so it doesn't reflect the light back down into your eyes (Very important, especially to a saltwater sailor, Something about sunlight, salt cyrstals and your eyes that can cause permanent blindness I'd try to spell it, but...)

you will not go wrong with a Tilly, broke maybe as they are not cheap, but wrong, no.

Jim

What is so special about Tilley (and which one)?

I was thinking of getting a golfers hat, one with ventilation, but I would still end up wearing my bandanna on my neck. I burn easily and my back looks like hell from years of getting burns when I was a kid. My dermatologist has fun every year or so rummaging around all the spots on my back looking for bad stuff.

I wear ear plugs generally, so swapping hats isn't a big deal. A friend of mine was wearing a Tilley and I thought it was constructed better that what I have. Lifetime guarantee too. I'm not sure what model he had, but I'd look at something like the LTM6 Airflo. Wider is better. I've still gotten neck burns wearing hats like boonies that just don't stick out all that far. Machine washable is a must for me.

J-ho is the one you want to talk about when it comes to hats.

He proved himself at the 2008 Johnson 3-gun :D

post-15071-1233556554_thumb.jpg

Hey, This picture was used without my written consent! :P

Actually the hat works really well. Keeps the sun off, air actually is able to hit the top of your head. A modern take on a classic. Them little yella fellas knew what they were doin'. (Before any of you get all hot and bothered by the yella comment, please note my last name and my rice laden diet)

Plus the hat is a total chick magnet.