Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaching plateaus

JasonC

I'm waiting for the next plateau. I need some rest... :yawn:

I do agree that plateaus are a good opportunity to do a "ruthless self-assessment" as I call them. It is hard to be objective when you are improving.

Edited by VegasOPM

• 4 weeks later...
Dang guys, I like riding back down the hill for a little while, just so I can climb back up later :bow:

Nahhh, I'm just jealous I haven't hit any yet.

I bet you have passed several, and just need some guidance to see the better -You-. <_< let me put on my magic hat. <_< .. <_< OK take No shoots. In the past you used to look at a stage with No Shoots and notice the no shoot first and maybe even count them. But "The New You" gets to stage and looks at the shots to be made and only notices the No Shoots that crowd the shot. The new plateau YOU does not fret the extra no shoots that are not close to the shot you want to make.

your welcome

I need to come shoot some of your matches.

It seems like all the no shoots I encounter crowd my shots.

Heck, I shoot some of'em just for spite. (thats what I say anyway) :goof:

thanks for the magic anyway. :cheers:

It's interesting how we perceive where we are. If my skills are far better than they were two years ago, but not better than they were last month, have I reached a plateau?

I believe that judgements based in time can cause some of the greatest illusions of life in this mortal coil. Put simply, we are where we are. And we can't be anywhere else.

Judging myself has always caused me to personally believe that I have reached a plateau. But, without the judging, there can be no possibility of a plateau. So is the plateau simply an illusion based on a false belief based in time?

It's interesting how we perceive where we are. If my skills are far better than they were two years ago, but not better than they were last month, have I reached a plateau?

I believe that judgements based in time can cause some of the greatest illusions of life in this mortal coil. Put simply, we are where we are. And we can't be anywhere else.

Judging myself has always caused me to personally believe that I have reached a plateau. But, without the judging, there can be no possibility of a plateau. So is the plateau simply an illusion based on a false belief based in time?

Lotta Zen here, I like it. Thanks

I hit that "level barren field" and until I followed some of the suggestions here on the forum's I never improved. It took me forever to make "B" in open. When I started to practice one or two things at a time the "B" card showed up and within a couple of months I started to knock on "A's" door. I think I worried about everything so much that it all seemed insurmountable. When I picked a few things and started to work on them one or two at a time I eventually got off that crappy plateau. Good luck and have fun. Oh, Steve Anderson's dryfire books helped me. I used them to help me develop a routine catered around what I thought where my weaknesses.

I also used to think of it as a "level barren field", which is the reason for my post. Now I choose to think of it as evidence that my practice has created positive results. My most enjoyable shooting occurs while on a plateau because it is the time when I feel the most freedom from expectations. I just shoot and everything flows. When it's time to move on, the next area for improvement presents itself.

Sam- The plateau exists whether or not you are there to judge it. All we can do is choose how we relate to it. And after all the philosophical discussions have been done to death, there really is just the practice.

My most enjoyable shooting occurs while on a plateau because it is the time when I feel the most freedom from expectations.

Jason, I'd say you really nailed it right there.

Whether we view where we are as a plateau or not, we are where we are.

I was taught years ago by a very smart martial atrs instructor.... that much learning (especially of very complicated skills) is in a step function.

You work across the step until your skills or knowledge are adequately polished and second nature... to propel you upward...... then you find yourself on a new step that you must master (own) before you reach the point when you can ascend again.

Likewise if you fail to grow, or improve, or practice, you slide across the step and eventually fall straight down to the next lower level.

Edited by MichiganShootist

• 3 weeks later...