Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's bluing removed?

Nemo

My smithy finished revitalizing my springfield skinny gun. He asked me if I wanted it Duracoated or blued and I went for the bluing because the next step is to get the slide hard chromed and the frame IonBonded. I asked him to polish the slide's flats and would like to keep it that way for when it goes to the hard chrome.

Would the plater have to blast the slide to remove the bluing prior to applying the chrome or is there a chemical way to remove the blue without altering the metal surface? If it will require blasting, I think I'll keep it blued until it's back to in-the-white.

This is a tiny bit of a drift...(sorry Nemo).... but how do they take off e-nickle???? Sand blast???? I have a Colt that needs a make over.

Acid strip, it takes forever to remove nickel that way depending on the thickness.

If you sandblast it there is a good chance of blowing all of the tolerances.

Depending on what is wrong with your nickel you could probably buff out all of the imperfections.

A brass or silver polish can remove all the light stuff.

A polishing compound can get rid of the heavier stuff.

Just don't over do it. e-nickel is tuff stuff!!

Ultra ten Said

Depending on what is wrong with your nickel you could probably buff out all of the imperfections.

Just don't over do it.

This is flat e-nickel factory Colt finnish... which is not a finish that could be improved with any of these sugggestions (to my knowledge)

This is a 35 year old gun and it needs to have the finish stripped. It's a Combat Commander and I want to use it as a base gun for a re-build.

Ultra ten Said

Just don't over do it.

This is flat e-nickel factory Colt finnish... which is not a finish that could be improved with any of these sugggestions (to my knowledge)

This is a 35 year old gun and it needs to have the finish stripped. It's a Combat Commander and I want to use it as a base gun for a re-build.

Didn't realize it was a flat e-nickel finish, your right, what I suggested won't work.

I'm used to seeing bright nickel, guess I just assumed.

If your going to keep the finish as it is your not going to have to strip it completely, but if your going to put any other finish on it, then the old nickel is going to have to go.

Check with some of your local platers, they should be able to do it for you.

If you can't find one let me know, I know of a couple here in New York that can do it for you.

Good luck on your project.

Nemo,

The guy that did my Edge after Matt lightened it did an awesome job. I'll let you look at it when I see you in 2 weeks and fill you in on the details. He's going to be doing the lower half of my Trojan here soon!

My smithy finished revitalizing my springfield skinny gun. He asked me if I wanted it Duracoated or blued and I went for the bluing because the next step is to get the slide hard chromed and the frame IonBonded. I asked him to polish the slide's flats and would like to keep it that way for when it goes to the hard chrome.

Would the plater have to blast the slide to remove the bluing prior to applying the chrome or is there a chemical way to remove the blue without altering the metal surface? If it will require blasting, I think I'll keep it blued until it's back to in-the-white.

Orange Juice does a pretty good job of removing gun bluing

My favorite is Corrosion-X, one of their largest stocking dealers happens to be local to me. I get the standard / general purpose version in the pump spray bottle. While not mentioned on their website, the stuff is used for tons of Military applications where corrosion is a problem. Otherwise, common Break-Free should work better than WD-40 for you. This stuff is also great for thinning out Slide Glide.

If anyone wants to try some out but can't obtain it, shoot me a PM.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

So does the acid in my sweaty hands!

I hear that one, I can rust a gun quicker than almost anyone out there

Makes sense since blueing is a form of rust. Any rust-removing product (such as Navel Jelly or Jasco Prep and Prime) will strip blueing. Main ingredient tends to be phosphoric acid IIRC. I just blast the blueing off in prep for parkerizing, since the acid tended to just make a mess of things.