Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 o'clock AR flashlight mount

chp5

When you mount a flashlight at 6 o'clock and a little behind the end of the barrel, the barrel will often cast a large shadow on the FACE of the person that you are trying to light up at CQB distances, if you are holding at center of mass. This does two things, 1-you can not clearly and quickly identify your target. Is it a bad guy, or your buddy who has had a few beers too many. 2- you want that light blinding them in the freakin' eyes. With a big shadow across their face, you are losing 50% of your lights lumens into the eyes, again bad. If you are right handed, and have a vertical grip, mount the light on the right side of the rifle, and use your left thumb to depress the tail switch. I would avoid the squeeze tape type light activators, as they get left on accidentally when you lay your rifle down and they get turned on. You never know it, and your batteries are dead, things go bump in the night but now we are back to #1 above, except now we have NO illumination. Lights on AR's are great, but there is much more to them than simply sticking one on and thinking we have all the bases covered. I wasn't smart enough to figure this out on my own. That's why I read stuff by people who have done this stuff for real. Check out "Green eyes and black rifles" by Kyle Lamb. I think everyone who may use an AR for self defense should read it. Even after a ton of three gun, I picked up so many little things that it was worth evey penny.

I bought this set up and have been playing with it and shot it on the rifle yesterday (about 300 rounds).

ElZetta_Tactical_Flashlight_Holder_m.jpg

I really like it. No observable shadow from the barrel. With the optional thumbscrew, you can quickly remove the flashlight.

• 11 years later...
On 1/19/2009 at 8:33 AM, shooter steve said:

When you mount a flashlight at 6 o'clock and a little behind the end of the barrel, the barrel will often cast a large shadow on the FACE of the person that you are trying to light up at CQB distances, if you are holding at center of mass. This does two things, 1-you can not clearly and quickly identify your target. Is it a bad guy, or your buddy who has had a few beers too many. 2- you want that light blinding them in the freakin' eyes. With a big shadow across their face, you are losing 50% of your lights lumens into the eyes, again bad. If you are right handed, and have a vertical grip, mount the light on the right side of the rifle, and use your left thumb to depress the tail switch. I would avoid the squeeze tape type light activators, as they get left on accidentally when you lay your rifle down and they get turned on. You never know it, and your batteries are dead, things go bump in the night but now we are back to #1 above, except now we have NO illumination. Lights on AR's are great, but there is much more to them than simply sticking one on and thinking we have all the bases covered. I wasn't smart enough to figure this out on my own. That's why I read stuff by people who have done this stuff for real. Check out "Green eyes and black rifles" by Kyle Lamb. I think everyone who may use an AR for self defense should read it. Even after a ton of three gun, I picked up so many little things that it was worth evey penny.

If mounting at 6 o'clock, use an A2 Birdcage comp to place the light near the end of the barrel without it being subjected to the blast. I've been thing about this solution ever since you made your comment in 2009.

15 hours ago, kkant said:

If mounting at 6 o'clock, use an A2 Birdcage comp to place the light near the end of the barrel without it being subjected to the blast. I've been thing about this solution ever since you made your comment in 2009.

@kkant - welcome to the forums.  But I can't figure out - how is it that you've been thinking about this for 11 years when you joined the forum this morning?

Also: https://lmgtfy.app/?q=necroposting

Edited by emjbe

I always mounted mine on the side. I prefer a pressure switch on top rail that easily allows me to turn on and off with my thumb over the top. Remember the lights nice for identifying a possible target at night but it also gives away your position so make sure it is followed with proper training. 

Edited by strangedays

Poppy cock! If it isn't at 6:00 on one side of the other you will have to lean way out at corners exposing a bunch of mission critical stuff to the pop up shoot back target systems. Far better a "neutral" light position.....especially indoors!