Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grandmasters Shoot Free?

My initial gut feeling was negative, so I understand both sides. However, if it leads to the match having more GMs, such that it would generate a classifier score, that is a positive for me. That would make those results mean more to me as the best gauge of my performance and progress. Shooting a big match and not seeing where I stood against GMs falls short for me. So if it takes some special pricing or free shoots to make that happen, I'm ok with that.

I agree with GTOSHootr

I want to know were I rank, not just locally but overall. Classifiers are not a good indication of talent. Sure, beating the top A Open class shooter in the country is good indication, but sometimes you need real competition :ph34r:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Full disclosure : I only shoot one or two uspsa majors a year.

I really do not care if I am able to compare my scores against a GM. I am there try and shoot an error free match and push myself. I am there to shoot fun stages and see my friends. Because of that, I really feel no need to subsidize a GM's shooting game.

I know we all have different reasons for playing this game and I respect others reasons- but I would vote with my wallet if I saw a match that gave free entries such as described above.

I'm the MD who decided to let GMs shoot free for Space City Challenge 2009 and I thought that I'd let everyone know my rationale behind the decision.

First I'll state that I believe that Grand Masters have earned their titles through a lot of dedication and hard work. Most of them also contibute a lot back to the sport. It is also a fact that at big matches many people either want to squad with them or crowd around to watch them shoot...there is a reason for that...we learn when we watch better shooters.

That being said, the decision to let GMs shoot free was purely to help promote our match. They are not shooting free to "give them a break" or because they "deserve it". Last year we only had 3 GMs and 2 of them shot free b/c of sponsorship. If they shot free then it would have cost the match $120 (1 match fee) from our profit. People who think we should lower the match fee instead need to re-think that idea. IF we're fortunate to get a few more GMs shoot free then they cost us nothing because we've covered our costs. If more GMs show up it will just raise our level of competition. This is our benefit match for the section...we want to raise enough money next another year!

Our match conflicts with Area 6 again this year and we have a random prize table. Last year few GMs shot SCC2008 because of these issues. I was hoping that a little more incentive might encourage a few GMs.

Come shoot with us in April for the right reasons. We put on a darned good match and have a great random prize table...C shooters have the same chance at the big prizes as the big dogs!

Landis - Texas South Section - SC

Edited by sidnal

Our match conflicts with Area 6 again this year and we have a random prize table. Last year few GMs shot SCC2008 because of these issues. I was hoping that a little more incentive might encourage a few GMs.

Rather than giving out freebees to GMs, have you thought about distributing the prize table the way shooters want?

Polls show ~73% of competitors prefer prizes distributed according to order of finish.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=badchad

".......... have you thought about distributing the prize table the way shooters want?

Polls show ~73% of competitors prefer prizes distributed according to order of finish.

That may not work at Space City. From my understanding its always been a three day format. ROs shoot on Friday, most of the other shooters shoot Saturday, and the few that can't make it on Saturday shoot Sunday morning.

Rather than have the majority of the shooters stay an extra night, the random prize table is distributed after shooting is finished Saturday. The Sunday shooter, even if not present, are included in the random drawing.

To most of the out-of-towners I would think a random drawing would be preferred to staying an extra night in a hotel room.

If my thinking is wrong, let your voices be heard.

I'd agree to GM's shooting free IF they are not in a super squad at that match. Never did care for that.

If the comment was they draw in shooters, then let them shoot with who they draw in. I think one of the big fallacies in our game is the analogy with Tiger Woods and getting to play with the greats in the game.

By and large the greats in the game shoot together, they are not always squadded with C-B-D shooters. Do that and you would have shooters clamoring to attend the match.

Downside is the GM probably won't after getting 10K questions on how to shoot, where to stand, etc.

I'd agree to GM's shooting free IF they are not in a super squad at that match. Never did care for that.

If the comment was they draw in shooters, then let them shoot with who they draw in. I think one of the big fallacies in our game is the analogy with Tiger Woods and getting to play with the greats in the game.

By and large the greats in the game shoot together, they are not always squadded with C-B-D shooters. Do that and you would have shooters clamoring to attend the match.

Downside is the GM probably won't after getting 10K questions on how to shoot, where to stand, etc.

We will not have a super squad. Once I get internet squadding up people can squad with whoever they want!

If my thinking is wrong, let your voices be heard.

You're right, this worked for many people. Last year we Manny and Chad had a fun weekend. They shot the Rocky Mountain 300 on Friday, Area 6 on Saturday and SCC2008 on Sunday. They were both pretty jazzed about having 3 first class matches in 3-days!