Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.8 SPC

RangerTrace

I didn't know where else to post this so...

I have the itch to buy an AR in the 6.8 SPC caliber. It would be used very lightly for varmit and hog hunting. I already have an issued AR/M4 in 223 and don't want to duplicate the caliber. I thought a little about 308, but my wife MAY shoot it some and I wanted to keep the recoil down for her.

Do any of you have experience with the 6.8 SPC ARs? I'm researching the net, but I thought I would save some time and just ask the Pros!!

Do you think the cartridge will be around long enough to justify buying one. I don't reload, so I have to be able to buy enough ammo for the rare hunting trip.

I didn't know where else to post this so...

I have the itch to buy an AR in the 6.8 SPC caliber. It would be used very lightly for varmit and hog hunting. I already have an issued AR/M4 in 223 and don't want to duplicate the caliber. I thought a little about 308, but my wife MAY shoot it some and I wanted to keep the recoil down for her.

Do any of you have experience with the 6.8 SPC ARs? I'm researching the net, but I thought I would save some time and just ask the Pros!!

Do you think the cartridge will be around long enough to justify buying one. I don't reload, so I have to be able to buy enough ammo for the rare hunting trip.

Personally I had one when it was the "cool" thing to do. To me it just didn't do anything great but could be used for lots of things. I never got great accuracy out of it so sold it and got a......308. I think it will be around but I just don't see the major point in it. If you want accuracy, speed, rounds .223. If you want more punch .308. If you want neither but both 6.8 :roflol: I guess I'm just not fond of it but some might have more experience than me.

NO NO NO. Go to 6mmbr.com and check out the Grendel. If you want something different than 223 in an AR platform check it out. There is not a sidebar on it, but just type in 6.5 Grendel into the search box and it will give you everything. History, load data, everything. JP is now building Grendel top ends, so there is a good quality product available. Sorry to come across so strong, but I have done the research on this, and when you put the cartridges side by side, I just can't see a reason to even look at the 6.8. I figure someone from the other camp will chime in quickly, so listen to their advice also, and make an educated decision. I'm out of work due to a messed up knee, but I go back at the end of the week, and as soon as I get caught up from Christmas, a Grendel will be the first thing I buy.

NO NO NO. Go to 6mmbr.com and check out the Grendel. If you want something different than 223 in an AR platform check it out. There is not a sidebar on it, but just type in 6.5 Grendel into the search box and it will give you everything. History, load data, everything. JP is now building Grendel top ends, so there is a good quality product available. Sorry to come across so strong, but I have done the research on this, and when you put the cartridges side by side, I just can't see a reason to even look at the 6.8. I figure someone from the other camp will chime in quickly, so listen to their advice also, and make an educated decision. I'm out of work due to a messed up knee, but I go back at the end of the week, and as soon as I get caught up from Christmas, a Grendel will be the first thing I buy.

OK, but will I have a hard time finding ammo, on down the road?

Wow, you couldn't have picked two more opposite styles of hunting to use the same cartridge for. My opinion is the 6.8 will not be very practicle for either. nor would any other single caliber. For hog a .450 Bushmaster or .500 Beowolf would work well (my preferance for hog would be a 100 grain broadhead). and Varmint (not Varmit) a .204 Ruger would be nice. You might build a gun with two uppers to cover what you wish to hunt.

Other than maybe small varmint hunting, for what you are saying you are going to use it for, I think 6.8 SPC would be a good choice.

Factory ammo selection for 6.8 SPC is better than 6.5 Grendel. There are 6.8 factory loadings that are actually hunting loads and there are a lot of successful reports on using 6.8 SPC on hogs and deer.

Wow, you couldn't have picked two more opposite styles of hunting to use the same cartridge for. My opinion is the 6.8 will not be very practicle for either. nor would any other single caliber. For hog a .450 Bushmaster or .500 Beowolf would work well (my preferance for hog would be a 100 grain broadhead). and Varmint (not Varmit) a .204 Ruger would be nice. You might build a gun with two uppers to cover what you wish to hunt.

It probably would have been more accurate to say "light target shooting" as I rarely hunt anything. I simply need a reason to buy an AR platform rifle to justify the purchase with my wife. Last weekend, she was invited to Bill Wilson's ranch for a hog hunt. So, obviously I need another "low recoil" rifle for her to hunt with. FYI, she has never killed anything and probably never will.

So, I'm interested in the 6.8 more because I don't want another 223 than anything else. Of course, it is always possible it could be used to kill something.

PS Thanks for the spelling lesson!! My computer won't let me use the spell check function on this forum! I already spend too much time on here, I don't proof read my posts like a good poster should.

Edited by rangertrace

I don't like anything about the 6.8 SPC. It was built to fill a void that never existed. So soldiers wanted a better stopping cartridge that the AR could be adapted to accommodate with minimal changes... :rolleyes:

Does the saying "tits on a boar hog" ring any bells. Build another AR if you want an AR. Use a 1/8 twist SPR contour bbl 20". Put a 3.5x15, 4x14, or a 4x16 scope on it. Work up a load using 77 SMK bullets behind Re15 (it works better on the heavies than Varget) and shoot the immortal shit out of it. It will kill varmint, hogs, deer, or anything else you want.

low recoiling

tack driving

multitude of gun parts

tons of inexpensive components

lots of inexpensive factory available ammo

known weapon and caliber

If you must build an alternative AR and you want something fast and flat with good knockdown, build a .25 WSSM or .243 WSSM. They work well on paper too. But for all practical purposes, build a .223. If the SHTF, ammo for a .223 can be found anywhere, it's small, lightweight, and very portable. A 1/8 twist 20" AR is extremely versatile. If I had to go into a mad situation, one of those with a moderate power scope will do anything and everything you could ever imagine doing. From clearing rooms, to urban warfare, long range sniping.

There's my $0.02, and it's worth what you paid for it. No refunds or exchanges. ;):cheers:

And FWIW, the 6.5 Grendel eats the 6.8 Special Purpose Cartridges lunch every day at school, but I wouldn't go that route unless I was a handloader with a progressive machine.

Well, my problem was solved today by one of our new elected prosecutors. He just happened to have two extra "new in the box" DPMS 308s with Trijicon Relex sights to go with them. He actually called while I was reading this post and asked if I would like to have one of them!!

I won't actually own it <_< , but as long as I'm stationed in this County, I can use it like its mine :cheers: ! So, all I need to buy is a scope and mount to switch between the Reflex sight and a telescopic sight.

Thanks for all of the input!

Edited by rangertrace

I got a couple 6.8s for kicks but haven't shot them enough to say much about the cartridge. Just started loading using 115gr SMKs and yet to test the load. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Grendel and might look into that next. It may well be a lot better than the 6.8 but why is the 6.8 much more popular?

Compare ballistic coefficients between projectiles available for the 6.8SPC and the 6.5 Grendel. That sways a lot of folks, but not towards the 6.8. It's probably more popular because Rock River and Remington, both very large and respected gun manufacturers, produced guns available in the 6.8SPC.

Compare ballistic coefficients between projectiles available for the 6.8SPC and the 6.5 Grendel. That sways a lot of folks, but not towards the 6.8. It's probably more popular because Rock River and Remington, both very large and respected gun manufacturers, produced guns available in the 6.8SPC.

+1

Why people even bother with that anemic round just confuses me.

When you compare BC's and velocities of the 6.5 projectiles, you get the all around perfect round. Velocities are respectable so a long barrel life can be expected; this coupled with the higher ballistic coefficient of the projectile makes it a very accurate rifle that won't burn out a barrel quickly.

I regret selling my 6.5.

I built a 6.8 3 or 4 years ago and I think it is a great short range deer rifle. Rifle has a Douglas barrel but good accuracy has been hard to achieve. Lately I've been using 110gr accubonds and they are pretty accurate and effective. You may have trouble finding a durable bullet for hogs...varmints and light animals won't be a problem. Have you seen the new .30 AR round Remington has come out with? It uses a .308 boltface but is in a AR-15 platform. They say ballistics are close to .308.

The 6.8 Rem is more popular because of the Remington marketing machine. Remember when it came out? Remington announced it was the replacement for the 5.56 and had been adopted by the Army.

The 6.5 Grendal was developed by Alexander Arms and Bill Alexander is his own marketing operation.

The 6.5 shoots rings around the 6.8 especially at long range. Wolf makes brass case ammo and Lapua makes cases and ammo for Alexander Arms.

My .02 worth

Dave