Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon guarantee good for a year (on the tumbler)

My fl2000 ran for twenty years :surprise:

Then it died a horrid death <_<

I have had their new one for a year now ...and it still goin strong

I would opt to swap the motor every now and then.

jim

The plastic parts on my FL2000 finally gave out after 19 years. I sent the old tumbler to Dillon and they replace it with a new CV-2001.

I think the one year warranty is only on the motor (electrical components), everything else is life time.

I don't know of any other tumblers with the capacity of the dillon 2000 series. You don't always tumble that much brass... many people won't need to, but if you ever have the need to dump about 15lbs of brass in a tumbler... that's the way to go.

Well in the interest of complete honest and forthright communication, my dillon tumbler was run for hours at a time.

Some times as many as like 5 of them, probably more.

I must have missed that in the instructions.

My Midway tumbler has been run for hours and hours also, but with no ill effects.

Now I know/

I will have to remember this. I run my Midway on a timer for 6 hours every single time. It just needs that time to do a decent job. Guess if I get a Dillon I only need 2 hours.

I will have to remember this. I run my Midway on a timer for 6 hours every single time. It just needs that time to do a decent job. Guess if I get a Dillon I only need 2 hours.

These tumblers seem to work the best when they're loaded close to capacity.

I have a midway and the dillon. They seem to work equally well. As a matter of fact. I think the midway (older, rounder model) might work a little better but the difference (if any) is minimal at best.

Dillon recommends that you only run the tumbler for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. This is pleanty of time to clean all of your cases. Some people will leave it on overnight or for a number of hours and this puts extra strain on the motor and it will die on you.

I learned this the hard way. Since learning the correct way to use my tumbler I've never had another problem.

I was fortunate to have mine go belly up during the warentee period and was told what my mistake was.

I screwed up when setting the timer for my CV-2001 a few years ago.

When I came back from vacation 9 days later it was still running, so I must have overshot the 2h limit by about 200. Still running just fine though :)

Edited by gose

Dillon recommends that you only run the tumbler for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. This is pleanty of time to clean all of your cases. Some people will leave it on overnight or for a number of hours and this puts extra strain on the motor and it will die on you.

I learned this the hard way. Since learning the correct way to use my tumbler I've never had another problem.

I was fortunate to have mine go belly up during the warentee period and was told what my mistake was.

When I came back from vacation 9 days later it was still running, so I must have overshot the 2h limit by about 200. Still running just fine though :)

How clean was the brass?

Had it eroded away? :roflol:

How clean was the brass?

Had it eroded away? :roflol:

It was the shiniest brass I've ever seen, the media otoh looked like ashes :)

I have had my 500 for a couple of yrs now and the other day I saw that the motor was still running but that it was not vibrating with any kind of load. I took all the cases out and it would vibrate. I put some back in and the motor ran but no vibration. I emialed dillon and they told me to fix it would take 124.00 and that included the return shipping. That is basically the price of a new one. I don't get it. I thought it would be a little cheaper. I have started to think about a Thumlers Tumber instead of the bigger dillon. I do load and clean alot of cases right now and do not want to get caught up in paying alot for something that might not work.

My 2nd CV-500 died so I too recently "upgraded" - to a CM-750. <_< I had to send it back because it wasn't cycling the media and am still waiting on it's return. Should be anyday now. :yawn: I think if I need one in the future I will just get some other brand for $40 and not be so miffed when it wears out. :closedeyes:

If you really want to tumble brass, get yourself a Thumbler Tumbler. They are anything but cheap, but they are industrial strength. Can tumble wet or dry and will even run OK without the lid! The shape of the bowl is such that it rolls the brass up and over without sending the media up over the edge. I can run mine for hours, dump it, refill it and run it again. Did I mention that it is HUGE.

McMaster Carr for around $400 I think.

Jim

I called Dillon again yesterday and this time they told me that I had two options, 1. I could send in my tumber and they would replace the motor for 40 bucks and that included shipping back to me. Option 2. Send in my tumbler and they would replace my motor with the new 750 motor which is the same one that comes on the 2000 series. They said this motor is way better than the old motor and that is why they started to use it instead of the older 500 one. He talked about Dillon maybe extending their warranty to two yrs if everything pans out. Anyways the 750 motor replacement is going to cost me 79 bucks and that includes return shipping. I think, from what he told me that this will work out for the best. Hope it gets here soon. I also checked with Barry mfr and I will be buying one of their tumblers for 60 bucks with free shipping and their's is warrantied for 3 yrs on the motor and for life on the rest of it. Not a bad deal to me. I have an old Barry's tumbler that the bowl came apart on. I do not think it had the same warranty as the new ones.

• 1 year later...

Would some one take the time to report the OEM information from the motors on a new Dillon 2001 tumbler? The Emerson numbers I have can not be found in a web search. I feel the OEM motor can be replace much cheaper than the cost Dillon offers to repair. I would hate to trash two perfectly good tumblers because of the motors.

Thx for any help

This is my first post and don't want to make it sound like a complaint. My Dillon tumbler died a couple of days ago and I'm also looking for a replacement. I picked up one from Harbor Freight yesterday and it does okay for small amounts of brass but won't hold near what my Dillon CV-500 held. I have pulled the motor from the Dillon in hopes of finding a replacement that will fit but so far no luck. I called Dillon and was told they no longer have any of the motors that fit this machine and I would need to send it in and have one of the ones they use for the newer CV-750's installed and it would cost me over $100 plus shipping. I can replace the motor myself if I can find one that fits. I read on another board where someone just replaced the bearings and the motor worked just fine. I've read so much bad press about Lyman lately (including lack of customer service) that I have pretty much decided to either buy a new Dillon or one of the Thumbler's Tumblers. If anyone knows where to find a replacement for the Dillon I would appreciate the info. Thanks in avance.

This is my first post and don't want to make it sound like a complaint. My Dillon tumbler died a couple of days ago and I'm also looking for a replacement. I picked up one from Harbor Freight yesterday and it does okay for small amounts of brass but won't hold near what my Dillon CV-500 held. I have pulled the motor from the Dillon in hopes of finding a replacement that will fit but so far no luck. I called Dillon and was told they no longer have any of the motors that fit this machine and I would need to send it in and have one of the ones they use for the newer CV-750's installed and it would cost me over $100 plus shipping. I can replace the motor myself if I can find one that fits. I read on another board where someone just replaced the bearings and the motor worked just fine. I've read so much bad press about Lyman lately (including lack of customer service) that I have pretty much decided to either buy a new Dillon or one of the Thumbler's Tumblers. If anyone knows where to find a replacement for the Dillon I would appreciate the info. Thanks in avance.

I can't speak to Lyman service, but, I'm not displeased with their tumblers. I have an autoflow that I've run for two years and it is quite strong. I regularly run it overnight with treated walnut. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the autoflow option - too much of a pain in the butt. I put a Berry's bowl with the clear cover on it - I like the clear cover a lot and the Berry's bowl doesn't get dirty. The Lyman is vigorous and shows no signs of slowing down.

Bob