Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Timer for 1st Timer

F/V Icy Swan

Thanks for the tips. MDA, the link didn't work. I tried a manual search and found a lot of input regarding PACT units, but most of the information is several years old. Has PACT fallen from grace? The CED products look fine. The 7000 looks very handy, especially for practice, but what practical features are given up over the 8000? thanks again.

I bought the CED 7000 last January as my first timer. I had used the Pocket Pro II some and found it to be perfectly fine, but I liked the size and the reviews I had read of the 7000.

After lots of dry fire with it for par times, I've found it to be excellent for practice. I've only used it in a match once and I found that I actually didn't know how to completely disable the par function and it screwed up a good run (unfortunately, it was mine). Now that I read the instructions again, I've used it under match conditions without incident.

I like it.

I've played with them all quite extensively. The CED 7000 is the best, smallest, and quite affordable. The battery lasts about 3 months of daily use. It's ridiculous.

Buy the 7000, one silicone skin, and the rotating belt clip. The wristband will look tempting for dryfire, but it's too bulky for that, really. The rotating belt clip is great. When RO'ing, I don't hold the timer. Hit the button, leave it on my belt, and stay behind the shooter. Swing it up after 'range is safe!' for a peek at the time. Even better for dryfire or practicing by yourself.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have a Pocket Pro II, CED 7000 and CED 8000. They will all do pretty much anything you need. I do like the ability to use the headset with the 8000. If you don't want to disturb your family or you're in a hotel, you can just use the little earphones (sorta like an IPod setup) and nobody will know what's going on. I really like the 7000 for practice...use the rotating clip and just flip it up to see your times. Nothing wrong with the Pocket Pro II...a solid timer that works well.

I have a Pocket Pro II, CED 7000 and CED 8000. They will all do pretty much anything you need. I do like the ability to use the headset with the 8000. If you don't want to disturb your family or you're in a hotel, you can just use the little earphones (sorta like an IPod setup) and nobody will know what's going on. I really like the 7000 for practice...use the rotating clip and just flip it up to see your times. Nothing wrong with the Pocket Pro II...a solid timer that works well.

I've found the low setting for the 7000's beep about perfect at home, or in a hotel.

Occasionally I've wanted it a good bit quieter, and a small piece of tape over the speaker quiets it down so that you can't hear it with the door closed.

Caveat for the CED 7000: If you are older or hgh-frequency hearing impaired, then you might not be able to hear the beep. Other than that, I really like mine.

H.

Yeah, I've had that issue.

Personally, I'm 29 and careful to wear hearing protection at work when needed, and for every shot I've ever fired. The high beep is louder/easier for me to hear.

We have an older local guy who went plugs-only with an Open gun for about a decade back in the 80s, and we all know to hold the timer RIGHT next to his muffs for the start.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have the CED7000 and really like it for individual training. However, almost everyone else in our club uses the Pocket Pro II. They are often confused with my timer. The beeps are also different, with the Pocket Pro being easier to hear for individuals with hearing issues.

• 1 month later...