Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Drill

JFD

As a relatively high level "C" shooter, I really want to advance to "B" class. Weak hand shooting is an obvious weak point for me. Shot Lazyman Standards and it was just embarassing. I wasn't the only one embarassed, but I can't do anything for the rest of them.

Does anyone have a weak hand drill with a target goal for accuracy and speed? Whether it's tailored for "B" class or simply a case of "you don't suck if you can do this in 5 seconds with all "A" hits". My plan of just avoiding weak hand shooting isn't working so well, so yesterday I simply tried some untimed short range work just to get more comfortable with the weak hand.

Anything at all would be helpful.

JFD

I haven't done a search to see if there is a specific drill in the data base of this forum, similar to the one you seek; but I think you are getting too specific.

W/O getting into too much detail, you might consider keeping a shooting journal to detail what you practice, when, and the results. If the results aren't what you desire, then work on that aspect of your shooting till it is what you think it should be, then judge continued practice by how you do against ALL shooters, not just the C or B ones. You can't make GM by comparing your performance to the middle of the pack shooters.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but you might do a search and see if there is a specific drill relative to what you want to improve.

Weak hand shooting is not my specialty, but I improved a lot by focusing on accuracy. I started every shooting session with a 10 round group at 25 yards: freestyle, then weak hand only and lastly strong hand only. After awhile I was able to, and still can, shoot better groups weak hand only than strong hand!! This really improved my confidence.

I also tried to handle the gun with my weak hand as often as possible, little things like grabbing the gun out of the safe with my weak hand.

You also may want to try practicing those classifiers that emphasize weak hand shooting.

Hope this helps!

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire until you no longer get that weird feeling when using the weak hand only to hold the gun.

If you're like me who "seems" to have no eye dominance, check which eye is aiming and practice that sight pic. It gets really frustrating with your focus shifting between each eye after every shot. Canting the gun (for no-cross dominant) may help a bit.

HTH. Good luck.

All of the above sounds good to me (especially the dryfire).

Since you are loking for classifier performance, which usually includes a draw w/transfer to weak hand, I think I would try some 7 yard Bill Drills.

It would be interesting to hear some first shot times for weak hand (I don't recall that we have any guidelines here).

As simple as it is to set up, I can easily practice Lazyman Standards until such time as I no longer stink at it. This would have multiple benefits for strong hand, weak hand, and freestyle shooting. One would think I could have come up with that on my own <_<

7 yard Bill drills with the weak hand would also be interesting.

I've been setting up run&gun stages for the last 2 months and almost exclusively practicing those. The improvement in movement has helped quite a bit. Of course choking my guts up on the classifier killed any chance of moving into "B" class in the near future. I'm guessing that one gets thrown out.

I've been practicing weak hand dry firing quite a bit. The wierd feeling is mainly coming from recoil. I also appear to be a lot more accurate with dry fire than live fire...

Like a lot of crappy shooters, I've been avoiding what I'm not good at. Time to suck it up and do the work.

Thanks for the help.

It would be interesting to hear some first shot times for weak hand (I don't recall that we have any guidelines here).

A few months ago I did this using the dot drill at 5 yards (draw-transfer). It was an awful 2.8-3.3sec hit in the circle. Times could probably be better with the bigger a-zone at that distance.

Here's three drills:

Draw, fire 6, reload, fire six weak hand only.

Draw, transfer to weak hand, fire 6.

Draw, fire 6 strong hand only, reload, fire 6 weak hand only.

Draw, fire 6 SHO on the strong side of a barricade, reload, fire 6 WHO on the weak side of the barricade.

Oops, that was four. :)

Vary the targets that you shoot your six on, in distance, quantity and size.

Do I have to remind you to call every shot?

I always do well on sh/wh stages because NOBODY practices 'em.

Don't be a nobody... :)

SA

I do this in dry fire a bunch and at the range occasionally.

Three or four targets three yards apart back up till your comfy, and take another step for good measure. I practice with both hands at sides and above shoulders. Draw and engage each target with two rounds each, make a mandatory reload, and engage each target with two rounds each strong hand only, make a mandatory reload, engage each target with two rounds each weak hand only.

Well it's easy to go fast in practice, but I'm with Bill on the accuracy thing. Most weak hand shooting I've done has involved a transfer after a reload (I have shot one classifier, or something close, that required a draw and immediate transfer to the weak hand) on the weak hand stuff that’s where I make up some time. A smooth transfer and target acquisition are key, after that I just get my hits. Well I try to get my hits, man those Virginia count stages... <_<

Ditto on practicing a smooth transfer. It's key to doing well on classifier-type stages. It'll prevent an AD-ing or worse at some point when you're rushing, and it'll also set you in the correct mindset to shoot... instead of "oh crap, that transfer sucked, I'd better hose some shots now", your mind can remain calm so you can shoot some good shots.

I'm thread drifting a bit...

but do you guys already have tha spare mag in your hands (while still shooting SH) ready for the mag change? Which would probably mean that you draw the mag the same time you draw the gun?

I actually practice it this way but haven't timed myself yet compared to the regular "grab from pouch" IN the reload.

Thanks.

I've never fired weak hand where I needed a reload. The weak hand shooting I've seen is normally part of a string involving strong hand and freestyle where reloads are off the clock. I've practiced reloads just in case, but haven't had a need yet.

Steve Anderson makes a good point that's also addressed in "The Book" regarding the work other shooters often don't do prior to a match. I definitely don't want to be a NOBODY.

I've already designed a 3 string (weak, strong, freestyle) stage for my next match a week from now. Also going with American Standard for the classifier for the same reason. Both are not overly difficult, but we have to crawl before we can walk.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I'm going to go with American Standard (CM 99-4) as a good solid drill. It's easy to set up and covers 3 sets of skills. Beats out the drill I've been practicing for the last 2 weeks.

I shot both stages today (99-4 & my own very similar-but different stage) and didn't find weak hand shooting to be a problem. Stupid & sloppy shooting in the freestyle strings of both stages kept me from really doing well. Weak hand and strong hand were my strengths and allowed for much better scores than I would have gotten a month ago. Some hard practice goes a long way.

This is one of the reasons I bought a .22 conversion. I was always very unstable to the point of being really wobbly shooting weak hand. It looked like I had bad palsey shakes. I setup a standard target and draw an inch and a half circle on the target and shoot at it from 10 yards back. I do this until I feel comfortable then I'll go on with my practice routine.

Wes

• 7 months later...

I know I am kind of Late with this but I have just now found it.

My buddies and I shoot the plate rack with 8 inch plates.

Free style from left to right and then right to left. all seperate strings. Bianci plates, 10 yds 6 seconds, 15 yds 7 seconds, 20 yds 8 seconds, 25 yds 9 seconds, 30 yds 10 seconds, 35yds, 11 seconds, 40 yds 12 seconds, 45 yds 13 seconds.

a perfect score is 48, you shoot 1 shot per plate and do not make up shots.

while shooting this at each position we also shoot strong hand and weak hand with no set time, shoot for center of plate. you will be surprised how quick the strong hand and weak hand improve.

should go like this:

10 yds. draw and shoot 6 plates left to right in 6 seconds, draw and shoot plates right to left in 6 seconds. draw and shoot plates right to left strong handed, just hit them. draw transfer to weak hand and shoot 6 plates left to right, take your time, make sure you squeeze the trigger and don't JERK it with the left hand, That is the key to weak hand shooting CONTROL THAT FINGER.

after 10 yds go to 15, 20 ect. this will burn around 200 rounds so it is a good practice session all by itself. I don't recomend shooting it cold but don't shoot it after very much other shooting.

try bill drills to get warmed up then plates.

GOOD LUCK

Hopalong :)

My weak hand was really really bad. I am working on fundatmentals right now.

First half of the practice:

I practice with a .22 for about 300-400 rounds. My drill has three steel plates, shape like the "A" zone but a little bigger. I put at least 100 rounds on the plates each practice session weak hand.

(I also do 160 rounds of crossing drills, step shoot, step shoot.)

Second half of the practice:

Same drills as the first except with either my .45 or .40. Only I use a lower round count. Weak hand drill -- two shots, two shots, two shots. I started out at 15 and move to 20, just now going to 25 yards out.

All I can say is that it is paying off. I shot a classifier weak handed and the RO said I was very steady and deliberate. No missed targets--including one at 25 yards.

BTW I end the session with either a Bill type drill or shooting 20 rounds at 40-50 yards. Not strong hand yet but that is on the practice schedule.

Right at the moment I am a big proponent of using a .22. I has helped me work on timing and coordination with dealling with recoil. I start with the .22 but end with my major gun. A couple of times I have used my 9mm in between the .22 and major gun. Same drills, just a little more recoil.

So far my use of American Standard (CM 99-4) as a weak hand drill has been satisfactory. It came in kind of handy at my last match where I set up 99-49, Speed-E-Standards and shot it at 70.4450%. This moved me up slightly past 63% to B class.

Things are looking up this year.