slide racker

5 port comp

aftec extractor

EGW long ejector

thx

5" slide...

I don't like short guns.

Violent recoil. :unsure:

Nobody that's tried my Bedell Shorty has said it was even close to violent. Most folks say that it feels fast, but smooth. My MC gun is the same overall length, but has a longer slide, shorter comp and lighter barrel so that it balances and feels very similar.

5" slide...

I don't like short guns.

Nobody that's tried my Bedell Shorty has said it was even close to violent. Most folks say that it feels fast, but smooth. My MC gun is the same overall length, but has a longer slide, shorter comp and lighter barrel so that it balances and feels very similar.

I had a Bedell shorty...

5" slide...

I don't like short guns.

My shooting partner does and I think it has a nasty recoil compared with the longer guns.

5" slide...

I don't like short guns.

My shooting partner does and I think it has a nasty recoil compared with the longer guns.

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with load selection. My current load with N105 and 115gr bullets is a pussycat and it's well over 170pf. Then again, some folks are just wusses :roflol: Just kidding!

I would say that the MC gun is a fair bit softer...the slide is in between a normal shorty and a full 5" gun, but because of the shorter (Ti) cone comp and standard barrel it's not heavy out front like some of the full size guns.

When I shoot a 5" gun with a long, heavy, comp/barrel setup it feels like I'm lugging an anchor from target to target.

I have no idea what exact version of Bedell shorty Matt had, but I have a friend who shot an earlier Bedell shorty and thought it was nasty. He tried mine and said "oh, that's totally different"....I'm guessing the earlier one might have had popple holes or the ammo was completely different.

One thing that I've only heard one place and makes sense to me relates to how certain Open setups are better for some folks and vice-versa. Some research has been done (mostly in boxing) where they wired folks up with sensors to see how the brain reacts when they get hit. I'm totally paraphrasing in non-medical terms, but it'll make sense to most folks I think. At impact everyone's brain essentially shuts off for a split second. They measured how long this was and it varied pretty significantly from person to person, but there were two main groups....one was in a faster reset (for lack of a better term) and the other a slower reset. They say that shooting a gun stimulates a similar response from the brain as taking a punch, albeit somewhat less dramatic. Folks that can't stand fast, snappy guns are in the slower reset group. The gun is doing all this stuff and it their brain doesn't catch up. Give them a slower, smoother gun and all is well. On the opposite tack, take a fast reset person and give them a slow, smooth gun and it gives them fits because it seems incredibly sluggish...their brain is waiting for the gun.

I guess that's why it pays to try different combos and see what seems to "feel right" before building/buying a gun. R,

Violent recoil

My 'smith (JPL Precision) built me a shorty that was, while exactly what I asked for, pretty violent to shoot. When I asked him to tweak it, he put a full-length recoil system in it, and it is sweeeeeet. Light, tracks fast, and soft too.

$.02

5" slide...

I don't like short guns.

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with load selection. My current load with N105 and 115gr bullets is a pussycat and it's well over 170pf. Then again, some folks are just wusses :roflol: Just kidding!

I would say that the MC gun is a fair bit softer...the slide is in between a normal shorty and a full 5" gun, but because of the shorter (Ti) cone comp and standard barrel it's not heavy out front like some of the full size guns.

When I shoot a 5" gun with a long, heavy, comp/barrel setup it feels like I'm lugging an anchor from target to target.

I have no idea what exact version of Bedell shorty Matt had, but I have a friend who shot an earlier Bedell shorty and thought it was nasty. He tried mine and said "oh, that's totally different"....I'm guessing the earlier one might have had popple holes or the ammo was completely different.

One thing that I've only heard one place and makes sense to me relates to how certain Open setups are better for some folks and vice-versa. Some research has been done (mostly in boxing) where they wired folks up with sensors to see how the brain reacts when they get hit. I'm totally paraphrasing in non-medical terms, but it'll make sense to most folks I think. At impact everyone's brain essentially shuts off for a split second. They measured how long this was and it varied pretty significantly from person to person, but there were two main groups....one was in a faster reset (for lack of a better term) and the other a slower reset. They say that shooting a gun stimulates a similar response from the brain as taking a punch, albeit somewhat less dramatic. Folks that can't stand fast, snappy guns are in the slower reset group. The gun is doing all this stuff and it their brain doesn't catch up. Give them a slower, smoother gun and all is well. On the opposite tack, take a fast reset person and give them a slow, smooth gun and it gives them fits because it seems incredibly sluggish...their brain is waiting for the gun.

I guess that's why it pays to try different combos and see what seems to "feel right" before building/buying a gun. R,

His has to be one of the first ones Dan built... he uses N350, but I don't know how much or what the oal length is. You think 105 is better?

His has to be one of the first ones Dan built... he uses N350, but I don't know how much or what the oal length is. You think 105 is better?

OMG yes! I ran N350 with the MG 121 IFP for quite some time then switched to N105 and MG 115 JHPs and it's like night and day. 3N38 is close, but not quite as soft and in some guns throws a fireball out the comp from time to time...not so good for low light or barrels.

For the threadstarter I doubt you can get enough N105 in a 9x19 case to make major since it takes about 10.5gr give or take (depends on the barrel comp).

I had a shorty that's just like current production.

Thing is, why not go with a 5" when they shoot even softer and can be as light as the short gun?

For me, it's probably more a balance issue than anything. I've shot a Bedell full size that's otherwise the same setup as my shorty and it felt really slow and sluggish and I didn't like weight out front. That's why my MC gun is sort of in between. Almost a 5" slide, but went with the lighter barrel, short Ti cone comp and it seems to be the best of both worlds (same weight as my Bedell and same balance point). Derek was a little skeptical of the combo when I suggested it, but said it was definitely worth trying. After he shot it he called me and said "I really like the way this gun shoots....I mean I really, really like it. The dot doesn't leave the A-zone at 25yds and it's soft". He was using 4756 which is in the ballpark of 3N38 and N105, but I don't recall what bullet.

OMG yes! I ran N350 with the MG 121 IFP for quite some time then switched to N105 and MG 115 JHPs and it's like night and day. 3N38 is close, but not quite as soft and in some guns throws a fireball out the comp from time to time...not so good for low light or barrels.

For the threadstarter I doubt you can get enough N105 in a 9x19 case to make major since it takes about 10.5gr give or take (depends on the barrel comp).

I'll pass it along...

Thanks

Edited by JThompson

Ideal for me is a light 5" gun. I don't like the short guns either, recoil is much more violent to me even with a full 5" recoil system and the noise is punishing regardless of loads when compared apples to apples. I run a 5" gun, no barrel holes, and a TI comp that makes my gun the same or slightly lighter than a typical short gun and balances on the face of the trigger, all of the positives of the short gun but without what I consider to be the downsides of the short gun.

Caspian Hi-Cap Frames, one in Carbon Steel, the other in Titanium.

Caspian 9mm Commander slides lightened to approx 9ozs

Bar-Sto Barrel, STD Ramp.

Briley Ti Quad Comp

Using Caspian's XL Ejector and Dawson Extractor.

Ti Frame has been Accu-Railed and Caspian applied their Tungsten Carbide treatment to the frame rails.

Currently using the Barry Mount. Initially used C-More Serendipity's

I just switched from a short gun to a 5 inch. The two guns are close in weight. If I remember correctly it was just a couple of ounces between the two.

I find it is easier to call my shots. The gun recoils softer and is just as flat shooting.

It is a bull barrel Ti comp set up.

I'd say go with a full length slide ( 5" ) but the shorty would be OK as long as the smith is OK with it.

I'd ditch the serendipity for a single side mount. It can be converted easily so you do not need to get a new one, just cut the legs and drill a hole. The Allchin mount is good but I think I'd go with the new funky one from Quinn Engineering.

My current 9mm open gun would be considered VERY short (see my avatar or other posts). AWLAZS has shot it and he has called it harsh compared to his Bedell shorty or Cheely 5-inch. For me, I find it very controllable, smooth, and flat and I have never found it to be loud, but I double plug. I enjoy shooting this gun a lot and do not see anything about it limiting my ability to improve as a shooter, atleast moving from C to B class.

However, after doing a lot of research, talking with Mr Cheely and AWLAZS, I am building a 5-inch gun with extensive slide lightening. I believe that configuration will provide a smoother and flatter shooting platform in the long run. At some point in my learning curve, I do believe that the limitations of the shorter gun will become more evident.

I have two full size 9mm major open guns built by Jim Anglin. Both guns have cone comp barrels, SV triggers, Swenson ambi safeties etc. The best of everything. I have not had a single problem with either gun since I started shooting them. Previous;y I shot an SV IMM in 38 SC. Both guns are very soft shooting and flat.