Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving To The Darkside

davecutts

I watched it being built for a couple of days, and Wednesday night I got about an hour of sleep adn I an now in posetion of several firsts my first new built from the ground up for me IPSC gun, and my first open gun. Picks will appear soon. :D

Strangely enough, I'm having just a much fun moving even further from the Dark Side. After years of carrying, and firing in IDPA and USPSA, a custom 1911, I'm switching over to a stock Glock 34. Went out last night for some live fire practice. What a neat gun. I've got a set of Heinie Slant Pros on the way from Brownell's, holster and mag pouches from KyTac, I'll be ordering bullets and powder here shortly. This is just so cool. I'm going to be firing a stock gun in Production/SSP after years of going the custom root. Back to basics.

I just switched from a Glock 35 to an STI. I have had a lot of fun playing with it. The Glock still goes everywhere as the back up and I am still not ready to put it away for good. Good luck with your new gun.

Mike

SS, 9 is what I'm planning on. Free once fired brass is the biggest reason. Tommy Abernathy Precision Gunworks in Mount Holly NC, just outside Charlotte. He built my limited gun last year. I have not picked all the parts yet, but pretty sure it will be a 5 incher with STI trubor barrel/comp not to sure on the S1 or S2. I have a friend that has one with an S2 and is having another one built with the S1. So I’ll wait and see how that turns out.

Jim:

Yeah-local guy in corona, I’ve been bugging him for years, and finally saved up my pennies (lots) and did it, and boy can he make a sportblaster run.

Duane:

I thought about going that route for a bit, but I have been seeing so much after switching from SS 45 to a p16, that I wanted to find out what else I could see with a dot and different target focus.

Jon:

People questioned me allot about building a 9mm, but I think it is the way to go if you're a working stiff and actually want to shoot the thing, and if it’s once fired brass you are only shooting once the is a lot more margin of safety. You'll have to PM me about this free brass.

Dave, I am very interested in how you gun runs. At the suggestion of a good friend that use to shoot a lot at Norco I met his gunsmith a few weeks ago in Corona and was thinking about having him build me an open gun next year. He seems very knowledgeable and just an all around nice guy. Best of luck with your new race gun. :D

Jim

Two years ago at the Michigan IDPA State Match I was running an IPSC side match with a friend. He repeatedly tried to talk me into trying IPSC, which I firmly replied NO!!

This year, at the same State Match, same side match, there I sat with my .38 super open and STI limited gun in my range bag.....we had a good chuckle. :D

"Strangely enough, I'm having just a much fun moving even further from the Dark Side. After years of carrying, and firing in IDPA and USPSA, a custom 1911, I'm switching over to a stock Glock 34. Went out last night for some live fire practice. What a neat gun. I've got a set of Heinie Slant Pros on the way from Brownell's, holster and mag pouches from KyTac, I'll be ordering bullets and powder here shortly. This is just so cool. I'm going to be firing a stock gun in Production/SSP after years of going the custom root. Back to basics."

Say, Duane, didn't you write "The Truth About Handguns"? Thought you said there that you were a big Glock fan already. :D

Duane,

FWIW, the softest loads can be had with 147 gr. bullets but may require a 12-14 lb. spring to cycle the gun reliably. Enjoy the Glock, I'm thinking about breaking out the 1911 in L10 for a little while....

A local Master, Tom Kettells, gave me the same advice. I won - or rather, the gods of the random drawing decreed I be allowed to pick off the prize table - 500 free bullets at this year's WA IDPA Champs, so I made them 146-gr. Nines. I've loaded them over 3.6-gr. Universal - because I had it on hand - just to have something to try them out, but Bruce Gray has recommended Viht N320 as my 9mm powder and I'll be switching to that shortly.

Say, Duane, didn't you write "The Truth About Handguns"? Thought you said there that you were a big Glock fan already."

Yes, I did write that book - in 1997. Shortly thereafter I was tempted away from the path of Austrian perfection by the superior early 20th Century American technology. Now I'm back. Actually I've put so much time in on the 1911 I'm going to keep shooting it, along with the Glock. I'd just hate to lose my touch on the singlestack .45.

Duane

hate to disillision you, but I found the triggers so different that I could not go back and forth. About the time I figured that out, I also figured out that I wasn't having fun shooting the Glock and made it the official truck pistol, and have since that time done all serious handgunning with the 1911.

Maybe Bill Nesbit can shed some light on how to transition from one to the other, but I couldn't do it. Good luck with it.