Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory reloads blew up my rifle

gose

Should have known better than to shoot Miwalls in my nice JPs, but a bit late for that now.

Carrier split open and is stuck GOOD, the mag looks like a balloon and I need new underwear....

Good thing it was brand new so I didn't have time to get attached to it :(

And this is how a split AL carrier looks...

post-8221-1232402659_thumb.jpg

Edited by gose

Ouch...that sucks :surprise: Glad to hear you're okay though!

Stung my face a bit, but everything worked as designed, so I'm ok, albeit a bit shaken up. Good reminder to always wear glasses though...

I also wish I would have had something other than a $90 DPMS mag in there :(

Edited by gose

Oh man, so sorry to hear that but glad you're okay. Is that from the new upper you just got? I hope the rest of the rifle is fine though.

Yupp, so it might be a while until you get to shoot it ;)

What ammo were you using?

Miwall factory reloads, 55gr FMJs. The last handful out of a 500 box...

Edited by gose

I have a Bushmaster here that suffered the same fate, the owner wanted it fixed :surprise:

It split the carrier blew out the lower,upper and split the barrel extension broke the bolt latch, broke mag catch.

in other words...total annihilation :surprise:

It was caused by a bullet lodged just in front of the gas port...when the next round was fired, it compressed the air in the barrel into the gas port.

This caused a massive over pressure in the bolt carrier unlocking the bolt...and the case flat blew up.

Both upper and lower were swelled up big time, and ruined.

your CTR02 upper receiver may well have survived...it is much stronger than a standard forged part.

Have you got it all apart to see what is still ok?

Sorry you had such an event :( ...but glad you still have all your fingers toes and eyes.

Jim

Been there all too recently. I escaped with only replacing the bolt, extractor, cam pin, firing pin, and carrier...well...pretty much the entire bolt carrier group and a blown out Colt 30 rounder that I can now use for a size 12 shoe. HOT reload that a buddy of mine loaded up for me.

Our own Gentleman Jim gave me some sage advice via a rescue phone call, and everything is back to normal. Glad to hear you're ok, sorry about the rifle. :(

My Mini 14 did something like that though the only person I can blame is myself. Reloads using IMR 4895 that were just a tad hot for it.. oops.. Yep, was wearing glasses and it scared the heck outa me.. but now I know that a Mini is not supposed to fire 5.56 ammo.. oops.

My Mini 14 did something like that though the only person I can blame is myself. Reloads using IMR 4895 that were just a tad hot for it.. oops.. Yep, was wearing glasses and it scared the heck outa me.. but now I know that a Mini is not supposed to fire 5.56 ammo.. oops.

Miwall ammo doesn't seem to be too hot though. Earlier when I've shot them over a chrono, they've been pretty consistent around 2850 fps. Of course, depending on the powder used it could still produce high pressures, but I haven't seen any signs of that either.

Miwall ammo doesn't seem to be too hot though. Earlier when I've shot them over a chrono, they've been pretty consistent around 2850 fps. Of course, depending on the powder used it could still produce high pressures, but I haven't seen any signs of that either.

Something in the barrel maybe?

Don't feel bad, I blew up my new JP rifle several years ago with some 're-manufactured' ammo. Not as bad as yours, but it wasn't happy.