Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Painting an STI grip...

kgunz11

So I bought a red STI grip from a forum member a while back and wanted to do a little something with it. Howard offered to paint it for my wife and we sincerely appreciate the kind gesture, but it gave me something to do when I got bored. Had to take the pooch to get her hair did today and while I waited I went to the local hobby shop and bought and air brush kit and some paint.

The painting process was pretty simple, but since I plan to do more I will photo the process next time for anyone interested. I'm a DIY kinda guy and just enjoy being able to do as much work on my own pistols as possible. Now granted, this would look a whole lot better on my Hard Chromed Edge with HC magwell, I put it on the Eagle for now. I stippled the grip before painting it then laid a clear coat over the top when I got finished. Lessons learned, prime the grip first, and apply the lighter colors first and go over them with the darker color for better transitions. On this grip, I did the red first and finished off with the yellow. If I do these colors again I'll put the yellow down first.

Here's a few pics... whatcha think?

DSC00019Large.jpg

DSC00021Large.jpg

DSC00023Large.jpg

DSC00024Large.jpg

I don't know how durable it's going to be. I used airbrush paint for this one and the girl told me if it holds up to all the bugs and crap plus the washing off of those same bugs on a airbrushed license plate then it should work well for a pistol grip. I guess we'll find out after some solvents hits it.

It is a slippery slope Bobby, and painting detail other than splashes on a textures surface is a NIGHTMARE. I encourage you to try everything under the sun, it IS fun and cool. I have at least one and probably two cracked grips around here that I can send you to practice new stuff on too if you want them. You can paint them 20 times and it won't matter.

Looks great Bobby. I have a painted grip on my Bedell limited gun. Held up well except the trigger gaurd where it contacts the holster.

Yes I was aware of that being a contact point, thus the reason I left it red on top. :D If it starts to wear through some it is still going to be red underneath since it started out as a red grip to begin with. :cheers:

Well I got bored again and have more grips I can paint so I went out and did one in honor of Jay's new 6"er.

I should put the red to black grip on the Eagle and the red to yellow on the Edge.

But here's the red to black on the Edge.

DSC00032Large.jpg

DSC00034Large.jpg