Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Mississippi Classic

Match Dates:

May 15th*, 16th, and 17th

RO's and limited shoot through's only on Friday the 15th with the main match being a 1 1/2 day match on Saturday and Sunday.

Match Format:

10 stages, 250+ rounds

Latest Ed. of USPSA rulebook

Awards:

Plaques and Cash Awards based on order of finish and division participation

Prizes by random drawing (must be present to win)

Match Fee:

$120 ($145 after 5/6)

Ladies and Juniors shoot for half price

Match Director:

John Heiter

Range Master:

Lloyd Landry

Match Hotel:

TBD - We are negotiating a deal with a brand new property located in Byram approx. 1 mile from the range and will announce as soon as we have finalized arrangements.

Alternative Lodging:

We do allow RV camping on the range property if you are interested in staying with us but be warned that we have very limited (practically zero) power/water connections,

Match Zodiac Sign:

Taurus - Which means our match is highly compatible with Virgo matches like the USPSA Nationals

I guess that's about it but if you can think of any other questions, please feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks,

John Heiter

Match Director

2009 Mississippi Classic

Edited by John Heiter

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck yea!!!! That time of the year already!!

Can't wait to see everyone again and meet new folks. Was such a great time last year. I'm sure it'll be even better this year.

I'll try to get John to give us some reinforcement for the walls on our stage..... just in case "Sasquatch" has another tip-over! :devil:

Cheers to all!! :cheers:

If you are a wheel-gunner (Real Gunner) this is the match to make. We have some damn fine revolver shooters locally, and a bunch that come here from out of town. If you think you can spin the wheel, come on down! This is where the best compete.

Bwana six-Gun

I am not one of the better ones, but I do try.

Hi gang,

Just a quick update:

1. I've worked out a deal with a new hotel (Holiday Inn Express) being built in Byram. They're finishing construction this month and they're opening their doors in February so they should have all the kinks worked out in plenty of time for our match. They're giving us a good rate and the best part is that it is located only about 1.5 miles from the range. I should have the final paperwork in hand this week and they'll be ready to accept reservations the first week in February. I'll post info. as soon as it's ready to go.

2. Max Michel Jr. and Travis Thomasie are coming to the match this year and want to put on a class while they're in town. I've been working with Bobby Keigans on setting up the particulars. They'll be hosting the class at the range on Thursday and Friday and then shooting the match on Saturday and Sunday. I hate that I'm going to be tied up getting everything ready because I think it would be a great way to improve my game. Four days of shooting, about 1K rounds, training and supervision by two of the best shooters and nicest guys in the sport, and when it's all over you may just take home a plaque, some cash, and some prizes to boot. It sounds like a great shooting vacation to me. More info on the class can be found here.

Finally, what's up Sam? Lynn fed me some sort of marginal excuse about a kid graduating from Med. School that day and I guess I believe him but I'm pretty sure you're not in Med. School so what's the deal?

• 2 weeks later...

This has been one of the "must do" matches for me over the last several years running. The hospitality has been great from ALL of the Ro's and everyone else associated with the match and especially John. I really like seeing the top shooters show up but this has been one match that you could go to and shoot as an average guy and do well. Anyway it's always a good time.

Hi gang,

Just a quick update:

1. I've worked out a deal with a new hotel (Holiday Inn Express) being built in Byram. They're finishing construction this month and they're opening their doors in February so they should have all the kinks worked out in plenty of time for our match. They're giving us a good rate and the best part is that it is located only about 1.5 miles from the range. I should have the final paperwork in hand this week and they'll be ready to accept reservations the first week in February. I'll post info. as soon as it's ready to go.

John, I see HIE now shows that new location as open and ready to take reservations. Any word yet on a promo/discount code for the match?

John, as above, need info to make a reservation.

Can any of you local Mississippi shooters make recommendations on resturants (hopefully one with a good beer selection) in Byram, or not too far away, and / or things to do or see in the area at night?

John, as above, need info to make a reservation.

Can any of you local Mississippi shooters make recommendations on resturants (hopefully one with a good beer selection) in Byram, or not too far away, and / or things to do or see in the area at night?

Maybe a good Italian resturant??

It's a relatively small town/area here but there are a few spots close that are good. Below are the ones off the top of my head.

Portabella's - more upscale and pricey but excellent food

Reed Pierce's - Pool tables and live entertainment most weekends, cold beer and good food :cheers:

Wyndale Steak House - old building with down home atmosphere, great food

And there is the usual, McAllisters, McDonalds, Captain D's, Pizza Hut, Wendys, Mazzios, Taco Bell, Krystal, KFC, Sonic.... all real close to range/hotel

If I'm forgetting any spots..... the rest of you rednecks speak up!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long wait on the Hotel info. We have a block of rooms booked in the Holiday Inn Express in Byram MS. The rooms are $80/night and are booked under the block name "Mississippi Shooting Classic". You can reach the front desk directly by calling (601) 346-8118.

I've been holding off on announcing it because the woman I've been working with has been trying to set us up with a special online booking code. That part still isn't ready yet, but they've only been open for three days now so I guess it's understandable that they have some kinks to work out. I think the match is far enough out that they should have those bugs worked out by the time you guys show up. If you DO have any problems getting booked, ask to speak to Emily or let me know.

The dining opportunities are a little limited in the Byram area, but there are a few good ones as MrClean described and there are plenty more once you get up into Jackson which is only about ten minutes north. Having a quality hotel so close to the range should make it super convenient for competitors going back and forth and I'm really excited about it.

John

I just got back from a guided tour of the match hotel. Very nice. The general manager took me around showing me the various types of guest rooms, meeting rooms, etc. Basically gave me the VIP treatment, which I'm not used to, but I guess there are a few perks to booking 2/3rds of a hotel for a weekend. :roflol:

Anyway, it's a bit on the smaller side but the rooms looked really nice and there's a meeting room for registration just to the right as you pass through the lobby so we should be all set.

John