Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses a fiber optic?

bkeeler

I've been using the Sevigny Competition set with the black front on my G34 and G17 now for almost 3 years. This past Fall I switched them over to the Sevigny F/O fronts. I'm still on the fence, some days I just want to switch them back to all black, but I leave them on to see if they help. The thing I notice about the Sevigny at least, is that the F/O rod is higher in the post, or more at the top, so it makes good sight alignment a litter easier. However during some stages all I can remember seeing is that big bright glowing red dot. I think I've lost some accuracy at distance, or at least it seems like I'm working harder for it. To me it seems like what it's coming down to is that I can get a good sight picture with either, but the all black front is easier, faster and more consistant. Hmm, think I just settled it for myself. Back to all black. B)

Years ago I tried a fiber front sight. At first I thought it was great. Like WOW, theres the front sight! But I used to switch between open and limited all the time. I found that I was looking at the glowing dot in front of me and not lining up my sights. Shots started getting a bit loose, shall we say. Went back to an iron sight, and things tightened back up. Think 50 yard standards. I was looking for the dot and not looking for my sights. In my opinion, they work great, for short range stuff. Not so much for the tight, thread the needle shots. But, that's just my opinion.

I like my fiber optic front, but I like because it has an extra part that comes up in front of the fiber with a smaller hole. Still has a very sharp black out line in my notch but draws my focus down the slide. Matt Cheely could say who made it as it is one of his guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went back to the red fiber for practice this weekend. Well found it was way to bright so I went home and decided to dim it way down. I think it did help me keep focus on the sight but it was so bright that it was washing everything out(fuzzy).

I dimmed it way down it still glows in day light but not like a new one.

BK

I keep the dot very small and put a couple layers of super glue on the fiber to dim it out. I use a green rod .040", and the dot isn't over .050". I want just enough to make the front sight faster to see, after I see it I shoot the top edge of the blade just like you would with a plain black blade....

You can learn to do well with anything.

Some guns I have them on and some I don't. I might even go back to Black on Black for my Revo this year.

I don't think a FO is going to help a great deal, if at all. But practice will.

• 2 months later...
I like my fiber optic front, but I like because it has an extra part that comes up in front of the fiber with a smaller hole. Still has a very sharp black out line in my notch but draws my focus down the slide. Matt Cheely could say who made it as it is one of his guns.

I think that sight is the Brazos Microdot; I have the same front sight with a stock STI/Bomar rear on my Edge and like it as well. In my humble opinion, the fiber optic does not hurt accuracy when I slow down and use basic fundamentals (front sight in sharp focus, target and rear sight blurry, sights aligned properly) for longer targets. The fiber front seems to speed up front sight acquisition for close hoser targets. :D

Interesting results in the poll. It seems that as shooters go up in class, less use fiber optic fronts...

• 3 years later...

I need some help . I just purchased a Ruger 22/45 MK III . I want to buy a fiber optic front sight for it. I searched around but I haven't been able to find one with a small dia. lite pipe. It seems the only ones that I found come with the .090 dia. pipes. I prefer something around .040 dia. Anybody have any suggestions ? Thanks, Ron

B in production fiber optic = yes

I had an interesting experience where I had to replace the red fiber on my sight and only had green available. Just switching colors seemed to draw my eye that much more. I think I'm going to switch back and forth from time to time during the season.

M in Open, back before it was open and with Iron Sights and didn't use a FO then.

M in Rev and A in all else, though close in L10, and use a Green FO in all.

Tried switching back to plain FS and ended up trying them painted Orange, finally went back to FO and don't notice a problem.

Even use them in Bianchi Production Division, Expert only, and don't notice a loss of accuracy for me.

Might point out though that I hate a FO that isn't recessed, the FO I use must be a "Clean" Dot and a fairly small one a .040 I think.

• 2 weeks later...